New Kayak!!

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
S M McInto
Weekend Warrior

New Kayak!!

Post by S M McInto »

Just picked up a new kayak today

In pretty good shape, a little scratched on the sides and will probably need a new seat. But it came with a brand new paddle and I only paid $200.

I already picked out a fishfinder for it, just wanted some input on rod holders. I have a milkcrate setup for now but would like to install some permanant ones sometime soon. I plan on using it only in the river not the ocean.

Let me know what you think

Its a 14 foot Perception Prism

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." Steven Wright

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: New Kayak!!

Post by krash »

Nice find fro $200 bucks.. where do you put a crate ?

I personally do not use or liek rod holders mounted in the deck. I have an old ScupperPro and use a crate in the rear tank-well area, which you do not have with the 2 hatches.
I have a tripple rocket launcher type rod holder, straight up, mounted to the crate. When fishing I do not troll so I typically have 1 rod in my had or lap the other 1 or 2 in the holder behind me and to the laft side. It took only a few cast to realize that the left side is better for me than the right.

A buddy has the same yak as yours.. and what he did long ago was cut a hole in one of the hatch covers so that a 5 gallon bucket fits, sealed it in with silicone or 5200 so water does not leak into the hull.
He keeps stuff in the bucket, and can use it for a live well if so inclined.

Paddle it a few times with only 1 rod in your hand and lap, before simply drilling any holes and randomly mounting stuff.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

S M McInto
Weekend Warrior

Post by S M McInto »

I like the idea of the bucket in the back hatch. As for now i would probably just strap the crate on top of the back hatch so it is accessible. I did buy a single rod holder today, i plan on putting it just behind the front hatch in the center.

What do you use to hold the paddle while yoh are fishing? My old kayak had some straps on the sides that would hold it, but the things got nothing.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." Steven Wright

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

look into the scotty rod holders....you can pretty much position them how you want

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Most of the time either the rod or the paddle is in my lap. The rod I sometime lay between my legs, lure on the bow deck, while paddling.. When casting I usually have the paddle across my lap. If I hook up a larger fish I usually will toss the paddle to the opposite side.
Padlde is secured with a paddle leash, a bungie attached by a clip to a deck loop on the hull.

If I am staked out I put the paddle on the right side, just personal preference, secured with a bungie paddle keeper.. quick and easy.

S M McInto
Weekend Warrior

Post by S M McInto »

bigseank22 wrote:look into the scotty rod holders....you can pretty much position them how you want
I picked one up today to go in the front behind the front hatch. I will see how i like it then probably get two more for the back.

Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Bi0tic »

Perception makes some good yaks I hear and that looks like a great deal at 200! You can also look into the Ram mounts. You can mount the one with the base and ball, will require a couple small holes, then use a foam gasket and some silicone. Then you can attach a variety of their holders to it. I have one Scotty on mine, it's not the large flush mount but the small mount. I simply used a foam gasket and have never had problems with leakage. It's an option, but if you are mortified about drilling into your yak, don't do it, and keep some peace of mind. Good luck and post some reports :reeling:
I want to Believe

S M McInto
Weekend Warrior

Post by S M McInto »

I installed one of the Scotty rod holders this morning. Looks pretty good, although I probably looked pretty wierd sitting in my yard in the kayak trying to get a feel for the best spot to put it so it would be withing reach but not in the way.

I also just ordered two paddle hooks to mount on the side so I can snap the paddle in while fishing.

I am hoping to have it in the water this weekend for a few test runs and hopefully some fishing.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

SM, take a trip down to flamingo, go get them trout, you wont be dissapointed... If you can work the tides in your favor go out with an outgoing and come back in on incoming... Gotta be one of those perfect days for that... You can go quite far that way without tiring out much! My .02 cents... there is lots of fish down there brother...

-swordfish

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Dude if you in PSL.. you are in Trout Central.. Hit Mud Creek, Round Island, Ft. Pierce N. Causeway.. many flats many fishes up that way.

S M McInto
Weekend Warrior

Post by S M McInto »

Yeah I normally do pretty good around those areas wade fishing, but now ive got the Yak and I dont know anyone else around here with one.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

KFS and KFHole

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”