measuring fish...

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
cotton
Weekend Warrior

measuring fish...

Post by cotton »

when measuring fish, lets say specifically mangrove snapper, how much do you allow for "ice shrinkage"? do some fish shrink worse than others?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: measuring fish...

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I've seen them shrink about a 1/2" or so. Here in FL mangroves only have to be 10" to keep, I never keep them under 12" or so though, so it's not a problem. With muttons, I like for them to be at least 16 1/2" to keep so I don't have to worry.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

like rory said. measure the fish without a pinched tail. if its clearly a keeper without any debate then it should be a keeper with shrinkage after a pinched tail.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Keep them WELL iced and WET too!
This will help slow any shrinkage (length and weight).

:idea: Note: I keep a soaking wet towel in my ice chest to wrap fish up in (especially on HOT or DRY days).
It helps with any fish that are even close to minimum length :eye:

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) They shrink about 1/8th in inch when sitting in the slushy water for a bit of (realistic)time.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

i wondered why (when the first time i went on an overnight trip) the captain said the fish like snappers, AJs, and grouper had to be larger than the actual legal size. now i know the reason for sure.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”