Anyone up for a night Swordfishing trip off Ft. Lauderdale?

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Anyone up for a night Swordfishing trip off Ft. Lauderdale?

Post by Dragon »

Happy Thanksgiving! Anyone for Night Sword fishing from a Yak off of Broward? I have a safety boat already lined up. Let's plan it! :mrgreen: :reeling: :bounce:

fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Anyone up for a night Swordfishing trip off Ft. Lauderda

Post by fishboy »

That would be insane... Both awesome and crazy...

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Um, nope. Done enough swordfishing from a 33 ft center console and it is enough a clusterf**k on that. Don't feel like swimming in 1500 feet at midnight.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Um, nope. Done enough swordfishing from a 33 ft center console and it is enough a clusterf**k on that. Don't feel like swimming in 1500 feet at midnight.
I tend to agree with you....it sounds fun but...the more I think about it the more I say...no way. You would be a bathtoy...
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I have wanted to do this forever... If I wasn't such a big boy I'd be down lol, however there are quite a few yaks that can hold me comfortably now a days, and they cost about as much as a boat! Then of course theres the wife... Do keep in mind though, these fish once they go over a certain size have literally ZERO fear of anything else, including larger predators, and will not think twice of going after that little floating mosquito putting the hurt on him... I would say try it during the day, they bite just as well and you can see what is going on at all times... Also, be very wary of roaming Mako, they tend to frequent the same temp break looking for an easy meal!

Good luck and catch em up!

-swordfish

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Come on Dragon you serious? Let's go offshore fishing in a thimble at night in black water for a predictor? Son, I don't know how you can walk around with that set of b___s. Terrifying idea but very cool.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

hey...It's not April fools, but it has always been on my bucket list! Just not alone!

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

I don't like the idea of being a bathtoy... :shock:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

swordfish wrote: I would say try it during the day, they bite just as well and you can see what is going on at all times...
-swordfish
Daytiming would be about impossible from a yak. Not many yaks I've seen with an adaptor for an electric reel, and you would die from exhaustion trying to do that manually, while sitting down in a yak. Don't forget at night you fish for them near the surface, during the day you drop down near the bottom in 1200 + feet, along with about 10 lbs of lead.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

True...just the tough of it excites me though! I may have to resort to Bluefin Tuna in Nova Scotia!

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Good point Rory, I am used to longlining for them, so its always sub surface, the hooks were usually about 50 feet or so below the surface, however you are right, we would set mid afternoon and finish by sunset, sometimes a little later. Then haul back right at daybreak!

-swordfish

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Someone crazier than me perhaps?!?! Not gonna lie, I thought about it. It may be feasible with a mother ship to take you out and stay close for safety. Please post if you do try it. Good luck and stay safe.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”