NBB, Naples, Keys

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
Moose
KING MACKEREL

NBB, Naples, Keys

Post by Moose »

over the past month fishing has been scarce (real fishing, like dedicating serious time and really targeting fish). I recently bought a car and im in the midst of beginning pharmacy school so between work, school and gf duties its been tough...

went to naples pier the other day because my gf wanted to go to Wawa...decided i'd make it a quick west coast trip and hit up the pier...man, was it slammed on a sunday. Not with fisherman either, but with tourists...first cast my gf makes and she;s slammed with a nice mack...lost him on the flip (i didnt bring my net)..i finally tie up and after a few casts boom..nice mack on the wood...a few casts later another nice mack on the deck. My gf was gettign cut off every other cast on crappie jigs...after about 1 hr i had landed about 8-9 and kept only the first 2 which were also the largest....got reprimanded by the pier police about using treble hooks though
IMG_1964.JPG
one guy caught a pompano and my gf caught some great pictures of porpoise breaching..she was a happy camper (tommy (tommy

I was able to escape the other day after work and hit up some grass flats near my apartment. The late sunsets are a nice luxury....action was slow but i managed a couple trout and a cuda in a couple hours...one trout was a nice chunky one.
image2.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG
Had last some time off as well and went off to the keys for an afternoon...bite was slow and it was hot :nopity: ....luckily we found a spot full of grouper that kept us busy on light tackle. We got so bored at the begining that i was sight casting houndies...and the biggest one i caught was 35".
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Re: NBB, Naples, Keys

Post by xtremeh18 »

Good job man! Congrats on your catches :toast:

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

Very nice report Moose! Glad you had some fishing time! :D

BTW, why did the police reprimand for using treble hooks?

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

sweetmerlin wrote:Very nice report Moose! Glad you had some fishing time! :D

BTW, why did the police reprimand for using treble hooks?
you're not allowed to have trebles there because of all the tourists and for "pelican safety".

i went to a tackle shop there and was wondering why so many lures has only single shank hooks

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Nice report man...itw the stupidest thing ive ever heard...if u dont want to get hooked, i sugest you give me about 50ft ...lol....no really, its dumb...if you made the pier for tourist, then you should probably kill yourself..and we all know how dumb these pelicans are..treble or single, they dont care and will munch down anything you flip on the deck...looks like a pier to avoid for me..lol

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Nice report man...itw the stupidest thing ive ever heard...if u dont want to get hooked, i sugest you give me about 50ft ...lol....no really, its dumb...if you made the pier for tourist, then you should probably kill yourself..and we all know how dumb these pelicans are..treble or single, they dont care and will munch down anything you flip on the deck...looks like a pier to avoid for me..lol
the pier is actually really nice and well built. On the weekends it is a tourist nightmare though...imagine about 15 fisherman and 200 tourists walking the pier...literally that was the ratio when i went...when i was going to flip the second mack some guy got right in front of me to see the fish...i warned him 3 times to get our of the way and then i just said "ok, here he comes" and he was dodging a flying mack. I left the two macks on the deck because i had no cooler and i swear i heard "holy mackerel" like 38 times....needless to say i will never go again on the weekend..

to be fair, the pier is free, parking is cheap, and from what i gathered from the locals its very good for macks and tarpon when the time is right....my girl got to see a bunch of dolphins so that was a plus...the macks were so thick that day that there was a goog using a 100% wire chicken rig and even he got one

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

With that many tourists in town i would expect that finding a parking space near the pier would be very tough even on a weekday ??.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Not really. They are always coming and going. There is a construction lot about 4 blocks away ne of the pier that I park at and just walk. I only carried two light rods and a backpack with the bare essentials (lures, leader, line and pliers).

During the week it's probably wayyyyy slower.

Return to “Dade County”