Fishing Without A License

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Fishing Without A License

Post by GetFish »

So, the other day a friend of mine invited me out on his boat. Problem is, I kinda forgot to acquire a fishing license. While we were out we got pulled over by FWC, and I was cited for not having a license. This was my first time out on a private boat, so it kinda slipped my mind before heading out. I asked the officer if there was a way to avoid the citation, and he said that maybe if I got a license that same day, I would be able to fight it. So, as soon as we hit the shore, I went and got my license. So now i'm wondering if I should try to fight it in court. While I was fishing without a license, I did my best to make up for it by buying one as soon as humanly possible. Anybody have an advice on what I should do? If there was a set court cost that I knew ahead of time, I would fight it in a second, but I don't want to get hit with some court costs that are higher than the ticket itself. Any input is appreciated.

Eddie305
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Fishing Without A License

Post by Eddie305 »

I take all my tickets to ticketclinic or something of that nature, they normally only charge 80 to 110 bucks at the most and u never get any points or anything, The thing is i dont know if its gonna be the same for a fishing license, due to its not MDPD.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Eddie305 wrote:I take all my tickets to ticketclinic or something of that nature, they normally only charge 80 to 110 bucks at the most and u never get any points or anything, The thing is i dont know if its gonna be the same for a fishing license, due to its not MDPD.
Fishing violations are criminal offenses, not traffic. I would definitely fight it, tell the judge exactly what you said here, and keep your fingers crossed. If you are found guilty, you will have a misdemeanor conviction on your record that will follow you.

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

So if I just pay it (which is admitting to guilt), i'll have a misdemeanor? Sh*t.

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

I didn't know I could have called or I gladly would have. It was as soon as we got back to shore; a few hours later.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I honestly would suggest speaking with an attorney, if you are worried about the repercussions of a misdemeanor. None of us (that I know of) are lawyers that can give you accurate info...I know I would talk to a lawyer if I was in your shoes, for something like this that could affect jobs, housing, etc in the future.

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) I got a speeding ticket once. I drove slow the rest of the way home. They still made me pay it.

As for the fishing lic,... I doubt they will kill you with a huge fine in the same way they could if you are harvesting "undersize/oversize/ over amount/ illegal selling" fish type of ticket.
Maybe since you can show you went and got it right after, they may just get you with a court cost and drop the rest like broken headlights and tickets like that.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

Zebco wrote:8)they may just get you with a court cost and drop the rest like broken headlights and tickets like that.
That's kind of what I was hoping for. The ticket is only $73, so i'm still debating just paying it or taking my chances of being let off a little easier.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

the rule states that you must show a valid licence at the time of the ticket , and since you stated that you bought it afterwards your screwed , best advice is to pay the ticket , ive been threw this one time already ! since i live in ga and most of my family lives in jaxsonville thought we could just find some out of the way place and fish for a bit nope got busted for no license in flordia bought one as soon as i could and fought the case and lost due to it was bought after the time on the ticket !!! had to pay the ticket and court cost ended up like 250.00 by the time it was done .... so now i just buy a 5 year sportsman for out of state ....

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

GetFish wrote:
Zebco wrote:8)they may just get you with a court cost and drop the rest like broken headlights and tickets like that.
That's kind of what I was hoping for. The ticket is only $73, so i'm still debating just paying it or taking my chances of being let off a little easier.
8) Btw,.. court cost alone can go a couple hundred.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

A Long long time ago, I received the same ticket. Did not pay, showed up in court to fight it, with the licence bought the same day of the ticket. (Before computers). Unfortunately, My court appearance, was in the AM, I showed up in the PM. Bench warrant issued, Contempt of court. Fine doubled, new court case. Turned myself in to the jail for booking, got cuffed and frisked, but did get to watch some soap operas with some teenage shop lifters. Ended up with a suspended sentence, Probation, and a record. oops!
A true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing much
as a child approaches Christmas, with the eager
anticipation, sleepless nights, making of lists,
and the anticipating of pleasure.

Eman305
Weekend Warrior

Post by Eman305 »

To the guy who's post is above mine, I think you had to go through that cause they issued the warrant and once they do that them bitches don't play.

One time a couple years back, I got pulled over with my bro cause he had an expired tag n broken light and. We were smelling like a pound cause we had just left my boys house and poop, long story short I was issued a PTA(promise to appear) , missed the first court hearing because I never been there, got caught in a thunder storm and called the judge office explaining my situation, the girl who answered called the court room to let them know, because my name hadn't been called and no warrant was issued I was given a different date. The girl I talk to said I was lucky , told me if they had called my name and wasn't there I would have a warrant for my arrest for not appearing.

I tell you all that to tell you that I researched about how to proceed since I never been in the situation, I found out that IF the arresting officer is not there and there is no representative there on his behalf, you can say not guilty and the charges have to be dropped because there has to be someone on the states behalf to testify against you. Idk what you would call it but its a loop hole in The justice system, I don't think i had to pay court fee either.

Idk if the laws apply the same for your ticket but I figured I'd throw it out there, give a different perspective .

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

We might have also been smelling like a pound. lol. I think I might just go ahead and pay the damn thing. It was my fault for forgetting to get it anyway. I just wish they had a different system for first time offenders to just get the license and show proof to the court like they do with certain car violations.

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

i got a ticket for fishing at a spillway without a freshwater license but i was never on the freshwater side. Although i did get a warning for trespassing too i didnt argue with the officers. just paid the same $73 i think

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”