Kayak Considerations: A to Z(What do you think of Lifetime?)

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
dm_0001
Fisher

Kayak Considerations: A to Z(What do you think of Lifetime?)

Post by dm_0001 »

I've been considering a fishing kayak to use in the South Florida area. I'd like something to use in the flats, bays and possibly ocean as much as possible.

I started out looking for deals on kayaks such as the Perception Pescador 12', which I found for around $450. Upped my consideration to an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 ($700-ish) because of the added accesories and my thoughts that it would perform better in windy conditions or strong currents. Reading a little bit more I found out a rudder kit would help even more... (cha-ching... another $200).

At this point I began looking at peddling kayaks, which are great. I'd be able to move quickly against wind or current. My choices were between Hobie and Native Watercraft.

There's a bunch of pros/cons I have for both which I won't get into but both look like solid choices where I can't go wrong. The only thing holding me back is the $1800 entry point.

I also looked into both brands on craigslist. But here in Florida there's quite a bit of demand for them and I don't think it's worth it to buy a two year old Hobie kayak that's maybe $600 less with no warranty. It's a sellers market for both brands.

So now I'm considering the Lifetime 10' Sport Fisher. This kayak goes for about $600. It's not the longest kayak, so it must be slow. But my thoughts were to attach a trolling motor (mount $150, motor $200, and battery $50, etc). This pretty much gives me everything I'm looking for...

Wondering if anyone else out there has one or any experience in adding motors to kayaks? What was the stability like? Any experience with it in the ocean?

And what type of motor and thrust? The recommendation seems to be 30 lbs of thrust but I'd like to consider 36 or even 40, especially since I'm taking it out to sea.

And are there any other kayaks you can add motors to without one of those expensive home made kits. Looking for something commercial from the kayak vendor,

tftc15
Fisher

Re: Kayak Considerations: A to Z(What do you think of Lifeti

Post by tftc15 »

The Ocean Kayak Torque comes with a removable trolling motor. I've been messing around with kayaks for months deciding on which one to buy, and I've decided on the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (going to order it in the next couple of weeks). It's a fast, stable kayak with a good amount of storage space. I've tried the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 and really liked it as well, but I found that it's not as stable as the Ocean Kayak out in the surf. The Tarpon is great in calm waters though. As far as the Lifetime, I've never been in one, but I've seen them at Wal Mart. The plastic isn't as dense as the Ocean Kayak or the Wilderness Systems and they don't have all the standard creature comforts as well.
Cheers,

Ryan

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

You can and are way over-thinking this decision. If you want the best either get out the credit card and get an OK Ultra 4.7, some woudl say Kazkazi Dorado II, or go all the way and get a fully rigged out Hobie Pro Angler and a trailer.

But when you come back down to earth, look around, you'll be fishing next to people with all kinds of kayaks catching more or the same numbers of fish you are.

Depending on your size you can get away with a 12' kayak, but if approaching 185#+ go for 13' or bigger.

There is a Perception Pescador 12' kayak sold at Dicks, and also sold at West Marine called the Pompano, outfitted a bit different seat anchor trolley or not, sold for just inder $500. This kayak is the 2008 Tarpon 120 rebadged and sold at mass merchandised stores and pricing. (Great deal for a new 12' fishing kayak)

Rudders are (MPO) and I do have 1 kayak with and 1 without, the one without gets more use, are a luxury which is useful in 3 situations:
1) Drifting a flat or shoreline in a light breeze and current to help keep the nose of the kayak pointed in a specific direction, most of the time
2) Peddle kayaks, required
3) In a stiff cross wind's trying to make time without making as many adjustment strokes, or changing direction and tacking like a sailboat

13/15 Prowler is a great platform, as is Tarpon 120/140, and Redfish 12/14.

Rethink the Tempo style hull. If you do not like it because you look at it as a racing hull... it is a copy, hull side, of the OK ScupperPro which is considered one of the better kayak fishing platforms designed. The deck is a bit different and the Tankwell area is sort of useless to fisherman. I have a OK ScupperPro and a Kazkazi Dorado and if I'm going fishing the ScupperPro is my choice 90% of the time with no rudder. If I plan to cover 10 or 12 miles I'll use the Dorado but it is less comfortable, hard fiberglass hull it does paddle with much less effort and has a rudder which I seldom deploy.

If you want to look at , try and buy, rent for a day.. chack out Florida Bay Outfitters in Key Largo.. July 28th & 29th they are having their annual end of year sale of used and rental fleet of kayaks. http://kayakfloridakeys.com/Sales/salerentalgear.htm
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

just in time
Weekend Warrior

Post by just in time »

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”