Everglades city / tamiami trail 6/22/2012

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
swordfish
SHARKER

Everglades city / tamiami trail 6/22/2012

Post by swordfish »

Couldn't sleep due to anxiety so gave up on trying around 6AM. I headed out with just a thought of pitching a lure at tamiami trail canals to try and catch the now illusive LMB. I started out with a frog near the lily pads and got hit many times but couldn't connect. I switched to a gold spoon for kicks and on the third cast connected with a solid 5-6 lbs Peacock! This thing was MASSIVE, and unfortunately shook me off on the third jump!

Undeterred, I pitched it back out and ended up catching about 4-5 more peacocks, but they were all on the smallish side... They loved the action of the gold spoon in that dirty water. After a little while I decided to move on... BTW as a side note there is construction going on on 41 and it is a pain to get through... On the good side It seems they are making it 2 lanes each way, at least the first bit of it.

Now the sad part... The whole day I didn't see a single LMB which I used to catch many of them before in those waters. That upsets me, but it is what it is. Given my lack of success and my need to drive I made up my mind to hit chokoloskee. The drive was wet and when I made it a storm loomed and the wind was kicking. Using the same spoon I tossed it up current and let it drift and bounce its way back down through the ripping outgoing tide. After about 3 casts I got clobbered, followed by a decent fight... and up comes this solid grover! I was pretty happy and kept at it, I ended up catching and releasing 2 more... Unfortunately, no redfish and no trout which is why I went over there... Considering I was only pitching lures I can't complain much... I would love to learn to fish that area since it looks sooo promising.

Finally, pics... Sorry for my rambling, I used to be a little better at reports.

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Everglades city / tamiami trail 6/22/2012

Post by Albacized »

Since you mentioned Everglades City and I know that's more so towards the Naples end of the Tamiami Trail, would it be fair to guess that these fish were caught in the stretch from EC to Naples or were they caught further east? If you don't want to give up a specific spot, that's fine...but since I'll be in Naples soon, just wanted to find out if this was a possibility for me without burning too much gas.

Specifically I was heading down on a split trip, splitting 6 days between Naples and Juno over on the east coast. And for the most part, this was a saltwater trip - but I had my eye on peacocks for a while and was thinking about finding some time to put into them...but until I saw you're post, I had been planning to scratch that itch while back over on the east coast (while taking the hr drive from Juno down to the Ft Lauderdale area)...but this would be a sweeter option

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

My freshwater knowledge is very limited... If I had to bet, Id say try asking in the lauderdale forums... Theres plenty of fish to be had there. As far as where I caught mine, it was by the Indian gaming place over at tamiami. I want to catch some trout and reds from land... I know my best bet is the west coast for the both of them on one trip, but lately I cant seem to connect with either.

-swordfish

Megalops Atlanticus
Fisher

Post by Megalops Atlanticus »

Great post, man!

I used to live in Everglades City for many years (up till Wilma in 2005). Lots of great shore fishing opportunities, for sure!

As for trout and reds, a good place to start is the Sea Grape Canal, right next to the Big Cypress National Preserve Headquaters in Ochopee. (not the Visitor Center out by the Collier/Dade line, that's different).

Some big snook (and decent tarpon) also spend all summer in there, especially when the water flow is nice during the wet season.

Cool to see some Peacocks, too! I actually never caught one in all my years down there, but there is a good chance I will be moving back to E-City for the winter in a month or two... So I hope to get a few shots at some when the winds are too high for boating the 10,000 Islands, etc.

Great report!!! Thanks man!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”