Yankee Capts July 2016 Trip - reservations

Info on Fishing Party Boats in the South Florida Area.
gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Yankee Capts July 2016 Trip - reservations

Post by gruntking »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Great trip, conditions were tough but Greg did the best he could. Any time you can go out for 4 days with a good group of guys, fish your ass off, drink a few beers, is a good time.

GK sounds like a jealous b!tch who is pissed because he has to sneak onto condemned, falling apart bridges, to catch 18" snapper.
guy that's any bridge in the keys

Seriously will one of you asshats please tell me where I hated all I wanted was to see some pics for Fula sake

Have I said it was a sht trip ?

I haven't hated on any of y'all I'm not jealous

I have no reason to be or to hate on y'all
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I know that is your way of asking people to hurry up posting pictures..

How about youtube... I were able to manage only two videos...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I am writing my analysis based on my observation on current and wind... I will share when I am ready...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Here is my analysis on the current...this is just my initial thought. It may not be correct...
I did jigging most time but I saw something weird going on with current when I did bottom fishing...

I observed there were about three different under-water currents and wind.

1. When bait rig or jig is dropped from the boat, it dropped strait down for a while.
Surface current was about 2.5 knot, which means the boat drift 80 yard per min.
This is because water resistance is not build up yet and boat didn't drift much.

2. in about 100ft, bait and jig starts to move forward/away for the boat.
Water resistance on the line and rig/jig is built up and boat drifted far enough.

3. When the rig/jig is about to hit the bottom, strong under-current moving faster than the speed of boat drift to same direction.
Soft bottom and this strong underwater current makes it hard to detect if sinker/jig hit the bottom as the line may not be even straight...
(One time before queen snapper spot, we had under-current moving opposite direction from the boat drift. I realized my 28oz weight was even off the bottom)

4. Biggest mistake after sinker hit bottom would be to let continuously the line out... Sinker already hit bottom. But if the line is continuously let out, the main line will go out the other side of sinker swivel (if fish finder rig is used)... And it will build up more water resistance and will eventually make sinker not able to hold bottom... meaning sinker will be off the bottom 30ft ~ 50ft(who knows)... And strong under-water current will pull the rig ahead of the boat position, which will cause the line go under the boat... when the line is retrieved, it will have a good chance to bottom snag.
Those whose line went under the boat may not have a good chance of catching fish because their rig may be way off the bottom.

5.In my humble opinion, ideal weight size should 16oz or more in order to detect bottom. Once it hit the bottom, no more line shouldn't go out not to build any more water resistance. Fishes are not at bottom but about 5ft or more up from the bottom. And once a while, check if weight hit the bottom or not. Those with 8 oz may not be able to do this.

6. At drift boat fishing, groupers and big snappers swallowed the bait and hook is set by boat drift. The only explanation why there was not much catch is the bait was away off the target.
current.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Half finished spicy tuna salad... typically there is more vegetable than tuna but today salad has way more tuna...lol
spicy tuna salad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Nothing fancy.....

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Congrats to everyone that caught fish! Good job guys! :toast:

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

Sounds like you guys had good time which is must important. Also had some nice catches.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

Oh what Is the story on that cudaman rod? Heard a lot of references to it.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

ffishermen1 wrote:Oh what Is the story on that cudaman rod? Heard a lot of references to it.
Last year Jongsoo brought a Blackhole rod from Korea. I loved the fact that the nano carbon rod was so light and the rod had the guts to bring big fish in by using the rod itself. I was using 80 to 450 gram jigs and even used 500 gram jigs with no problem. Usually slow pitch rods do not have the back bone to do so and you can only use your reel to bring in the fish or they will snap like a twig. With the Shark Guy rod it was different. Jonsoo asked me if I had ideas on making it a better rod and so we worked on it and ordered some blanks to our likings. We tested the rods and built about five of them to test. We tested the rods for almost a year and I was not able to break a single one and you can see on some videos I do high stick them a bit (not recomended). The rod now have better guides (titanium sic), are doubled wrapped (a wrap is under the guide, and a double wrap over the guide feet), Some of us have brought 30 to 5o pound class amber jacks and 20 pound class groupers and blackfin tunas to the boat. As you can see on some of those videos Jongsoo took, William and I use the rod to bring in the fish with ease. Well, in the end, the rods are now for sale at http://www.jiggingdepot.com

By the way this rod is a Slow Jigging Rod, made to bounce the jigs near the bottom and to slowly jig to the top, but since it has a backbone, you can use it to speed jig anything from 80 to 200 gram jigs.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Herb, Are you saying you're bouncing 17 ounce jigs off the bottom hooking large fish and are you using high-speed reel with the rod doing the work.
The two videos did not work when I tried them.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Green Tide wrote:Herb, Are you saying you're bouncing 17 ounce jigs off the bottom hooking large fish and are you using high-speed reel with the rod doing the work.
The two videos did not work when I tried them.
Yes John, that is correct. I used up to 500 grams, but mainly 220 to 350. I only used one pound jigs when I could not get the 220 to 350 gram jigs to the bottom. And yes, you use the rod to do most of the bouncing for you. An you use the rod just like any other normal rod to pump the fish to the boat. The rod is like a spring with back bone, LOL.

maybe using this other link works. (this is from last year)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTZAKQJrVY

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Fantastic coolers guys, sucks you got into a bit of a gyre but it happens.

After reading herbs post about the fancy jigging rod its crystal clear you two are way smarter than what is allowed.

Any queens?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

LOL, no queens. We tried, but the current and the wind were nuts. It created a ball of 18 tangles. I asked everyone not to use chicken rigs and to use 1 pound of lead. But there were several chicken rigs, a few 8 ounce weights, a few 10 ounces weights, ect,,, Next time we will do it like cod fishing, a line of people dropping one by one (if we get into that situation again.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

thanks Herb that rod sounds pretty sweet. Maybe I will have to try that slow jig technique. The other way is to much work for me. :lol:

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Chicken rigs at pulley? Hopefully Greg didn't make them walk the plank.

Bummer about the queens. I'll have to fly back next year and get back on the boat.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

ffishermen1 wrote:thanks Herb that rod sounds pretty sweet. Maybe I will have to try that slow jig technique. The other way is to much work for me. :lol:

You're welcome :toast: , and I know what you mean on the speed jigging.
Last edited by cudaman on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Leadslinger wrote:Chicken rigs at pulley? Hopefully Greg didn't make them walk the plank.

Bummer about the queens. I'll have to fly back next year and get back on the boat.

Glad to know you are coming back. :toast: I will post the information on next year's trip this week or next week.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Green Tide wrote:Herb, Are you saying you're bouncing 17 ounce jigs off the bottom hooking large fish and are you using high-speed reel with the rod doing the work. The two videos did not work when I tried them.
Basically, drop 500g (17.6 oz) jig over 400~500ft bottom. Doing yo yo jigging nothing fancy....keeping the jig up and down within about 5 ft above the floor.
Fish living over 400-500ft water swallows anything... 500g jig is easy to reach and stay the sea floor.

Here are URL's for two videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT45LwynZI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTGZmgerMw

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

ffishermen1 wrote:thanks Herb that rod sounds pretty sweet. Maybe I will have to try that slow jig technique. The other way is to much work for me. :lol:
I was able to jig almost throughout the whole trip...(In fact, I felt bait fishing was harder than jigging). At the end, there were only 4 guys fishing...still two jigging (William and myself) and two bottom fishing (Miami Chris and Gilbert). Jig outfished baits...
In order to jig properly for a long time, unfortunately, you need the right gear... meaning rod, reel, and line...
I had been using right reel and rod but not right line until this trip.
With 0.30mm diameter braid line (PE2.5, 40 LB), I felt every small motion of jig with almost zero water resistance...
It was eye opener to me... I could jig up nice fishes at 300ft or deeper water like I jig up mackerels with crappie at pier.
My coolers are full with 4 tunas, 4 groupers, 5 snappers, 2 tiles... I lost some nice fished due to gaff mistake...
And I may be only one who didn't jig up bonnie for entire trip...as I was able to maintain my jig within 2 ~ 3 ft from the bottom when a school of bonnies are around.
How do I know 2 ~ 3 ft off the bottom? Simple answer : my rod tells me everything over PE 2.5 line.

If you want to try my set up. let me know.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote: At the end, there were only 4 guys fishing...still 1 jigging (William and myself) and 3 bottom fishing (Miami Chris, Rare, and BNZ ). Jig outfished baits....

I dont remember if you were there when i spotted the dolphin riding with us. The last guys standing as i recall is in bold. I think Gilbert may have been at the stern towards the end as well but not sure. BNZ, William and i were at the bow and Chris at the stern

That last hour Capt. Greg moved to try to get us more fish (thanks, Capt) and Miami Chris landed the last fish. (boney # 101) The reel had nice drag or like he called it a piece of &%*#(#@! :jocolor: . Also,on the last hour the booze wagon showed up and Ed was their leader. Cheering us on and the whole gang rallying to get fish in the box. Then like a fart in the wind their attention focus on the dolphins smashing the flyer. :cheers: The fins were with us in 2 spot and the last spot they were gone.

Now, that slow pitch rod is sweet and i will also take a look at it. It's more my style and i will enjoy it more than the speed jigging which i dont mind doing but it's boring to me. The more i think about it the more i do enjoy this trip. I do think that jarred overloaded on protein drink on this trip. He did more protein in 1 day then ronnie coleman

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote: At the end, there were only 4 guys fishing...still 1 jigging (William and myself) and 3 bottom fishing (Miami Chris, Rare, and BNZ ). Jig outfished baits....
I dont remember if you were there when i spotted the dolphin riding with us. The last guys standing as i recall is in bold. I think Gilbert may have been at the stern towards the end as well but not sure. BNZ, William and i were at the bow and Chris at the stern

Now, that slow pitch rod is sweet and i will also take a look at it. It's more my style and i will enjoy it more than the speed jigging which i dont mind doing but it's boring to me. The more i think about it the more i do enjoy this trip. I do think that jarred overloaded on protein drink on this trip. He did more protein in 1 day then ronnie coleman
At last spot, I was at stern with William as all the left-over baits was dumped. Ed made William and me doing some kinda of jigging contest...I didn't know you were at bow... Yeah I saw the dolphin riding on bow but nothing special to me as I've seen them all the time in AK...if it were 25ft killer whale, it would be something special...

Glad you liked slow pitch rod... I guess those 4 chemical red bulls that Jared drank in a day is healthier than eating McDonald???

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Rare wrote:

That last hour Capt. Greg moved to try to get us more fish (thanks, Capt) and Miami Chris landed the last fish. (boney # 101) The reel had nice drag or like he called it a piece of &%*#(#@! :jocolor: . Also,on the last hour the booze wagon showed up and Ed was their leader. Cheering us on and the whole gang rallying to get fish in the box. Then like a fart in the wind their attention focus on the dolphins smashing the flyer. :cheers: The fins were with us in 2 spot and the last spot they were gone.

I hate that reel lol. It does have a smooth drag, but zero cranking power. Nothing like turning the handle and watching the spool not move lol. Now i have an excuse to sell this one and buy another reel :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

What is the red bull good for?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:What is the red bull good for?
I don't know...never had a time to try one yet...as I was too busy eating McDonald

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Please look for this information....I would like to know.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Leadslinger wrote:Fantastic coolers guys, sucks you got into a bit of a gyre but it happens.
Not to hyjack my favorite thread but ...........Leadslinger I would have lost a ten grand bet not a single person on the forum or ever has been on this forum knew what a gyre was let alone that could use the word correctly. Not that my opinion is worth a damn but I am blown away. Gyre is on my list of top five cool words that no one knows.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy one of those rods, but the link on the Jigging Depot site doesn't have a price or a way to buy one. Help?

http://www.jiggingdepot.com/index.php?r ... ation_id=5

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

contact kblue directly

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking to buy one of those rods, but the link on the Jigging Depot site doesn't have a price or a way to buy one. Help?

http://www.jiggingdepot.com/index.php?r ... ation_id=5
PM sent

Return to “Party/Head Boats Info”