anyone wana go on gulfstream

Info on Fishing Party Boats in the South Florida Area.
baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: anyone wana go on gulfstream

Post by baseball4life702 »

Just plan to go with us in the next 2-3 weeks and you won't regret it, even these guys that just went said fishing was slow, but that doesn't mean they didn't come back with 20+inch ytails and on a better day theres more than that, triggers,kings,muttons and groupers that sadly can't be kept

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

OK, I am on. A lot better than catching lizards...lol... Also, I need to test my new bottom rod.

Rotation to avoid line tangle... Brilliant idea...I hope everyone does that even in pier...lol
I will be one of those googan but will be happy of learning how to make sandball !!!
Aren't you using 1/8 troll rite jig?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yes I use what is similar to troll rite but it's called yellowtail candy by a-z jigs a local Miami,fl company and in most shops except bass pro I think cuz they have their own company....however I am getting the feeling that a small hook with splitshot weight is better cuz it seems those pulling +10 are using that not the jigs.
As for bottom fishing I wouldn't guarantee much due to time of year but they do pull mutton or 2 and usually a lot of triggers but If it's 15 or less ppl though u can leave a rig on the bottom and go to the sandball line ...U also get to troll on the way out which is a + ... But actually last time a Spanish hog was pulled off the bottom
Basically when there's a light load >=15 ppl you can use the boat to do what you want... And no junk like lizards, grunts, only junk they get is ramoras off the Sharks patrolling the area/ people will pull Bonita on a freelined light knocker/triple hook rig too and throw them on bait table which the ytails love also blue runners come up to end up going down as live bait but just the time of they year bottom fishing is crappy

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

baseball4life702 wrote:Yes I use what is similar to troll rite but it's called yellowtail candy by a-z jigs a local Miami,fl company and in most shops except bass pro I think cuz they have their own company....however I am getting the feeling that a small hook with splitshot weight is better cuz it seems those pulling +10 are using that not the jigs.
As for bottom fishing I wouldn't guarantee much due to time of year but they do pull mutton or 2 and usually a lot of triggers but If it's 15 or less ppl though u can leave a rig on the bottom and go to the sandball line ...U also get to troll on the way out which is a + ... But actually last time a Spanish hog was pulled off the bottom
Basically when there's a light load >=15 ppl you can use the boat to do what you want... And no junk like lizards, grunts, only junk they get is ramoras off the Sharks patrolling the area/ people will pull Bonita on a freelined light knocker/triple hook rig too and throw them on bait table which the ytails love also blue runners come up to end up going down as live bait but just the time of they year bottom fishing is crappy
Have any idea where the spit shot was on the line?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

One guy was using split shot about 6in or less up the line... But actually if I think back the 2 mates that were killing em were using a tiny egg sinker right up to hook as like a knocker rig, but there was also a swivel to a Seaguar blue label 8-10lb leader too but fluff tied me up without swivel so idk if that's important or not... I would just copy (and no offense intended here) what the black guys are doing, I'm pretty sure they are fluffs friends and are mates when he's not working but they murder the tails everytime.
I'm not saying ytail jigs don't work or anything cuz I use em and they work but the ppl like me using them got less tails than the guys that are getting around 20 tails using old school gear like small hook and small sinker so thats gonna be my plan next time.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

baseball4life702 wrote:One guy was using split shot about 6in or less up the line... But actually if I think back the 2 mates that were killing em were using a tiny egg sinker right up to hook as like a knocker rig, but there was also a swivel to a Seaguar blue label 8-10lb leader too but fluff tied me up without swivel so idk if that's important or not... I would just copy (and no offense intended here) what the black guys are doing, I'm pretty sure they are fluffs friends and are mates when he's not working but they murder the tails everytime.
I'm not saying ytail jigs don't work or anything cuz I use em and they work but the ppl like me using them got less tails than the guys that are getting around 20 tails using old school gear like small hook and small sinker so thats gonna be my plan next time.
I make it a point to go on the gulfsteam every month I just been lazy and havent posted the reports I normally catch around 10 11 tails on 12 lbflouro and a jig head.
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

As far as I've done flat line in many places, the flat line method is more complicated than simple bottom fishing... I mean in order to catch a lot of fish...
What makes difference would be how far and deep your line is supposed to be out there. Your jig has to be drifting down as a same speed as sand ball chum.
It is very hard to figure this out unless you fish one place for a long time...

I can copy someone's set up for weight of jig or split shot and test line but will have no idea how far/fast those high catchers release the line, which is the real key.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Kblue its pretty simple.
thing is i dont sandball. I do what they call a scatter throw where you get a hand full of sand chum and oats and throw it so it makes and nice big clould and put your bait right infront then just match the flow of your cloud. Fluff the mate will show you hows it done hes really good with women kids and newbies he will literally take you by the hand if neeed be

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

kblue wrote:As far as I've done flat line in many places, the flat line method is more complicated than simple bottom fishing... I mean in order to catch a lot of fish...
What makes difference would be how far and deep your line is supposed to be out there. Your jig has to be drifting down as a same speed as sand ball chum.
It is very hard to figure this out unless you fish one place for a long time...

I can copy someone's set up for weight of jig or split shot and test line but will have no idea how far/fast those high catchers release the line, which is the real key.
?flatlining is not difficult at all you will get the hang after 2-3 drifts. The sandball takes your jig down to where the tails are and through that process you should be feeding line fast but the sandball will actually pull your line if you don't feed it fast enough, once the sandball is gone if you haven't got a bite by then wich you should have, then you keep slowly feeding line out as the jig will make its way back toward the surface if there is any bit of current.. The most difficult part in my opinion is feeling the bite... And at this time of year bottom fishing is way more complicated than fishing the upper water column but sandballs can also be used to fish the bottom too just using more weight
And yea there scatter too same concept but ur fishing higher in the water than sandball

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

yellowtail fishing is easy, just takes a little getting used to. sand balling is the same principal, let your bait run naturally with the current but don't let too much line out or you can't feel the bite. it's a fun way to fish.

what's so complicated about bottom fishing this time of year?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Miami_Chris wrote:yellowtail fishing is easy, just takes a little getting used to. sand balling is the same principal, let your bait run naturally with the current but don't let too much line out or you can't feel the bite. it's a fun way to fish.

what's so complicated about bottom fishing this time of year?
The fish on the bottom are scarce and we are also in the windiest time of year for holding bottom ...and really it' was just in response to kblue saying that flatline is more complicated than simple bottom fishing, imo bottom fishing is more complicated than free lining but everyone is different.
Let me ask u did u get anything on the bottom on Friday?

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Where do the fish on the bottom go baseball man?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

HJared wrote:Where do the fish on the bottom go baseball man?
I never said they're not there...in my years of fishing, the bottom is better in summer and the upper water column is better in winter.... Alls I said was imo bottom fishing is more complicated in winter because it's harder to find the fish and hold the bottom..
I'd be more than happy for someone to prove me wrong with a boatload of muttons or grouper or grovers or any of your typical bottom fish.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I disagree, but hey, everyone likes to fish differently. I didn't catch much on the bottom, Just a yellowjack, and a yellowtail. The gulfstream is primarily a yellowtail boat, but muttons/grouper roam where the tails roam, but it isn't the primary target.

I actually think winter time is great for bottom fishing as the bigger fish move in shallow, wether it be water temps, or all the bait. I'm far from an expert, but I have found winter time reef fishing to be awesome. Everyone observes and experiences different things :reeling:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Plenty of snapper and grouper around in the winter. Two major differences between summer and now is the fish move in shallower. Two reasos they do colder water temps and the ballyhoo spawn. Second difference is closed season on grouper. Many boats try to avoid fishing good bottom to avoid having to release grouper.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Both of u 100% right, I just don't see any party boats moving to the shallower reefs to find good bottom though which is why I said bottom fishing is tough now. When i am able to get on my family members boat to do some lobstering this time of year Im always seeing schools of mangos and big grouper and some muttons shacked up in 30ft or less but this is a party boat thread and there's no going to shallow water unless the capt. wants to, I haven't been on any that are fishing less than 60ft, except maybe at night occasionally.

Miami_chris i hope you do realize my original statement was not to say bottom fishing can't be done or you shouldn't try this time of year, but it was simply advice to kblue for when he goes on gulfstream that flatlining will be much more productive instead of maybe catching 1-2 fish on the bottom

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

Dang, 53 inch YT. World record. And that must be the shaq's feet in the pic. (tommy
Paying dues; two cents at a time.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

saltydoug wrote:Dang, 53 inch YT. World record. And that must be the shaq's feet in the pic. (tommy
Its gotta be centimeters right?, otherwise it would be a 4.5' foot fish... Nonetheless still a flag lol

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

nice catch and you can tell it's cm's
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

will be going back next week on a weekday with blue if anyone else wants to join

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

HJared wrote:will be going back next week on a weekday with blue if anyone else wants to join
You kno I'm in just let me know what day I'll be free all week

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Looks like Wednesday and Thursday are going to be least windiest days next week, says NNE at 10-7mph an 0% chance of rain, it's after a front blows through thou.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I'm thinking wed. i can't go thursday.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I would also like to go Wed...But I have to check my work... So the wed trip would be 8:30 ~ 4:00, correct?

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

they get back at 5, i get there at 830, they don't really leave until 9ish. let me know blue when you find out from work so i can plan

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

I'm good to go on Wednesday and yea they don't leave till bout 9-9:15 and get back by like 5

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

ok sounds good. i can trade u my blue runners for your yellowtails if u want

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:uplol: funny guy lol I said they taste better than macks not ytail... Anyways I just bought a new new rod for yellowtailin at BPS and some light leader and small hooks so I'm hoping we slay them...
ay u think you could still pick me up this time?, my car insurance doesn't take affect till march so I could drive but it be risky lol I got u on ur gas

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Yes

Return to “Party/Head Boats Info”