Tuesday Delray Proposed Ordinance Meeting: Attendance List

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Tuesday Delray Proposed Ordinance Meeting: Attendance List

Post by Sean Paxton »

With a few days left, let's start getting a head count for those planning to attend the meeting this coming Tuesday in Delray. I've talked to a lot of people in pm's and on the phone that are committed. Anyone else, go ahead and post up here and / or give me a call or pm. Zach, and others on the committee spearheading this effort also have growing lists.

Our thanks go out to everyone that's provided their time, opinion, thought and input. It will all make a difference when the rubber meets the road.
stp
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com
LandBasedSharkFishing.com

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Re: Tuesday Delray Proposed Ordinance Meeting: Attendance List

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

OK
Please all let us know if you can make it, It is IMPORTANT, if not to speak but at least in attendance.

Thanks in Advance
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I will be there. What time is the meeting? Also whats the address?
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

http://www.mydelraybeach.com/NR/rdonlyr ... egular.pdf

Public Meeting: Tuesday July 21st, 2009
Regular meeting is at 6:00 p.m.
Public Hearings are at 7:00 p.m.

Commission Chambers
Delray Beach City Hall

100 NW 1st Avenue
Delray Beach, FL 33444

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sean Paxton »

Here's some additional info. We can all start filing in quietly just before 7pm, after the regular meeting. The proposed ordinance is third on the public hearing agenda, which starts at 7pm. Everyone bring their best to the table in the way of what you've got to say, appearance and respectful behavior. Anyone interested in speaking and sharing their thoughts has 3 minutes to do so. You don't have to use 'em all. A sincere position, concern or recommendation can be made in 30 seconds, too. Anyone representing a group or association has 6 minutes. However, if a group is there with 10 people, it would be better to spread the time around. Even if you don't care to speak, physically being there is just as important.

As emotionally charged as it might get at times, let's all remind each other to remain quiet and collected with no cheering, clapping, etc. There will likely be press and media present, as well. Let's keep it clean and make the most of this opportunity. Based on public input from whatever side is represented, and the commission's deliberations, a vote will be made tomorrow night to approve, deny or postpone the ordinance. Aside from denial, postponement for further review, based on what everyone has to say, would be a positive step.

See You There,
stp

Here's the agenda info, which starts with 'Rules for Public Participation':
http://www.mydelraybeach.com/Delray/Cit ... efault.htm
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Can you post the directions from I-95?

Thanks

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Found these directions from I-95 on MapQuest:

1:Take the SR-806 W/ATLANTIC AVE exit, EXIT 52. 0.4 mi

2: Turn LEFT onto W ATLANTIC AVE/FL-806 E. 1.0 mi

3: Turn LEFT onto SW 1ST AVE. 0.1 mi

4: End at 100 NW 1ST AVE, on the LEFT. 0.0 mi Map

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

These directions are if you are coming from the north (WPB) traveling south on I-95

Found these directions from I-95 on MapQuest:

1:Take the SR-806 W/ATLANTIC AVE exit, EXIT 52. 0.4 mi

2: Turn LEFT onto W ATLANTIC AVE/FL-806 E. 1.0 mi

3: Turn LEFT onto SW 1ST AVE. 0.1 mi

4: End at 100 NW 1ST AVE, on the LEFT. 0.0 mi Map

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

so howd' the meeting go.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

fixed80 wrote:so howd' the meeting go.
:thumbdown:
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

TERMINATOR
Fisher

Post by TERMINATOR »

Can somebody recap the discussion/decision for us in a little more detail than just a "Thumbs Down"? I don't live in Florida at this time but I visit every winter and very likely could end up living there soon (new job) so I would love to hear more about how the meeting went.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Here is the Sun Sentinel article about it :mad:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-b ... 7811.story

DELRAY BEACH - The sharks won. City commissioners have approved a ban on shark fishing that would prohibit anglers from fishing for sharks at the municipal beach or within 300 feet of it.

The vote Tuesday came after a showdown between local self-proclaimed conservationists and angry anglers who said they promote shark conservation to sustain shark fishing in Florida.

Conservationists cited declining shark populations and said that shark fishermen are attracting the fish closer to where people swim.

Fishermen said there is no chumming of the waters and that they practice catch and release, protecting shark populations from declining.

Sean Paxton, who represented the International Shark Fishing Association, said the city based the ordinance on slanderous information from groups that want to ban all recreational fishing.

"The letter [the city received] implies that there is reckless slaughtering of sharks on the beaches," Paxton said. "In the interest of more rational consideration of the facts: deny or postpone the ban."

City staff drafted the ordinance as a result of several complaints last month from residents who said they saw chum on the water and had seen a dead shark wash ashore.

Anglers proposed to work with the city to come up with a solution that didn't target all fishermen on the beach because the bait used for shark fishing is the same used for fishing for other large species.

Paxton also pointed out that the ordinance was brought about by one single complaint and not researched thoroughly enough.

Conservationists focused their defense on declining shark populations and they said that shark fishing is no different than hunting elephants for their tusks.

"Repeatedly baiting in one area can create dependency behavior," said Courtney Salamone, who supported the ban.

William Fundora, president of the Miami-based South Florida Shark Club, said the Commission ignored the fact that shark fishermen do not chum the waters and approved the ordinance on a basis of fear.

"We will be respectful of the law," Fundora said. "But I think it is a travesty that they passed this based on wrong information."

Mayor Woodie McDuffie said the ban is intended to protect the public, not to keep people from practicing recreational fishing off the beach.

"We have an issue of public safety," McDuffie said. "There's no possible way of knowing what's going to bite at the other end of the hook. There's no way to totally regulate what happens with equipment on the beach. What we are trying to do is to keep the treasure that is our beach safe for the people of Delray Beach."

The commission reworded the ordinance so that it specified that only the use of cut bait would constitute a violation of the ban.

Brendal Davis, a conservationist in support of the ban, said the ordinance would have had some teeth if it wasn't for the last-minute change.

"We're going to have to monitor their activities," Davis said, "and come back with a better proposal."

TyatCapeSanBlas
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TyatCapeSanBlas »

I posted a comment on their website, not sure if they will approve it. This is a very tough challenge for fisherman; the toughest part is that their facts are way off the mark. Here was my smart-butt reply, not that it makes much difference.

Incredible. What an incredible amount of ignorance on the part of the conservationists; treating the "wound" of declining shark popluations by squeezing it, e.g., banning lone individuals' recreation whom contribute little to that decline and have no impact on bather saftey.

The systemic problem of declining populations is affected by the commercial industy and must be treated so. And there is no greater joke than that of shark fishing endangering an already fat, drunk, rurally naive, uninformed, fast driving, likely to drown in the rip current public that frequents those beaches. If you want saftey go for it; you have a lot of work to do apart from sharks. As far as conservation goes, half of you couldn't identify the species anyway, get your facts straight.

Thanks for trying you guys, learn from this.

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sean Paxton »

I'd like to express my sincere appreciation and respect for everyone that showed up last night to represent and defend the rights of citizens and land-based anglers of every definition in the great state of Florida. We'll get a list of names for all who attended and post it soon. In the meantime, thanks to each and every one of you. My brother Brooks and I made the round trip from the west coast and were proud to be there. Getting home around 5:30am has us a little behind schedule, and we'll get into more detail soon. For now, I will declare this a victory on several levels that all started with the strategically collaborative efforts put out over the past two weeks by a task force consisting of: Zach Miller, Tom Argue, Herbert Muller, Pat Dirindin, Brooks Paxton II, Will Fundora, as we came down the stretch in the final days, and myself. We meticulously armed ourselves with facts and a credible position that ultimately resulted in an on-the-spot amendment to the ordinance that can only be considered a compromise in our favor.

After 90 full minutes of spirited debate, the ordinance was passed, but was emphatically done so in the interests of public safety, and not to the credit of any extremist environmental group's special interest agenda. For the most part, that argument was largely dismissed by city officials. The previous article posted is not entirely accurate, as the ordinance does now allow cut bait, and does not prevent land-based anglers from exercising their right to use municipal beaches for the purposes of recreational fishing. There are no defined limits, as to when fishing can be done or what kind, type or size of rod or reel can be used. The spirit of the ordinance prohibits the intent to catch a certain species, while acknowledging there is no way to know what might pick up the sharp end of an angler's line. With cases like this, it's rare for either side to get everything they want and compromise is the typical outcome. Such is the case, here. Is it perfect? I don't think either side would say yes, but we have to value it as something to learn from and build upon. In the end, there was a stated, and now documented, respect for angler's rights and acknowledgment of the pervasive, environmentally sound stewardship ethic practiced and promoted within our sport, that includes, but is not limited to catch & release shark fishing. Let's carry that distinction forward with class and dignity and pride, while refusing to get down in the dirt with anyone that doesn't respect or practice those same qualities.

Once Again - My Sincere Appreciation and Respect For Everyone Who Contributed to This Important Effort,
Sean Paxton
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Sean, you couldn't have stated this any better...

We did what we could over the course of about the last month or so to get as much research done on this subject to bring forth to the city commision on Tuesday, so we would be prepared with just the fact on the subject matter at hand and not be side tracked with a public hanging or witch hunt which the oppostion probabaly thought was coming towards them. Instead, they got a 100% factual argument from the supporters for abolishing or compromising of this ordinance. Did we as shorebound anglers perservere through this endeavor? yes and no is the answer everybody has right now, and it is pretty clear to both sides we believe that nobody came out ahead here, but in fact maybe the city commission's decision benefits all sides, public, conservationists, and recreational fisherman. It is not going to be written all there in black and white, but the public now feels safer, the city is not liable because they have passed the ordinance, the conservationists believe they saved sharks lives, and we can still fish for whatever we would like as long as we are not chumming and accidental shark captures are immediately returned to the water.

I would also like to thank everybody who showed up in support of the postponment of this ordinance last night, all thrity of the people whom showed to voice thier opinion, and especially those who went up and spoke before the commission. Everybody on our side was extremely well mannered, and well dressed, while still giving factual and heart felt depositions for the commission to consider, which we believe they did. Most of the depostions given by the opposition had to do with shark population decrease world-wide which is a valid point that i think all catch and release shark anglers can relate to, But, it is absolutely not attributed to catch and release land based shark fisherman, since we make up such a small demographic.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who attended, and wish anybody else who chimed in would have attended the meeting as well. But if you didn't have a chance to be there, we will be posting a link to the agenda meeting so anybody interested can watch what they missed and learn from this incident because there is a good chance since now this is publicized that it may happen again, we learned a lot and will gain support as we move on to unite as shorebound anglers to help protect all of our rights. Because who knows ,maybe oneday it will happen to your beach and groups like this will be here to help fight it when you need a hand. But for sure, it is time to no longer post where you go fishing for sharks if you pursuit the creatures, or where you see them, because its our own duty to fish responsibly and recreate using or natural resources carefully so future instinces like this do not occur.

-Zach Miller

:patriot:
" Welcome to the Greatest Show on Surf"

http://WWW.TEAMREBELFISHING.COM

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Very nice
Last edited by Goat on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

It was refreshing to see such a nice group of people like you all pull together last night. Although we have never met, I consider you my friends and I hope you will consider me as your friend. I do hope to meet you all on a more personal level someday.

Take care,
Goat

TERMINATOR
Fisher

Post by TERMINATOR »

As stated prior, I live in WI and am a USCG licensed Captain running a 33' charter boat on Lake Michigan fishing for salmon and trout. I winter in PB county and I intend to live there someday and run a boat out of Jupiter or Palm Beach inlet.

That said I LOVE to fish the beach and the piers just for the relaxation and low tech of it all and congratulate all of you for taking a stand for what you (we) believe in and doing so with facts.

Too many times people show too much empathy and wait for someone else to fight their battles while their rights get trampled.

I truly wish I could have attended but given I am in WI right now that was not to be.

What I do find interesting is the Sentinal is the use of the word "angry" in describing the anglers and the use of the word "conservationist" to descibe the people wanting a ban.

In my experience, the biggest and most feverish conservationist are USUALLY the people that hunt and fish for game since to be otherwise would mean the elimination of what we love to do.

Of course the liberal media is loath to worry about things like facts when it comes to pushing their agenda (ie Dan Rather) so I take what I read with a grain of salt but it still burns my azz when I read the liberal propaganda passed off to the masses (sheep) as news.

Once again, congratulations to you all for if nothing else, getting organized and for standing up for what you believe in.

Too many times people don't do that.

Captain Skip Berry
TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters
www.terminatorcharters.com

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Terminator, you are correct, the majority of big game fisherman these days do want to protect what littleo f the true giant fish that are stil lleft in the world so we can fish for them responsibly, thats what "hardcore" activists keep failing to understand, that we are conservationists but we also want to be able to recreate while enjoying our natural resources in a responsible manner.

And goat, well said, I didn't know that was you who went up there and made the comment about Jim you really should have came and introduced yourself to everyone there, when you went up there and spoke it was absolutely at a very crucial time and could not have been any more perfect right after Jim got off the stand. excellent job to you and everybody else involved and following this issue yet again. and as sad as it is be prepared, because now we are on the radar and everybody knows we are organized and not an easy group to target , so we can protect our right to :reeling: !

-Zach

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE CITY COMMISSION MEETING FROM LAST TUESDAY. It is very informative and interesting, check it out, I guarentee you will get into it

http://delraybeach.granicus.com/MediaPl ... lip_id=310

the shark ordinance begins at 1hr and 6 minutes

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”