Miami Beach Kayak Tarpon 3/1/13

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Miami Beach Kayak Tarpon 3/1/13

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Team Googan at it again!!! This time tarpon fishing off South Beach. I went 1 for 2 on tarpon, and 0 for 2 on spinner sharks (mono leader...). The fish were in close and hungry. I got a late start, and when I got to the beach at 9, the bite was already on. There were tarpon everywhere, and they seemed pretty interested in my yak. I dunno how many times I looked down and saw tons of tarpon under my yak in less than 10 feet of water. I threw together some footage real quick, I just got a new editor but I'm not proficient with it yet. Soon I'll step up the quality of the videos for you guys. Enjoy and tight lines.

amper
Fisher

Re: Miami Beach Kayak Tarpon 3/1/13

Post by amper »

Very nice! I like the slow motion action on the jumps. Great water color.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

what kind of kayak do you have?

CJ Angler
Fisher

Post by CJ Angler »

Sweet video! Did you shoot that with a go pro?
"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..." Harry Middleton

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I've got an Ocean Kayak trident 11 angler edition and a Hero 2 GoPro.

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

awesome video! :toast:
- Anthony

vbskimn
Fisher

Post by vbskimn »

What gear are you using if you dont mind me asking? i wanna get a good reel and rod for tarpon, i might be able to get a good deal on a Van Staal, but not sure what rod to use... And what are you using for line/leader and rig? Sorry for asking so many questions, but it the only way for me to get an idea without being down there for myself. and how dop you carry live bait when your on the yak??

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

vbskimn wrote:What gear are you using if you dont mind me asking? i wanna get a good reel and rod for tarpon, i might be able to get a good deal on a Van Staal, but not sure what rod to use... And what are you using for line/leader and rig? Sorry for asking so many questions, but it the only way for me to get an idea without being down there for myself. and how dop you carry live bait when your on the yak??
What's a good deal on a Van Staal? Them reels are like $600-700? nice reels but too expensive for me. I'm using a Shimano Baitrunner 6500, Shimano Teramar 7' heavy/fast action ($100, awesome rod for the money), 30lb braid, 80lb mono leader (connected with an Albright special), 6/0-8/0 Gamagatsu circle. Got a 5 gal bucket with a $10 bubbler you can get from West Marine (with a lid, mullet will jump out).

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

I really love your posts!! keep up the great work.. I might have to get out yaking just yet!

Charles

vbskimn
Fisher

Post by vbskimn »

Well, its a Van Staal VS200, and i have to check back with the guy on price. but im pretty sure it was under $500. But they are completely waterproof, you can use them under water. and it hold something like 500 yds of 50lb braid.
He just got a new Zbaas reel.... which ran him $1000.. so hes not using the VS anymore.

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Wow you got some awesome jumps outta that one! RTD!
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

That just looks FUN...I want a kayak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Some nice footage there!! Nice fish! Great Video and even greater editing!! Awesome job!!!
:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”