Seeking Advice for Cape Coral & Sanibel area in February

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
Tankos
Fisher

Seeking Advice for Cape Coral & Sanibel area in February

Post by Tankos »

Hi All!

My friend and I from England will be spending a week fishing in Cape Coral from 10th-17th February. We will be renting a boat for a a few of the days but plan on doing a lot of shore fishing as well.

We had a made a similar trip last year in March and didn't do very well catching millions of small catfish and some very small snappers, sea trout and redfish. The best fish we caught were a couple of canal jacks on lures right near where we were staying!

For this years trip I am doing a lot more planning and research in the hope of hooking up with some fish that will pull back! Which leads me onto my question; can anyone give me advice on productive spots around the area (we will have a car) and also tips on rigs, bait and best times in relation to the tide at this time of year please?? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

From research I have done thus far good spots seem to be the Sanibel Causeway beaches and bridge structure, Sanibel lighthouse pier and Blind Pass bridge area all around high tide mark. In terms of species I gather it is the time of year for snook, sheepshead, sea trout, redfish and possibly snapper (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Any canal fishing tips would also be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Tankos

ccb
Fisher

Re: Seeking Advice for Cape Coral & Sanibel area in February

Post by ccb »

I stayed in cape Coral last year and didn't do well. I got catfish too. I started to scout out Pine Island. If you yak try Mel's just over the bridge on right. Nice guy and he will tell you where to go.

Tankos
Fisher

Post by Tankos »

Thanks ccb I'll keep that in mind. Anyone else got any useful tips to help me in my quest?

ccb
Fisher

Post by ccb »

Also he (Mel) writes for the local fishing papers in the area. hot spots and places to fish arouund Pine Island.

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”