Got squirrel?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Got squirrel?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

This section seems a little slow. I know there aren't many hunters here, but hunting season is coming. Anyone else like squirrel?

Squirrel hunting is actually a blast if you've never done it...the ones in the woods are a heck of a lot smarter then the ones in the park. Takes a lot of patience and sitting still to get them.

BBQ squirrel..
Ingredients:

Squirrel(s)
Olive oil
Apricot preserves
Sriracha sauce

Clean your squirrels. Make an ice bath, soak them for 4-6 hours, it will draw out the rest of the blood and eliminate any "gamey" taste.

Make your glaze:
Add 1/2 cup of apricot preserves and 1/8 cup of Sriracha chili sauce (more if you like more spice) in a small sauce pan. Simmer about 15 minutes until the sauce reduces, let cool.

Preheat your grill, rub squirrels with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on grill, lower heat to low, brush liberally with glaze. Cook 20-30 minutes on low, make sure not to overcook or they will be dry, brush with glaze throughout. Enjoy.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Got squirrel?

Post by clarence2society »

i love squirrels i couldnt eat em.... but the plate looks bad azz

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

I can't eat them either they look like ferrets l love all them little animals rabbits etc.

It sure looks good on That plate.

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

Brunswick stew - best squirrel dish ever

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yep I make that too..that is how I grew up eating them (stewed). Usually make a big pot of it when I shoot 6 or 8 of them, and then freeze it in portions. But if you've never tried bbq'ing them, it is worth it.

Rob, if you still work up in Jupiter, try to take a 1/2 day around Christmas...we'll go out to Dupuis. There is no one out there during small game season in the oak hammocks and the squirrels are easy pickin's.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

they are very lucky for me a normal meal will be three of them lol,i have a few on my patio you know the ones from Miami ,they eat my mangos ,avocados I used to give them peanuts but rats start joining the club lol.

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”