would you eat......

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
grouperking
Old Salt

would you eat......

Post by grouperking »

A bass? If yea let me know your opinion about eating it and cooking it. If not let me know why

just really curious. :chef:

fasted1500
Weekend Warrior

Re: would you eat......

Post by fasted1500 »

It depends where the bass was caught. A nasty canal or small lake, Hell No! I might consider trying one that was caught in a large body of water, such as everglades or Lake Okeechobee.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

X2 I would also consider trying one and probably only one from a true freshwater body. But when I'm fishing the lakes and canals and somebody comes up asking why I'm not keeping/eating it and can they have it :scold: that really pisses me off... mind your own business and if you really want Mercury poisoning and whatever other parasites/chemicals are there catch them yourself :mad: but I guess that's too difficult for some.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

I ate bass back in the days out of rock quarries pretty damn good fried in a pan...

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

By me I'm surrounded by farms and the run offs are what feed into most of the lakes up here. To much fertilizer for me to risk it. Not to mention we have numerous other better tasting fish
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Today NO, I have a rule not to eat any fresh water fish caught South of Lake O, but I think now I need to move the border farther North. Why -- Chemicals from runoff and direct dumping by cattle, grass, and sugar farmers into the drainage systems which connect to most all canals and ponds the flow managed nicely by the SFWMD (water fugger uppers).

Was raised in S. Miami in the 50's and 60's we ate plenty of bass from the neighborhood lakes "Westwood Lakes" , but no way today.

Today I'd even question salt water caught fish within sight of shore, even though I do eat fish caught, and speared, off the Broward, Dade, and Monroe coast on reefs, not to mention lobster caught.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Yea this was years ago. There is no where in sofl i would eat a bass from these days.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Don't forget run-off from garbage dumps and septic tanks. :pale:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

ohh man there is nothing i love more then some fresh fryed bass fillets in the morning with my grits delicious
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nope, as a rule of thumb, I don't eat any freshwater fish from South FL.

But, I did eat the hell out of some fried specks (crappie) and frog legs after duck hunting on Lake Okeechobee last weekend, and they were great. I may grow a 3rd eye, we'll see.

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”