Legendary Cuda and 1st snook on da yak

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Legendary Cuda and 1st snook on da yak

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I have a nemesis living in bear cut that has made a fool of me quite a few times now. It's a giant barracuda whose size I didn't fully know until today. Over the past 7 months he has cut me off and wrapped me on pilings about 6 times. It's always in the EXACT SAME spot, making me think it's the same fish. Last time by the bridge I put 18" of #5 wire on to avoid getting cut off. That wasn't enough and he PWND me again!!! Today I was using a float with a good 3' of wire and a live 12" blue runner. I put the bait in the water momentarily to spin the yak around (25' up current of his home) and immediately the beast swirled at the bait, missing on the first pass but bit my line above the cork and wire. He spun around, grabbed the bait and took off. He must have felt the hook cause he immediately started greyhounding and spit the hook. It's much bigger than I thought, a good 6' with huge shoulders and girth. I got a great look at him 6' from the yak.

I saw the cork 20 yards away and I paddled to it, and to my surprise the bait was still on and alive with a couples gashes on one side. Unfortunately my GoPro was not on at the time.:banghead I tied the wire rig back on saw a tarpon roll a couple of pilings away. Got bit and he spit the hook on the second jump. :banghead x2...

I know the cuda now named Senior Grande won't bite again today so I decided to head back. On the paddle back I decided to cut the now dead BR in half and flipped it by the seawall. Fish on! I was surprised to see a snook surface after a nice run. Yes a snook on #5 wire... This is actually my first snook on the yak and a pretty decent one too. I'll be back for that cuda and when I get him you'll all poop yourselves. This thing is a Biscayne Bay Wahoo!

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Re: Legendary Cuda and 1st snook on da yak

Post by Username28 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:I have a nemesis living in bear cut that has made a fool of me quite a few times now. It's a giant barracuda whose size I didn't fully know until today. Over the past 7 months he has cut me off and wrapped me on pilings about 6 times. It's always in the EXACT SAME spot, making me think it's the same fish. Last time by the bridge I put 18" of #5 wire on to avoid getting cut off. That wasn't enough and he PWND me again!!! Today I was using a float with a good 3' of wire and a live 12" blue runner. I put the bait in the water momentarily to spin the yak around (25' up current of his home) and immediately the beast swirled at the bait, missing on the first pass but bit my line above the cork and wire. He spun around, grabbed the bait and took off. He must have felt the hook cause he immediately started greyhounding and spit the hook. It's much bigger than I thought, a good 6' with huge shoulders and girth. I got a great look at him 6' from the yak.

I saw the cork 20 yards away and I paddled to it, and to my surprise the bait was still on and alive with a couples gashes on one side. Unfortunately my GoPro was not on at the time.:banghead I tied the wire rig back on saw a tarpon roll a couple of pilings away. Got bit and he spit the hook on the second jump. :banghead x2...

I know the cuda now named Senior Grande won't bite again today so I decided to head back. On the paddle back I decided to cut the now dead BR in half and flipped it by the seawall. Fish on! I was surprised to see a snook surface after a nice run. Yes a snook on #5 wire... This is actually my first snook on the yak and a pretty decent one too. I'll be back for that cuda and when I get him you'll all poop yourselves. This thing is a Biscayne Bay Wahoo!

Sounds and looks exciting. Not a bad minnow either! :toast:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Great snook, and that trust me when I say this, is a baby for that spot... There be monsters in those waters. It is also VERY sharky there.

-swordfish

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

swordfish wrote:Great snook, and that trust me when I say this, is a baby for that spot... There be monsters in those waters. It is also VERY sharky there.

-swordfish
I know all about the sharks there. They thin out in the summer but during the winter the bulls stack up or so I've heard. I'll be puttin some more time in for the snook looking for the monsters you speak of.

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”