do you eat any of the following?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
Eman305
Weekend Warrior

do you eat any of the following?

Post by Eman305 »

I'm curious if you guys eat pompano, permit and what it taste like. Also are sharks any good? Are the sardines that swim around the bridges the same as the ones in the cans?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: do you eat any of the following?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yes on pompano and permit. Pompano are great at any size, permit are good under 15 lbs or so, the bigger ones are tough.

I don't eat sharks but some do, if you keep one to eat, keep a smaller blacktip or a bonnethead, and make sure to take care of the meat properly or it will taste like ass. They don't freeze well, so only keep one if you are having a cookout or planning on feeding a lot of people.

I have no idea about the sardines, I don't eat bait, whether it is swimming in the ocean or in a can :mrgreen:

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Blacktip on the grill is awesome. Just clean it as soon as you catch it and it will keep much better. Don't put it on ice.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I cant wait till Pompano season,,, I try to catch enough to get me through the hole year,,, gotta love the seal a meal machine

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

pompanos usually pretty good it has a very distinct taste to it.
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

joenofishhere wrote:Blacktip on the grill is awesome. Just clean it as soon as you catch it and it will keep much better. Don't put it on ice.
8) Bad advice. Gut the shark and head it, leave the body intact. Put on ice as soon as you can. Don't leave the shark lay around too long after you catch it. It'll get a smell that will not be able to remove.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I had to try a Pilchard the other day, just to see what some people get so excited about. I scaled and gutted, fried a couple in oil left over from a fish-fry. Actually wasn't bad.

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

Pomps are great.
Permit, I don't know.
Blacktips & bonnets around 3' or so are excellent fare. We cut the head right off (careful, I got bit about 25 min. after beheading) & hang the body in the water for 15 min. Then, gut & keep cool-cold. When at home, keep the knife sharpener handy. Skin it or steak it. Soak in milk/water for a couple hours & cook any way you can imagine.

Ed
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

the sardines in a can are spanish sardines,btw i dont eat em maybe in an emergency.

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”