Increasing Kayak floatation

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
just in time
Weekend Warrior

Increasing Kayak floatation

Post by just in time »

Anyone have any input on adding spray foam to inside of Kayak SOT hull..To increase flotation..Now I have 2 foam noodles on each rail and half in front and back.

?????

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Re: Increasing Kayak floatation

Post by just in time »

Guess notttttttttttttttt wtf

Tonyc
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tonyc »

spray foam is not the same as flotation foam and it is not waterproof i have a canoe and added stabilizers on it made from crab floats i got the big floats that add 16 pounds of bouncy per float . If ur using that spray foam u get from home depot it will turn brown and leak after a while. Nice thing with the stabilizers to is u can stand up and never have to worry about flipping over . I use a 1.2 hp on mine they work great 2 guys can stand an fish no issue .
free picture hosting

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Hey this is AWESOME for a big guy like me! I may consider trying something like this... it enables you to go up to 9 hp on the engine... Ill roam all of flamingo in a rig like this in the winter and slay the fish!

-swordfish

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Post by just in time »

Tonyc wrote:spray foam is not the same as flotation foam and it is not waterproof i have a canoe and added stabilizers on it made from crab floats i got the big floats that add 16 pounds of bouncy per float . If ur using that spray foam u get from home depot it will turn brown and leak after a while. Nice thing with the stabilizers to is u can stand up and never have to worry about flipping over . I use a 1.2 hp on mine they work great 2 guys can stand an fish no issue .
free picture hosting
wow..that looks cool..thanks ..

Tonyc
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tonyc »

i used u bolt beam clamps that attach it the lip under my canoe takes about 2 minutes to rig it u can get them at home depot . u can also just use a single bar with the floats clamped to the canoe cross bar but they tend to move when u run with a motor or twist.
I have had my self and another forum member here plus all out gear out fishing works great . more stable than a small jon boat .

Tonyc
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tonyc »

I think this would be a better idea u can flip them up when u dont need them and put them down when u need ur extra floatation

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Post by just in time »

Tonyc wrote:I think this would be a better idea u can flip them up when u dont need them and put them down when u need ur extra floatation

i picture losing alot of fish with them..want to do some kind of foaming inside..and having inside ur kayak
Will never sink..

And u are using up rod holders u can troll from

They do match atleast..thnx

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

Tonyc wrote:.
free picture hosting

hey look a canoe with training wheels !!

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

since i derailed your thread i point you in the right direction

if you want to fill up the inside of your boat or yak get the 2 part pour-able foam from here http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

look at the 4lb kit its like 23 bucks of 2lb foam it will give you 120 lbs of floataion value

the spray foam you get in the can has no floatation vale and wont help you in that matter

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Post by just in time »

Amazing..thanks.^^^

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”