Mercury really a concern?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Mercury really a concern?

Post by BEOWULF »

After catching a mess of Spanish Mackerel over the weekend, I ended up freezing most of it because of the mercury warnings that Florida posts for all species. It seems that all species are a concern, some more than others.

I would eat fish every day but I really hesitate because of this. I would like to hear from other fishermen who don't heed these warnings and who eat their fish catches often and in large amounts. Have you experienced any symptoms of mercury poisoning?

shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Re: Mercury really a concern?

Post by shmegger »

They say that eating fish reduces your chance of heart disease. Since there are too many people in my family with heart problems, and I've never met anyone that had mercury poisoning, I don't worry about it.
Support local fisheries. Buy wild Gulf Shrimp.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I know a commercial guy who eats too much swordfish and got poisoned, but I am skeptical about smaller coastal fish being anywhere near as bad as they say.

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

if you look at floridas doh site they give the list and for most small fish u can have one too two meals a week. now as far the symptoms of mercury poisoning you wont really see the effects till later its not gonna be like other things over night it has too build up in your system look up the defintion.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/floridafishadvice/

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

If your planning on having kids, keep eating fish to a minumum until you do. Mercury has been linked to dozens of birth defects. Avoid big botton fish, Grouper, shark, stuff like that. They will have much higher Mercury content then schoolies. Mercury is cumulative, meaning the more they eat the more Mercury accumulates in their bodies. Sharks for example, you eat a Shark, your consuming most of the Mercury in every fish that Shark ever ate. Same with all big bottom feeders.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Rijkaard wrote:mostly bulls**t, especially small spanish macks have almost zero mercury level, I eat fish 3-4 times per week at least and never experienced any problem
Talk to Greg, the guy that jigs on the Reward. He thought the same until he got poisoned. His poisoning came from eating kingfish and grouper I think. Talk to him, he will explain.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

rare wrote:Take a look at Japan & the city/town where they eat flipper. I saw the film after James posted it here.... The Cove. Highest count of mercury poisoning in Japan (maybe the world) is the city were they eat dolphins
Whale meat has the highest toxin rate of anything that swims. Most can't legally be sold here because of it. Way over FDA minimums. Due to the ban on Whaling, they started to fill in the gap with Dolphin (Porpose). Let's face it, those people will eat anything that swims. And they keep everything they catch. Sun morning, a guy (One of the ribbon fishers) was going to keep a sea robin another guy caught, I told him it was protected and a 5000 dollar fine if he's caught. Back it went to the strange looks of a few. I quietly explaned if we don't do that there won't be any fish left at Anglens when they get done. Everyone agreed :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

Once all the pollution slowly makes its way to the reefs from big sugar via ground water, I'd be hesitant to eat much in the way of reef fish, period. It's a disaster waiting to happen and there's little to nothing that can be done about it.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

cudaman wrote:Talk to Greg, the guy that jigs on the Reward. He thought the same until he got poisoned. His poisoning came from eating kingfish and grouper I think. Talk to him, he will explain.
Not surprised at that, the Kings are large high-risk fish.

However, around 15 years ago, before I knew about that, someone at work gave away a bunch of huge Kingfish fillets and I went for all of them and ignorantly ate all of them. They were awesome, but...

As I look back, it was just around that same time that I started developing really bad "shaky hands", had no idea why. Coincidence? Thought I was getting Alzheimers or something, even went to a neurologist (who said I didn't have anything to worry about, hmm).

I'm convinced it was the mercury. Anyway, my hands are much better these days, thank God!

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”