Dania pier fishng regulations on the HARVESTING of shark

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Cuervobill
Fisher

Dania pier fishng regulations on the HARVESTING of shark

Post by Cuervobill »

Question regarding Dania Pier fishing rules:

Dania fishing pier rules & regulations state No shark fishing and no reels larger than 4.0

My question is I am assuming Dania pier does not desire specific shark fishing on the pier as it would attract sharks into the area and they may interfere with swimmers and cause problems. However the rule does not state that if a shark is caught on the Dania pier using a legal reel and hook system you are not allowed to harvest the shark permitting that you follow the guidelines for keeping/harvesting a legal size and type of shark. Keep in mind there is a big difference between SHARK FISHING and SHARK HARVESTING and I would appreciate everyone keeping this in mind when reading the rest of this comment.

Bonnet head and Nurse sharks are excellent eating, Mind you I have read other posts and would never consider harvesting a shark I will not eat. As a matter of fact whenever possible if a shark is accidentally hooked and not intended to keep we make every effort to remove the hook and release.

My argument is this, many people are of the opinion that it is illegal to HARVEST a legal sized permitted shark on the Dania pier. I have checked with FWC who advised keeping a legal shark is not a problem as far as they are concerned. You may harvest 1 shark per day, and the shark may be gutted and bled on the pier but must be kept in whole condition until off the beach and must be of legal type and size. Dania pier rules specifically state NO SHARK FISHING they do not say no shark harvesting. We use spinning and baitcasting reels of legal size but occasionally catch a shark using live bait. To be enforceable Dania's pier rule should read No shark fishing or harvesting if they do not want people to keep the legal sharks they catch. As it is written the current pier rule is too vague to be enforced in this area.

We have been told that Dania Beach and Broward county has laws restricting the harvesting of a shark on Dania or Broward county piers and beaches, jettys etc... I have found there is no law or ordinance which prohibits the harvesting of a shark on a pier. The only laws and ordinances I have located deal with the standard shark size and type of legal shark to keep or not keep, where you can fish or not fish for sharks. See the Florida state regulation listed below:

68B-44.004 Landing in Whole Condition; Transit Through State Waters.
(1) All sharks harvested from State of Florida waters shall be landed in a whole condition. Except as provided for in subsection (2), the possession, while in or on the waters of the state, on any public or private fishing pier, or on a bridge or catwalk attached to a bridge from which fishing is allowed, of any shark that has had the head removed, been divided, filleted, ground, skinned, finned, or had the caudal (tail) fin removed is prohibited. Mere evisceration or “gutting” of such fish or slicing the base of the caudal fin to bleed the carcass as long as the caudal fin remains attached before landing is not prohibited.
(2) The landing requirements contained in this section, possession and bag limit restrictions contained in Rule 68B-44.003, F.A.C., and the prohibited species contained in Rule 68B-44.008, F.A.C., shall not apply to lawful commercial harvest in federal waters when such harvest is transported directly through state waters with gear appropriately stowed. Transit shall be direct, continuous and expeditious from the place where lawful harvest occurred to the place where the vessel is regularly docked, moored, or otherwise stored or to the place of the licensed wholesale dealer where the catch is to be sold. For the purpose of this section appropriately stowed means a longline may be left on the drum if all gangions and hooks are disconnected and stowed below deck. Hooks cannot be baited. All buoys must be disconnected from the gear; however buoys may remain on deck. A rod and reel must be stowed securely. Terminal gear (i.e., hooks, leaders, sinkers, flashers, or baits) must be disconnected and stowed separately from the fishing apparatus. Sinkers must be disconnected from the down rigger and stowed separately. Gillnets must be rolled, folded, or otherwise properly and securely stowed in sealed containers or compartments so as to make their immediate use as fishing implements impracticable.
Rulemaking Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 4-8-92, Amended 2-14-94, 1-1-98, Formerly 46-44.004, Amended 10-15-07, 1-19-10.

If any one can find an ordinance or law regarding No Shark Harvesting on Dania pier please let me know and show it to me.

FYI I have checked with pier personnel most of whom are not knowledgeable about the pier rules and simply only know the rule states No shark Fishing. I am not fishing for sharks in specific but if I catch one of legal type and size and intend to eat it, I want to keep it. Since Dania parks & recreation has taken over the pier no one seems to know the specifics regarding this post which leaves it to the laws of the city, county and state.

Please do not respond with radical opinions on this subject as I know there are many, please just stick to the facts via state, federal, county, and city laws & ordinances.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Dania pier fishng regulations on the HARVESTING of shark

Post by gruntking »

hey bill bro i think your taking this a lil over board look if they dont know at the front they cant say anything
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

City's can't regulate Bag limits, only Private as in a Dock or pier that is privately own..

City's may have laws which stop you from a certain type of fishing, but as you see there is no such law on Dania or Broward as to specific fish. Its just them trying to stop something that is legal
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

well welcome to boatless. see that you've been here for while.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

i dont care if people fish for sharks as long as its not around me . i have been on many piers that we were catch fish and some nutt brings up a shark and after that you might as well pack up and go home as the shark being there has moved the fish away from where your fishing and will take time for them to come back , so for piers to ban shark fishing off of them i agree with it , its just like up here we have a group of sharks guys they are rude as hell to other people and they destroy the pier they are fishing on so to me they can buy a boat and go fish some where else !!!!! one bad apple spoils the bunch

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

diggin4grouper wrote:i dont care if people fish for sharks as long as its not around me . i have been on many piers that we were catch fish and some nutt brings up a shark and after that you might as well pack up and go home as the shark being there has moved the fish away from where your fishing and will take time for them to come back , so for piers to ban shark fishing off of them i agree with it , its just like up here we have a group of sharks guys they are rude as hell to other people and they destroy the pier they are fishing on so to me they can buy a boat and go fish some where else !!!!! one bad apple spoils the bunch
he is talking about if you catch one with just a pilchard or like a bttmbait
not really sharkfishing
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

I dont like shark fishing on piers as much as the beach. to much hassle and the line would have to be cut or snapped from far up leaving the fish trailing lots of of line behind it. it would be better to beach it but when im down in that SF region i dont think its wise to do that or else life guards and swimmers will freak out about it.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”