Mangrove snapper measured to tail or fork?

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Mangrove snapper measured to tail or fork?

Post by pinoyboykev »

Hey guys, I just got back from a trip to Sebastian inlet. I was able to hook up to literally hundreds of mangrove snapper all day, but only a few hit the 10 inch mark. What I was wondering is if the measurements are made to the tip of the tail with the tail pinched, or is it measured to the fork of the fish? When I was trying to look it up on my phone, all I could find was that FWC requires the fish to be 10 inches, not specifying whether or not it should be to the fork or tip of the tail. I primarily fish for mackerels and blues, so I am accustomed to measuring to the fork. If the FWC doesn't specify, is it safe to assume that measurements be taken to the tip of the tail?

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Re: Mangrove snapper measured to tail or fork?

Post by Username28 »

pinoyboykev wrote:Hey guys, I just got back from a trip to Sebastian inlet. I was able to hook up to literally hundreds of mangrove snapper all day, but only a few hit the 10 inch mark. What I was wondering is if the measurements are made to the tip of the tail with the tail pinched, or is it measured to the fork of the fish? When I was trying to look it up on my phone, all I could find was that FWC requires the fish to be 10 inches, not specifying whether or not it should be to the fork or tip of the tail. I primarily fish for mackerels and blues, so I am accustomed to measuring to the fork. If the FWC doesn't specify, is it safe to assume that measurements be taken to the tip of the tail?
pinch the tail....mangovers dont have forked tails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove_snapper

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profi ... y-snapper/
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Ahhh I see! Lol I feel like an idiot. For some reason I assumed that every fish has a fork. Derp derp derp. :drunk: :drunk: Thank you for clarifying that for me. I guess cause I started fishing years ago for only macks and blues, I just never came up with the idea that "to the fork" was only for forked fish :jester:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Also Mangrove limit is 5 per person per day, and count towards the 10 per person snapper aggregate limit per day.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Yes, I do know about the 5 person limit, that was pretty clear from the website. Just wasn't sure about the measuring, which is now very clear to me :mrgreen: . I caught 4 keepers, the biggest being 15 inches. They were my bycatch though, I was trying to find snook and reds to complete my bucket list :D , but I only hooked one snook who broke me off on a rock :mad: . Can't wait till season opens!

fauxcive
Fisher

Post by fauxcive »

Please forgive me if linking outside of the site is forbidden, but the below FWC link specifies whether to measure the fork or the end of the tail. Generally speaking, if there's a distinct fork, you measure to the fork, otherwise, compress the tail and measure full length: http://myfwc.com/media/2462342/2013%20Quick%20Chart.pdf

I should clarify that the symbols next to the fish name correspond to the notes at the end, part of which specify fork or total length.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

dude if you have to pinch the tail to make it legal its not worth keeping
if you have to measure a 10 inch grover its not worth keeping
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

gruntking wrote:dude if you have to pinch the tail to make it legal its not worth keeping
:stupid: I normally dont keep them unless they are at least 15"

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

Yeh, it's kinda tuff to keep 10 inch mangroves. Because they shrink when u put them on ice plus the little amount of meat. I would recommend keeping them 11 inches or over.

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Well if you guys want some keeper mangrove snapper. Fish the rocks along sebastian inlet, I saw some big ones in their probably pushing 15 inches, but they would put shrimp or lure on a rock before I could pull em out. Some guys were catching them on crappie jigs too.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

gruntking wrote:dude if you have to pinch the tail to make it legal its not worth keeping
Agree but kind hard on some fish that have a max limit as well, just like the snook. Just have to measure it perfectly...

fauxcive
Fisher

Post by fauxcive »

I'm particular with pinching the tail as the rule describes, particularly with fish that have a max size limit too, like snook. If you measure a 32" snook without a pinched tail, and FWC sees it and measures larger, you could be in some hot water.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

where the hell did yall come from with this snook bs were talking about grovers
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

rare wrote:Image
:shock:

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

It's measurement in general. :)

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”