Maybe problem again for snook

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

All you need is one

Prowler13angler
Weekend Warrior

Post by Prowler13angler »

What i think is wrong with who ever is in charge of making the regulations is, they're only going to wait untill the numbers get bad before they make their move. Come on, DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT DECLINES! What is the worst that can happen then? Everyone can go out and have a great time catching, keeping ONE and releasing their fish... Sounds like a great day out on the water for little johnny and his father.

Snook fishing is my favorite, i would hate to see it decline.

-Jon

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

I agree with you there but they also need to start cracking down on people taking undersize snook. :( :( :(
Plz put back the small ones.

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

phillybass71 wrote:I agree with you there but they also need to start cracking down on people taking undersize snook. :( :( :(
This is the most important part. You can have a 27 - 29 inch size regulation on snook and people are still going to take them. Closed season open season it dont matter. Short snook and oversize snook are taken 365 days a year.. Lets say only 5 undersize and only 5 oversize snook are taken in south florida everyday..10 x 365 = 3,650 snook
3,650 snook per year x 5 years = 18,250 snook..
Thats alot of snook that are not able to have offspring in a timeframe of only 5 years. You do not need to do all these studys and test and this and that to know snook populations are low.. Its time and state money not utilized. The time and money should be utilized for...
fish and game enforcement..

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

repair wrote:I have two numbers on my cell for just that reason.
Both to F.W.C. #392 the other is 561-625-5122
And they will be used if needed
Do not keep but one Snook or 2 a year really as a major portion of my catch come from spillways....

But ya, so if slot fish are tough to catch, then they are obviously having the intended effect ....

Keep it as is, or make it harder to keep one IMHO.

However CE has a great point in that this only keeps the honest folks Honest.......

Sad, but true.

stormrunner
Seasoned Fisher

snook

Post by stormrunner »

Bridgefisher is right. This is alot biger than honest recreational fisherman taking limits. It has amazed me for years that fish go ArOuNd Broward. North and South of us they have tons of bait. North and South of us they get genuine red snapper. North and South of us they catch lots of trout. North and South of us they catch lots of red fish. I havent seen any good mullet runs for several years. I havent seen anygood shrimp runs for several years.......shall i go on....Is it Polution? Is it loss of habitat? Is it because of the Port puming out smoke polution 24/7? Is it because of the sewage lines pumping Sh%t out all day? AAAAHHHHH I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW!!!!!!! I think I will go down to the beach and swim in some sewage, watch the three legged seagulls with glowing green heads pick at the dead fish washed up on the beach and dodge syringes....
Do the right thing and forget about it no one needs to know - just you.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Would it be ok if I moved this to enviroment area I think it belongs there, I don't think it is Off Topic .

I thought I would ask and see what you thought, PM me you don't need to reply here, I will just remove along with this reply in a day or so if you do reply here to this.

I think this is interesting to hear everyones take on it.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

I'm not going to PM you BF move it where you feel it is appropiate. I feel as strongly as the others about this. It's easy to go on a tear about "I remember when". We only have our selves to blame. Folks you can't change the past,focus your energies in a positive way for change. What's that saying "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem". Regards David.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

bridgefisher,A journey starts with one step,all that you witness did not happen overnight. A positive impact is in increments that we can't see, yet. One example is the filling of a canal down near ENP. You probably didn't hear about it ,but it's one step toward restoration. I understand why you didn't approach the person on Ft. Myers pier. There is strength in numbers,maybe next time you can take a quick concensus of those around you. There is a good chance they may feel the same. Now all of you can approach such people. Just do it in a nonconfrontaional manner. Treat it like an educational issue if folks are made aware of the ramifacations of there actions they may change. To paraphase "for evil to win,good men do nothing". BTW, Linesider needs a hand have you read his post? Regards David.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

These issues are much larger than a slot and number limit on a gamefish.
Our Coastline will NEVER be the same again.

These problems that Jighead and Bridgefisher outlined are deep running andnot easily solveable....and ya Stormrunner, the stinkhole sickens me to no end just to know it happens.

Worst part is water treatment technology is FAR superior in many other areas that NEED to reuse their Poatable water supply. Here, it is treated to the minumum extend and dumped because it is convenient.

The only really good news is that S FL has greater potential to"Heal Itself" than many other places due to the unigue geographic features ( IE The Gulf Stream dipping so close with all those nutrients.

Once the damaging behavioris put to end, it can rebound, it is not yet too late....Just look at the success the net ban spawnwd in fish stock revitalization.....

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

jighead wrote:A positive impact is in increments that we can't see, yet. One example is the filling of a canal down near ENP. You probably didn't hear about it ,but it's one step toward restoration.
Y'know, this "Restoration" and 8increasedflow will do irreprable damage to theliving Coral in the Nortern Keys as Nutrient rich water drains South in never before seen amounts. Water flow now cannot be the same as water flow 50 years ago. Storm and Ag. Runoff will create more issues for Coral than lack of water does for the Glades......

We simply need a far more efficient Water treatment system if any of this is to be even moderately successful.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”