Biscayne National Park Meeting Monday August 3

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Leadslinger
Old Salt

Biscayne National Park Meeting Monday August 3

Post by Leadslinger »

If you have the time to attend, please do. If you don't, please take a moment to send your rep a message concerning this closure of State waters.

Meeting is at 10:00 at the Dickinson Center 1601 N. Krome Ave, Homestead

Copied from:
http://naturalresources.house.gov/calen ... tID=399137

Click the link to read the memo if you wish to better informed. I posted from the phone, so excuse any mistakes with the links but I think they all work.

Joint Oversight Hearing on “Restricted Access at Biscayne National Park and Implications for Fishermen, Small Businesses, the Local Economy and Environment”
Monday, August 3, 2015 10:00 AM
Committee on Natural Resources & Committee on Small Business
Homestead, Florida
Add to my calendar

Joint Oversight Hearing on:

"Restricted Access at Biscayne National Park and Implications for Fishermen, Small Businesses, the Local Economy and Environment”
Hearing Memo
Member Statements:

The Honorable Rob Bishop
Committee on Natural Resources Chairman

The Honorable Steve Chabot
Committee on Small Business Chairman

Witnesses and Testimony:

PANEL I

Dr. Jerry Ault Professor
Department of Marine Ecosystems and Society
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
Miami, Florida

Mr. Bryan Boyd, Owner
Ocean Blue Yacht Sales
Stuart, Florida

Mr. Brian Carlstrom, Superintendent
Biscayne National Park
Homestead, Florida

Mr. Luis Garcia, Owner
Garcia’s Seafood Grille & Fish Market
Garcia Brothers Wholesale, Inc.
Miami, Florida

Mr. Carl Liederman, Owner
Captain Harry’s Fishing Supply
Miami, Florida

Ms. Jessica McCawley, Director
Division of Marine Fisheries Management
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Tallahassee, Florida

Mr. Ernie Piton
Commercial Fishermen
Florida Keys Commercial Fishermen’s Association,
Key Largo, Florida

Mr. Scott Salyers
Palmetto Bay, Florida

Mr. Bouncer Smith, Owner
Bouncer’s Dusky 33 Fishing Charters
Miami, Florida

Mr. Jimbo Thomas
Charter boat Captain
Miami, Florida

Related Documents:

Full Committee Hearing Notice - August 3, 2015

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Biscayne National Park Meeting Monday August 3

Post by gruntking »

i'll be there just because i heard they were going to close from 79st south
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

Can someone explain a little in depth of what's going on please? They are going to close where exactly? Thank you

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

from what i understand from some fwc fish measureing lady they are talking about from 79st south
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 37869.html

I don't think it's as north as 79st more like south of key biscayne, but that far north would be even worse.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

dude the lady with the fwc shirt at the ramp told me from 79st south
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

That would be almost the entire biscayne bay, I don't remember it being that bad but I'm pretty sure it ends around key biscayne

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

appreciate the info.. please keep us updated if you have more info this is interesting

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Well im ok with it I still might go but it don't really effect me
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

gruntking wrote:Well im ok with it I still might go but it don't really effect me
It will when all the fisherman who cant fish that area anymore move north your way or south lol
it's definitely gonna affect other areas just to make one area slightly better, what they want doesn't make sense. The upper keys, and key biscayne will be next once this happens

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I hate to say but it does make sense

California has done the same thing and it has greatly improved there fisherie they even call the spill over areas Jurassic park

Look no matter what you want to think it's for the better we need an area where the bait pilchards ballyhoo etc can live with out being molested where they can spawn

Idk how long you have been fishing or if you even know what your doing but I forsure have seen a big time drop in bait schools
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

gruntking wrote:Look no matter what you want to think it's for the better we need an area where the bait pilchards ballyhoo etc can live with out being molested where they can spawn

Idk how long you have been fishing or if you even know what your doing but I forsure have seen a big time drop in bait schools
First off why make it personal? I only said for u to be wary of fisherman dispersing to your area, your not that much older than me so maybe you have 5 or so more years of fishing on me and I do know what I'm doing. Obviously you don't because ballyhoo spawn on the edge of the gulfstream and over reef which is mainly the outside the east edge of this fishing closure people will still be able to get all the bait they need over the reef. Since your so worried about baitfish only, why are you selling bait? Take what you need and let the rest live. Anyways this closure isn't really over bait it's about the coral reef and size and abundance of fish. It funny cuz I don't think you'd be preaching what you just said if it did include you area there by 79th st

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Is this even a open to the public meeting ?
I think you are way to late to do enough to have any affect, unless you are an attorney and have deep deep pockets.

I think the discussions and public input periods have been going on for several years...

I fish part of the area a lot and MPO is its not enough, there should be much more paddle and pole NMZ areas.. every time I go out I see more and more prop trench's, and see more and more people who should know better power up on the flats and power off up on a plane where common sense should tell them to idle , not to mention the morons who don;t know better motoring around.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: Yes and they are targeting us the fisherman like we are the ones who destroyed Biscayne bay, all the county water and sewage runoff, the dumb and drunk boaters tearing up seabeds that don't even fish... Your right it's way too late we should have been on top of it years back when these talks started....Hell they should make the county move mount trashmore that is literally ontop of the bay before they stop us fisherman from doing what has been done for years. And all the money this will take to happen will come out of our tax dollars what a joke

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

From my understanding, they will be closing the reef areas south of triumph reef to a little north of pacific. I honestly don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet. That area of the reef is very productive, and it will have people fishing the other reefs harder. My issue is, will this just be the beginning of them slowly shutting down some of the best (arguably the best) reef systems in Miami. Time will tell.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

baseball4life702 wrote::stupid: Yes and they are targeting us the fisherman like we are the ones who destroyed Biscayne bay, all the county water and sewage runoff, the dumb and drunk boaters tearing up seabeds that don't even fish... Your right it's way too late we should have been on top of it years back when these talks started....Hell they should make the county move mount trashmore that is literally ontop of the bay before they stop us fisherman from doing what has been done for years. And all the money this will take to happen will come out of our tax dollars what a joke
Honestly, fisherman are to blame for messing up the reef. I am not saying it's 100% fisherman, but these areas get hit hard. On a daily basis someone is out there dropping anchor (lots of them dragging anchor) catching and keeping/killing fish. Not to mention guys jumping in and spearing every micro hogfish/mangrove they see. I am not anti fishing by any means, but lets be realistic. Fisherman (commercial/recreational) fishing up the reef system more than anyone.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Miami_Chris wrote: Honestly, fisherman are to blame for messing up the reef. I am not saying it's 100% fisherman, but these areas get hit hard. On a daily basis someone is out there dropping anchor (lots of them dragging anchor) catching and keeping/killing fish. Not to mention guys jumping in and spearing every micro hogfish/mangrove they see. I am not anti fishing by any means, but lets be realistic. Fisherman (commercial/recreational) fishing up the reef system more than anyone.

I wouldn't consider those reefs to be messed up, the real bay inside Elliott key and south is what is messed up. I fish/dive pacific reef a lot and I don't see any difference from the reefs down in the keys. So why such a panic.
And if those are the problems then why not just implement spearfishing ban or no anchor zone? That's what mooring balls are for to prevent anchoring..There are viable alternatives to a complete fishing closure. Another alternative would be to step up enforcement which they will have to do with this plan anyways, there is just no need for a ban on hook and line fishing imo. I don't believe that fisherman are the major part of the cause the county and leisure boaters will still continue to destroy the bay once the fishing stops. im not saying that the anchoring isn't hurting the reef or overfishing isn't occuring but those are problems all areas face and the nps is dealing with their problem in the wrong way

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Look ive gone to a bunch of captain meetings where the local guides have been the ones pushing for this closer

Bouncer is one of the main ones pushing for the closed zones originally they were talking about an area offshore say from 20 To 60ft

Im not making it personal only reason I said anything about how long you've been fishing is because if you know what your doing or if you have been fishing for some years you would have seen the downfall
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

baseball4life702 wrote:
Miami_Chris wrote: Honestly, fisherman are to blame for messing up the reef. I am not saying it's 100% fisherman, but these areas get hit hard. On a daily basis someone is out there dropping anchor (lots of them dragging anchor) catching and keeping/killing fish. Not to mention guys jumping in and spearing every micro hogfish/mangrove they see. I am not anti fishing by any means, but lets be realistic. Fisherman (commercial/recreational) fishing up the reef system more than anyone.

I wouldn't consider those reefs to be messed up, the real bay inside Elliott key and south is what is messed up. I fish/dive pacific reef a lot and I don't see any difference from the reefs down in the keys. So why such a panic.
And if those are the problems then why not just implement spearfishing ban or no anchor zone? That's what mooring balls are for to prevent anchoring..There are viable alternatives to a complete fishing closure. Another alternative would be to step up enforcement which they will have to do with this plan anyways, there is just no need for a ban on hook and line fishing imo. I don't believe that fisherman are the major part of the cause the county and leisure boaters will still continue to destroy the bay once the fishing stops. im not saying that the anchoring isn't hurting the reef or overfishing isn't occuring but those are problems all areas face and the nps is dealing with their problem in the wrong way
I get what you are saying, but how can we say the reef isn't being messed up? Ask any old timer that was fishing/diving these same areas 20+ years ago and ask them how much the area has changed. I agree with you in that an all out closure isn't the best idea, but it is deff the simplest and probably most effective way of establishing some sort of positive change. Like I said before, it can be a good thing, but can also be a slippery slope.

I know it's not the best for the reef, but fishing off of mooring balls sucks. I don't want to fish a designed spot.

Also this closure seems to be focusing on the ocean side of biscayne national park, not the bay itself.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yes I agree, they are focusing on the reefs when the bay is the real problem that area is barren. The reef should have a different more relaxed management plan,,I'm all for no fishing and nmz's in the bay which probably needs a decade to recover.
But you said it yourself in your first post, it's some of the best fishing around so I don't see how we did too much damage but the number of fisherman is drastically increasing. Yea old timers say it was even better before but should we believe all their stories lol..
Now as for the mooring balls let me tell you I do some of my best snapper fishing off them. All the googs that go there don't know how to fish so if you know what your doing the mooring balls can be really productive, theres one in 40ft off pacific, I'm always catching nice oversize tails and grovers along with some other species too and all the bait you could want from hoos to even speedos every now and then. But hey id rather fish them then not be able to fish at all lol

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

krash wrote:Is this even a open to the public meeting ?
I think you are way to late to do enough to have any affect, unless you are an attorney and have deep deep pockets.

I think the discussions and public input periods have been going on for several years...

I fish part of the area a lot and MPO is its not enough, there should be much more paddle and pole NMZ areas.. every time I go out I see more and more prop trench's, and see more and more people who should know better power up on the flats and power off up on a plane where common sense should tell them to idle , not to mention the morons who don;t know better motoring around.

Your absolutely correct this has been going on for years hell when I was going to the captain's meetings a year ago with bouncer he was pushing for this along with a bunch of other guides in the area
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

gruntking wrote:Look ive gone to a bunch of captain meetings where the local guides have been the ones pushing for this closer

Bouncer is one of the main ones pushing for the closed zones originally they were talking about an area offshore say from 20 To 60ft

Im not making it personal only reason I said anything about how long you've been fishing is because if you know what your doing or if you have been fishing for some years you would have seen the downfall
I have seen downfall in the bay not out on the reef I still see plenty of bait and fish out there, I will admit the hogs have declined but that isn't our only species, and yes i know bouncer and jimbo and others have been pushing for closed areas but at the same time they were in talks for special permits to be issued to use the area.
I also admit I should have been going last year to the meetings but then it seemed like it wasn't going to happen guess that was my mistake

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

krash wrote:Is this even a open to the public meeting ?

Yes it's open to the public. The point of the meeting is to end all closures like this one in state waters by federal agencies. It's a fuzzy math NPS used here, not an honest and open didialogue which should happen when you're closing public areas.

Take a look at the public comment period input, form letters galore. If it's closed, it should be closed by FWC. Otherwise Biscayne needs to untie those those LE boats and patrol more, not just put up speacial buoys...like the NOAA ones off carysfort.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Well I shall see any of you aholes that are going just look for the beard
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

I'm at work, I dunno why it's on a Monday and wasn't Saturday or Sunday where more people could come I guess they did that on purpose too.
Let us know what the outcome was if they can reach a decision lol

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I'm not, had a personal emergency last nite, but would like to be a fly on the wall at that hearing... please report with an honest abe report of what happens at the meeting.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I just want to say Thanks to all I understand it better now and I appreciate you guys having an opinion and sharing and not taking this off topic this is good to know.

Threads like these are very good for many of us because we are not always up to date on everything well I know I am not anyways.

Thanks again everyone :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

It was a good meeting, I'll post more later this evening when I'm not driving.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BoatlessFisherman wrote: not taking this off topic this is good to know.
It was hard...but you are more than welcome. In a odd way, I was ranting to GK about something and GK asked nicely to keep it on topic.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”