Pompano, when their in/out of town....Panama City area

Escambia - Pensacola - West Pensacola, Santa Rosa - Munson - Bagdad - Oriole Beach, Okaloosa - Destin - Fort Walton Beach, Walton - Paxton - De Funiak Springs - Miramar Beach, Holmes, Washington, Bay - Panama City - Panama City Beach, Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf - Port St. Joe, Franklin - Apalachicola - Lanark Village
Visionz45
Fisher

Pompano, when their in/out of town....Panama City area

Post by Visionz45 »

Ive just returned to Maine after a great week and a half of surf fishing around Panama City. I showed up on the full moon, though, the fishing didn't seem to change as it waned. I caught a number of pomp as long as the ladyfish didn't snag my jig first. Sand fleas on my surf pole were quite productive as well. What are the "in times" for pompano in the northern gulf, especially the PC area? Are they around during the height of the summer or winter? I always try to make it down sometime in late April to late May and find the fishing to be excellent. The 28.5" Red that snagged my pomp jig on 8lb line was an unexpected plus for the trip(though quite difficult in moderate surf to land). :D
Model 70, nuff said

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Pompano, when their in/out of town....Panama City area

Post by Green Tide »

Mid March to end of May is usually the spring run season for pomps. The over sized reds start getting thick a few months earlier.The smaller reds are always there in the bays. This month they hosted one of the big redfish tournaments out of PC.
Were you on the west end of the beach?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Visionz45
Fisher

Post by Visionz45 »

I still have a valid military ID so I avoided the crowds and hit Tyndall's section of Shell Island(minus the fact that St. Andrews shuttles people to the very end of Shell.....so I avoided the Shell Jetty).
Model 70, nuff said

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

oh, i have a pass to get over there too. it was like 20 per year. that is an excellent area. also further down to east beach access. anyone can go in there though.
salvador has fished there i think.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Visionz45
Fisher

Post by Visionz45 »

The crooked Island end had some great Blue action on the point immediately to the west of the entrance. I fished the Mexico Beach(town line end) end and hit short pomp and whiting. I will have a kayak this fall season to access the deeper sections of the beach.
Model 70, nuff said

Return to “NW Florida all Countys”