Red Snapper

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
tears143
KING MACKEREL

Red Snapper

Post by tears143 »

Seems like Red snapper is open in statewater in the Atlantic and will open for ferderal water in the Atlantic as well.

3 miles from shore... wonder where you can catch some that's 20+" :-p

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Re: Red Snapper

Post by Username28 »

tears143 wrote:Seems like Red snapper is open in statewater in the Atlantic and will open for ferderal water in the Atlantic as well.

3 miles from shore... wonder where you can catch some that's 20+" :-p
Jacksonville, up near there. I know of some NICE ones caught up there.
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

too far >.< and I probably will need a boat eh?

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

tears143 wrote:too far >.< and I probably will need a boat eh?
yup x2
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

Good luck inside three miles up there. Closest spot is Jax wreck and I think that's 6 miles outside the inlet. Some guys have spots from shrimpers who snag their nets on the bottom inside three miles, but lips are sealed on those spots. Of course, it's tricky to prove the fish were caught inside or outside three miles.

The guys I know up there who hardly go offshore anymore because there's not much you can keep. It's seabass and triggers. Who targets those when you have the Jacksonville inshore fishery?

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

coolcow wrote:Good luck inside three miles up there. Closest spot is Jax wreck and I think that's 6 miles outside the inlet. Some guys have spots from shrimpers who snag their nets on the bottom inside three miles, but lips are sealed on those spots. Of course, it's tricky to prove the fish were caught inside or outside three miles.

The guys I know up there who hardly go offshore anymore because there's not much you can keep. It's seabass and triggers. Who targets those when you have the Jacksonville inshore fishery?
Some friends of mine are going up there next weekend for red snaps, I will let you know how they do next Monday :thumright:

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

so?

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

trip got cancelled...family issues. they will try again in 2 weeks.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

coolcow wrote:Good luck inside three miles up there. Closest spot is Jax wreck and I think that's 6 miles outside the inlet. Some guys have spots from shrimpers who snag their nets on the bottom inside three miles, but lips are sealed on those spots. Of course, it's tricky to prove the fish were caught inside or outside three miles.

i agree, it is very shallow up there for several miles with almost no structure/hard bottom. I would think the flounder, redfish, trout and whiting are other targets this time of year.
Forgot about the great sheephead fishery they have.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

The sheepshead fishing up there is second to none. You can't forget about the trout and black drum either.

Two weeks will be grouper season so it may be a good thing.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”