Vero/FP Gettin Skinny for Trout 7/18

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher

Vero/FP Gettin Skinny for Trout 7/18

Post by Bi0tic »

Planned on getting out early, but awoke to rainy skies and sheer laziness so back to sleep. Get up around 8am and it's overcast but not raining. Load up the gear and head out.

Hit the water around 9. Tons of mullet milling about but only one hit on the topwater in the first 30 mins. Get out on the flat and the water feels cool - exactly what I was hoping for. With the overcast skies I expect the trout to still be shallow and remain there.

On the flat I finally see what I expected to see in May and June (and didn't), that is, the water alive with bait. Tons of mullet showering here and there, pins, greenies, etc. It didn't take long before I had a trout shoot out of the water on my lure, no hookup 0/2. The water is relatively clear but tannin stained, the fish don't seem to mind.

A few casts later another trout, but this one stays on. 1/3. Several more casts another hit. 1/4. Keep on casting and finally get another to stay hooked. 2/5. This went on for the rest of the morning, final tally was 4/10. Included in those 10 was about a 5-6 lb. bluefish that made a frenzied run under my yak and cut me off, a couple of redfish, and other trout.

All fish were in 12-24 in. of water. Hit some deeper spots after the sun came out around 10:30 and nothing. Used a red/white skitterwalk (bluefish took it with him) and a silver/green skitterwalk. Sorry no pics, forgot camera.
I want to Believe

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Re: Vero/FP Gettin Skinny for Trout 7/18

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Nice. I still haven't fished any skinny water with my yak. I'll have to make it a point to do soon; I would like to get me some tailing reds and bonefish to cross off the bucket list.

Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Vero/FP Gettin Skinny for Trout 7/18

Post by Bi0tic »

The ability to go as shallow as you want is the greatest advantage to yak fishing.
I want to Believe

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”