Why a kayak?

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Why a kayak?

Post by BEOWULF »

Ok, maybe a dumb question, but why choose a kayak over say a canoe or small jon-boat? It seems both of these would give you more room to move around in them?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Why a kayak?

Post by krash »

Its personal choice.. they each have their place and purpose.

Sure would not want to launch a jon-boat off the beach and paddle that sucker out to 500'.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Why?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Kayaks are much easier to paddle and maneuver, and you can get into very shallow water with no problem.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

dm_0001
Fisher

Post by dm_0001 »

Weight was already mentioned and that was a big factor for me.

#1 Weight - I have access to cars and not trucks so the idea of buying a small boat or canoe would require a trailer. And I really plan to go alone at times and want something with a little less hassle.

#2 Motor Engine - looked into getting a boat but I would only use it seasonally and when researched the worst thing you can do to a marine engine is not use it often.

#3 Canoe vs kayak - Are you planning to use the watercraft strictly in lakes, flats, or do you plan on taking it out on in the ocean. If so, a kayak may be a better option.

#4 Sit on top vs sit in canoe - SOT is the way to go if you're taking it into the ocean.

Of course if you're looking to cover more distance and want to spend $1800+ look into Kayak with pedal systems... e.g. Hobie and Native Watercraft.

Personally I'm considering a motorized kayak for fishing purposes.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”