Buying First Yak

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
HJared
KING MACKEREL

Buying First Yak

Post by HJared »

So ive read back all the posts of peoples recomendations for a first time yak. Question... I only weigh 140 lbs. DO I want a shorter/smaller kayak so its easier for me to manage?

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Buying First Yak

Post by Leadslinger »

Where do you plan on using it most? Small water, then yeah smaller boat is good. I prefer 12+ for paddling around the islands. Those old heavy boats of yesteryear aren't as common anymore. Tried out the santa cruz awhile back, for being oddly shaped it moved around like a cloud.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

and if i wanted something versitile that i could take offshore id want it bigger?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I have a ocean kayak scrambler 11 and I love it! Just try out different yaks before you buy one so you can find one you like!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Leadslinger wrote: Those old heavy boats of yesteryear aren't as common anymore. Tried out the santa cruz awhile back, for being oddly shaped it moved around like a cloud.
Thats a strange statement, those old 14'+ heavy weights of yesteryear weighd in from 55-70 pounds, try finding a new 14' kayak. One of the best paddling kayaks of yesteryear was the Tarpon 160. I had an old school OK ScupperPro 14'+ a couple inches, weigh'd in at 55 pounds and would paddle as well or better than most others out there.
Todays design trend is heavier and wider, (barges by old school standards).

Like said depending on what you plan to do at 140 pounds, how long are you, unless you are 6'+ you could easily be happy with 12' kayaks like the West Marine Pompano or other similar models. They paddle well are more than stable enough for fishing.
If you are planing on going offshore look into a 14' kayak.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Well then I reckon I'm just getting stronger (checks out his guns...nope) they sure seem less heavy now. Felt like those boats of my youth had lead keels.

Funny you say barge, I demo'd a Hobie a few weeks back and as I came back to the dock that was exact response to the shop owner after he asked how I liked it.

flsailor
Fisher

Post by flsailor »

I am 6'3" and weigh about 185 lbs, I have a Pescador 12 that I use for offshore fishing and also inshore and the intercoastal. I love my yak!

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

im 5'7. is there a place around ft lauderdale that demos kayaks? i saw a place by the keys that does it.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

FBO in Key Largo

-or-

South River Outfitters in Stuart

Both are on the water and do onsite demo's

Liquid Surf & Sail has several vendors kayaks in their showroom, not on the water but maybe they do demo's.

Do a bit of research on several online-forums, beware of sales people they are selling what they stock

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I don't think your height matters all that much.

If you're planning on decking it out and using it offshore a lot, get a hobie so you can peddle out.

I personally have an ocean kayak trident 11 it's pretty solid. I've taken up to about 4 miles offshore and plenty of inshore fishing. I think if I had to do it over again I'd go for the 13 since it has better tracking, but honestly I'd probably just skip it all and get a hobie so I could peddle.

Vertical jigging is kinda brutal after paddling hard for an hour to get to your spot and another 2 hours getting back on track.

That being said I love my ocean kayak, it's stable, light, and is pretty well rigged for what I need. You could check out the ultra series from them too they are awesome.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

how do u guys go about getting live bait? do u use a bucket and a bubbler or sabiki when ur out there? it would be difficult to rig a livewell on a kayak it looks like.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

As far as bait, see my post in Bait Bucket forum http://youtu.be/7IULjwSVJ8w?list=UUHMYO ... PI9a3xUj_Q

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

That's a nice setup, Dragon! :toast:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Nice? That's a work of art. Beautiful well thought out piece Dragon
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I like the title "Poor Man's..." 5 gallon bucket and $10 bubbler. That's what the real poor guys like myself are using...

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Nice work! The ingenuity on this site is priceless. :cheers:
Fish Crazy

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:I like the title "Poor Man's..." 5 gallon bucket and $10 bubbler. That's what the real poor guys like myself are using...
How many gogs can you keep alive in a 5 gallon bucket?

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

I keep 10 in that one no problem. Make sure you get a yak that has capability for a rudder. Current offshore can wipe you out in no time. Also, I have an 11.5 and have no issues with going offshore. You want STABILITY (wide) not speed offshore.

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

12ft is versatile for inshore and offshore. The longer the kayak the better it tracks but a pain to turn in tight spots inshore wise. Ive owned a 12ft ws tarpon. A 13.5 ok trident which I prefer. If youve narrowed it down demo what you can.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Thanks for your advice. Still looking. Not really tryin to spend 1000 $ for a hobie although they appear best

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

HJared wrote:Thanks for your advice. Still looking. Not really tryin to spend 1000 $ for a hobie although they appear best
Ahh Hobie !! Yes, its what traditional paddlers are missing out. Part of the fun is upgrading and rigging but see what fits your budget. Goodluck

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Saw this on CL today.. Ok ScupperPro.... one of the best paddling & fishing kayaks of its day.. lite 55 pounds, paddle great, work well inshore & offshore, only drawback is it ain;t easy to stand.
Listed at $600.00, If you want reference of actual fishing reports and photo's look up RDS/bugdoc's post on this board he does a lot of beach launch's.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/spo/4722409384.html

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

awesome thanks. From what i can tell its better to have a sit on top vs sit in?

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

I was planning on buying a yak myself. I was gonna go with a hobie, just because everyone who has a paddle kayak ends up getting a hobie. But then I realized how much $ I would be wasting on a yak and decided to just save my $ and get a boat. That's my 2 cents

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

HJared wrote:awesome thanks. From what i can tell its better to have a sit on top vs sit in?
SOT is kind of preferred here in S. Florida for fishing...

I've never thought about getting a pedal kayak, just won't work in the shallows I fish in....

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I have a ocean trident 13,,, the boat is pretty stable and I use for both offshore and back water,,, the only reason I didn't get the hobe or wilderness systems pedal kayak is because I like backwater fishing and do that most of the time,,, my buddy has a pedal kayak and everytime we get into skinny water he has to remove his pedals,,, so I would say it all depends on where you are going to use your kayak to which style you buy,,, tight lines

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I will have a Ocean scrambler coming out for sale in about 30 days its bare bones and will be asking 275.00 for it,,, I cant sell it for 30 days because I run a pawn shop and it has to sit for 30 days before I can sell it... if you are interested give me a pm and I will take a layaway on it.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Looks like they lowered the price to asking $450.00 on CL... now thats a great deal.....
CL - ScupperPro
krash wrote:Saw this on CL today.. Ok ScupperPro.... one of the best paddling & fishing kayaks of its day.. lite 55 pounds, paddle great, work well inshore & offshore, only drawback is it ain;t easy to stand.
Listed at $600.00, If you want reference of actual fishing reports and photo's look up RDS/bugdoc's post on this board he does a lot of beach launch's.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

krash wrote:Looks like they lowered the price to asking $450.00 on CL... now thats a great deal.....
CL - ScupperPro
krash wrote:Saw this on CL today.. Ok ScupperPro.... one of the best paddling & fishing kayaks of its day.. lite 55 pounds, paddle great, work well inshore & offshore, only drawback is it ain;t easy to stand.

I have that same kayak mold pretty much, except its a RTM Tempo Angler. Very easy kayak to paddle and you can really pick up some speed. Only drawbacks are like you said its a bit tippy and wouldnt recommend standing in it. Also back storage area has an odd shape that wont fit a traditional milkcrate. Its also about 15 feet long, something to consider when thinking about storage.

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”