DIY livewell perception pesc 12

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
eddieftl
Fisher

DIY livewell perception pesc 12

Post by eddieftl »

So i have tried a few different ways to keep live bait on the yak. A 5 gal bucket with aerator is okay, but the water change is a PITA. I also tried the bucket with hanging the bilge pump of the side of the yak, but i didnt like that too much. Custom livewells a pretty espensive, so I made this. Its very effective, portable and doesnt take up that much room at all. I made this for my Pescador, but you can fabricate this for any kayak, and it isnt that much $$.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Re: DIY livewell perception pesc 12

Post by just in time »

Looks great

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Very nice, good idea about using the scupper hole for the bilge pump. I also like the custom milk crate, I am going to do something similar myself. Do you have issues with a lot of water coming in through the scupper holes in the back storage area? I usually end up with about 2 inches of water in there, and any gear I have back there gets wet if it is sitting directly in the compartment. I think I am going to plug some of those holes with pieces of a foam pool noodle.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

looks nice but heres the thing , even though the pump says submersible , it wasn't meant to be full time , the water will get in thru the wiring and corrode the wires and the motor and only last about 2 months or so , and with the way you have the pump it will be a constant swirl in the bucket in which the bait will tire out and die ...

just observations

eddieftl
Fisher

Post by eddieftl »

@phishin: Yeah I get the same problem, but it doesnt really effect anything. I have started plugging one scupper and the pump goes thru the other so its not too bad.
@diggin: I know what you mean about the pump being in water. I sealed the wires from the pump all the way up. I'll see how it goes the next few weeks. And the circulation seems to keep the bait friskey... I have a switch so i only turn it on for a few seconds a couple times an hour and it works to keep the water changed.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”