Everglades camping 4-5 day camping trip

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
Post Reply
User avatar
firebeforice
Old Salt
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:08 am
Location: Austin, TX (hometown Miami)
Contact:

Everglades camping 4-5 day camping trip

Post by firebeforice »

The second week of January, I am going on a multi-day canoe expedition with three friends from North Carolina to the Everglades. However, I normally launch from Flamingo, but this time we are going from Everglades city. Only one other of these dudes is a fisherman, so I am going trying to fit in as much fishing as possible. Also these guys are being snowed in Asheville so they want to hit the gulf ( I have seen sketchy, fast moving currents at Shark River so Im not to crazy about this). Our proposed route has us going from the ranger station to Lopez River, then to Waston Place, then out the Chatnam river to Pavilion Key. From that beach, we will paddle back to Everglades city. ( we haven't pulled the backcountry permits yet so the route might change). Originally, my buddies wanted to do 7 days from Everglades city to Flamingo, but i convinced them that they are ridiculous.

Anyways, we also want to try to find Totch Brown's prohibition-era liquor still in House Hammock bay and a indian mound supposedly near Gopher Key.


So is there is advice from any fellow yakkers and fisherman? I normally just do overnight camping not the multi-day stuff. Obviously we are a bringing a small gas stove, and tents. I just want to know if there is any additional advice?

For the fishing, i was going to bring my normal assortment of lures, plus a couple packages of gulps, and two poles. Im tempted to bring my cast net but I am concerned about the extra weight, so i will just go with a couple of sabiki's.




??

User avatar
firebeforice
Old Salt
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:08 am
Location: Austin, TX (hometown Miami)
Contact:

Re: Everglades camping 4-5 day camping trip

Post by firebeforice »

thanks dude. Well, I can't afford an Epirb, but we are grown men so we should be okay (famous last words). Definitely, will bring a first kit and my mosquito head net. I am hoping the bugs wont be too bad and the fishing to be solid :reeling: . My plan is to be conservative with our paddling mileage, set up camp, and then fish for a few hours each day. I am a bit concerned about the tides, but this is an adventure, so whatever. I would like to get to some remote backcountry sites like Willy Willy or Camp Lonesome.

User avatar
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Coral Springs

Re: Everglades camping 4-5 day camping trip

Post by Cookinman »

firebeforice wrote:thanks dude. Well, I can't afford an Epirb, but we are grown men so we should be okay (famous last words). Definitely, will bring a first kit and my mosquito head net. I am hoping the bugs wont be too bad and the fishing to be solid :reeling: . My plan is to be conservative with our paddling mileage, set up camp, and then fish for a few hours each day. I am a bit concerned about the tides, but this is an adventure, so whatever. I would like to get to some remote backcountry sites like Willy Willy or Camp Lonesome.

Logon to the FS Site - Look for 'Kayak Rolando' - He does extended everglades yak fish/ camps all the time - cant think of anyone better to ask for advise.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Post Reply

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”