Newport Fishing Pier 2013-14-15 "Reports Only"

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Re: Newport Fishing Pier 2013 "Reports Only"

Post by Laz1287 »

bluesea wrote:good to know that bait is around. you were using Sabiki to catch the bait or netting from the beach?.
Sabiki rig. Although I had to take off the little plumes that are on the gold hooks in order for the herring to hit. Was rather amusing to see other fishermen get frustrated cause they saw me pulling them up one after another and they'd maybe catch one :P .

I wonder why they added those little plumes to them. I used to make my own with tiny gold hooks only. And they worked ( baitless ) just fine on pretty much any kind of bait that was hanging around. Then again, that was before sabiki even made them and the old pilchard rings/nets were still being sold everywhere. Great, now I feel old, lol.

Also forgot to mention huge schools of greenies just past the surf line. Nothing feeding on them though, well, nothing worth mentioning anyway ( just needlefish ).

Eorta19
Fisher

Post by Eorta19 »

Going to check out the pier in the next couple of weeks for the first time. Any advice?

kwlorii
Fisher

Post by kwlorii »

I went to Newport pier from 8am till like 2pm. The windy conditions was a bit annoying but fishable. Caught 4 jacks. Next time I'm taking the hubby. But the pier itself looks clean but just not the same from back in the days. :happyfisherman:

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phino »

kwlorii wrote:I went to Newport pier from 8am till like 2pm. The windy conditions was a bit annoying but fishable. Caught 4 jacks. Next time I'm taking the hubby. But the pier itself looks clean but just not the same from back in the days. :happyfisherman:
thanks for the report. i definitely miss the old days there =)
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Any recent reports? Heading out there in a few weeks
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Went yesterday and today between 530 and 915 am.

Tons of bait fish yesterday. Thinned out a bit today though. I didn't didn't catch anything either day and neither did anyone else who was there. Saw some big fish swimming around and I thought they were cudas, but some guy that was there called them by another name in Spanish.
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

G_Loc wrote:Went yesterday and today between 530 and 915 am.

Tons of bait fish yesterday. Thinned out a bit today though. I didn't didn't catch anything either day and neither did anyone else who was there. Saw some big fish swimming around and I thought they were cudas, but some guy that was there called them by another name in Spanish.
robalo?

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Yea I think that's what he said.

Went back this morning for a bit before rain blew through the area. Didn't catch anything again.

Site note - I tried out some of that Gulp artificial shrimp bait. Whatever small fish were down there would go crazy for that stuff.
www.cheesepatrol.com

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Robalo en espanol=snook

humbleaslamb
Fisher

Post by humbleaslamb »

went fishing on Sunday evening from 6pm to 10:30pm. Conditions were good overall but the bite was slow when i got there. lots of bait everywhere. the action picked up at sunset but only blue runners and quite a few amber jack on the right side of the pier. greys started biting around the same time. you have to cast out very far on the left side of the pair to get to them. squid was the only thing that worked. saw a couple of guys fishing for sharks. they had no luck but i left before they did. the pier was crowded with lots of families and tourists both fishing and sight seeing. the new bar that was opened at the entrance of the pier seemed pretty nice and had a good crowd. bought a guinness which cost me $8 bucks. what a rip off. ended up with a few lesser ajs and two greys. one runner. i fished here at the end of summer last year and the snapper bite is usually good around this time of year.

humbleaslamb
Fisher

Post by humbleaslamb »

Good action on this pier lately. Lots of Mack's. Not a lot of pomps like last year. But then again nobody really brings and fleas to this pier. Still early days I suppose. Weather was favorable all weekend and this fish were cooperating. This pier is still new so it is never crowded. Good place to start without being harassed.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

humbleaslamb wrote:Good action on this pier lately. Lots of Mack's. Not a lot of pomps like last year. But then again nobody really brings and fleas to this pier. Still early days I suppose. Weather was favorable all weekend and this fish were cooperating. This pier is still new so it is never crowded. Good place to start without being harassed.
thanks for the report....i live down the street.. maybe its time to give it a shot..been a while since i have gone there

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

grew up on that pier, good snook spot

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Has anyone been out there lately?
www.cheesepatrol.com

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Well I went yesterday from 5:30 AM till 9:30 AM. There was tons of seaweed. Bait wasn't as thick as other times, but it was there. Didn't see anyone catch any keepers. At one point, I saw what looked like a decent sized school of big fish swimming within casting distance of the north side of the pier.
www.cheesepatrol.com

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Gloc
Didnt you go there this time last year

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Yep I'm almost always up in the area this time of year
www.cheesepatrol.com

HookinSnook
Old Salt

Re: Newport Fishing Pier 2013-14-15 "Reports Only"

Post by HookinSnook »

Any reports?
Frank

humbleaslamb
Fisher

Post by humbleaslamb »

Went this Monday. A whole lot of mangroves. Fish and Game carted two people off with some illegal fish. ladyfish i think. fished from 9pm to about 130am. steady wind from se. not too crowded either. some other guy was there trying for permit with sand fleas. said he caught one there last year at 4am one night. wished him luck. good fishing at this pier. glad its never too crowded.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Just wondering is this pier in California?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Lol no that is a different Newport, this one is in north Miami beach, sunny isles beach area.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

humbleaslamb wrote:Went this Monday. A whole lot of mangroves. Fish and Game carted two people off with some illegal fish. ladyfish i think. fished from 9pm to about 130am. steady wind from se. not too crowded either. some other guy was there trying for permit with sand fleas. said he caught one there last year at 4am one night. wished him luck. good fishing at this pier. glad its never too crowded.

we all should make an effort to call in illegal ladyfish harvesting

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

yeah, specially for those who caught unregulated-illegal ladyfish...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I can't find this pier. Is there an address? Everything on Google fall short on this pier. Almost hidden. ....thanks

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Rare wrote:I can't find this pier. Is there an address? Everything on Google fall short on this pier. Almost hidden. ....thanks
NE 163rd st and A1A Just north of haulover across from oleta river park. .... When you search on google put Newport pier Miami otherwise it will bring up the one in Cali.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Hey Nelson I see that green light at the tip of your pole bouncing.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Green Tide wrote:Hey Nelson I see that green light at the tip of your pole bouncing.

:reeling:

ccaptcharles29
Fisher

Post by ccaptcharles29 »

I was in north miami yesterday and decided to check out the pier for the first time around 5pm. A few guys on the end and not much going on. There were some small blue runners on the end. That was the only bait around. I threw one out on a flat line and watched a bucket float in, there was a tiny tripletail on it. I messed with it for a minute and let it chew on a piece of cut blue runner. One guy said there were macks around and i tied on a gotcha. I had several swipe at it but couldn't get one hooked. While messing with them i forgot i had a flatline still out. A guy next to me let me know i had something on. It turned out to be a lesser aj. I went back to the gotcha and caught a couple jack crevelles. Another guy caught a jack while i was there. I tried crappie jigs and 00 clark spoon but the only thing the mackeral would look at was the gotcha. I fished till dark and that was it.

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Threw a gotcha and a yo-zuri around yesterday from 6 to 8 but nothing happening.

Somebody caught a decent mack on bottom off the T. There were a couple small schools of big threadfins swimming around the T and a couple pods of mullet swimming north really fast. Water was a nice and clear green, you could easily see bottom from the majority of the pier. A couple tarpon swam through too, it shouldn't be long until they're coming up thicker.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

havent seen a school like that in a while

Return to “Dade County”