Possible New Snook regs!

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Possible New Snook regs!

Post by Cookinman »

Sharkman954 wrote:I personaly think the slot size is good just make make the limit to 1
As much as I lke to practice Catch and Filet...heh heh heh, I pretty much release all my snook .... slot and in season - Personally not much difference to me. They are good to eat, however better to catch IMHO.

I am however with Sharkman954 - limit to one - slot is fine - tough to land one in slot anyway..

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

28 to 32 inches.. should be slot..according to the article this will only give the fish 1.5 years on the atlantic coast of being legal and more of a chance to become a reproductive female..Snook are hermaphrodites.. Males turn into females.. All over slot (current slot) size snook become females and should always be relased with out most care for survival.. With the smaller window slot size this will also help with reproductive smaller males only 1.5 years of vulnerabilty. This will give them a good chance to get into the 33 inch overslot size and are a outlaw for kill..

But like Cookinman said having a smaller slot is only going to keep the honest anglers honest..

Another thing to is when fishing for snook.. if you know there is big snook where you are fishing (and you are trying to fish for big snook) always try to use tackle that matches up to the fish.. 2500 sized reels, 30 lb braid & inshore rods just kill the fish and they are exuasted by the time you release them if not dead.. USE HEAVY TACKLE & ALWAYS TRY TO HORSE THEM IN WHILE THEY ARE STILL GREEN..

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

I poted this in the general chatter box, but wanted to put it here too....
Though I responded, earlier, this is a bit more of my opinion, good or not.
bridgefisher wrote:[url]http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=570953[/url

However i do think that snook are definately in trouble and and these new regs will not hurt anything. ...

Basically I am in agreement Bridge, Snook are in no worse shape now due to Slot and Harvest limits than they are due to habitat an forage depletion...But whatever, make it harder S'OK by me....

Wanna really try to fix it -

1 - Plant Mangrove Lines down the ICW Seawalls to start filtering the water and providing bait and fry sanctuaries......
2 - Hold Big Sugar accountable for their Fertilizer Pollution - I feel So F*cked by yet another Bush to the point I really want one of those Bastids to kiss me first next time. That entire family is a pimple on the ass of time with zero social conscience.
3 - REALLY treat and recycle the water we dump into the ocean instead of the slip shod treat and flush that happens now. When more water flows to the Glades S to the FL Bay - Things will only get worse inless that water is seriously treated. To much phosphate even if it just comes from lawn fertilizers....Wait till the " Coral Reef" folks start gaining momentum. They are already starting to Hollar about that and they are not wrong....

SoFL is grown in population by exponential numbers - We will never see the old days again, but really should try to save what we do have.

I could care less if it stays at 2 or goes to 1.....I throw em ALL back anyway, personally - Nothing against the guys that keep em, it IS your right and I would rigorously defend it alongside you, but IMHO - The problem is far bigger than slot size, season length and # of slots allowed.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Check out the Miami Herald sports section (1-14-07). A little more insight as to how the process has progressed.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”