Party boats: Do as you're told or choose your own adventure?

Info on Fishing Party Boats in the South Florida Area.
living the dream
Fisher

Party boats: Do as you're told or choose your own adventure?

Post by living the dream »

Is 'proper etiquette' to follow the general directions on a party boat, even if you're not a beginner?

For example, if everyone is waiting around until the boat parks on top of a school of pan size snappers or whatever and then drop baited lines to the bottom, is it obligatory to do that? What if you had a hunch and wanted to chuck a huge popper ~50 yards out, twitch it a bit, and see what happens? Assuming you aren't being dangerous w/ your cast and aren't crossing anyone's line, is that sort of thing frowned upon?

:?:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Party boats: Do as you're told or choose your own advent

Post by crashmister »

Can't speak for all of them, but some boats as long as you're not bothering or risking anyone's safety, or interfering with boat operations, you can pretty much do what you want. I wouldn't do it on a full boat. Some boats don't want you to cast at all. Some boats like Sea leggs will let you troll while their running. All depends on the boat. Helps to get to know the Captain. Regulars tend to get a bit more freedom.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

:stupid:

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

Regaurding "casting"
If they allow, "you", who may be very good, and use caution....what if some person observes you that has never, or does not have the same expeirence as you decides to do the same. YOUR ear, eye or whatever else may be in danger.
I think the most important thing to remember on a party boat is that you are with whatever number of people that may, or may not be equal to your expeirence.
For me, NEVER cast!! If I see you, I tell the Captian....NO MORE!!!!

living the dream
Fisher

Post by living the dream »

Yea, I guess that's another way of asking the question, do party boats allow Noobs to pull back treble hooked lures overhead and around the back of my head and let loose w/ the biggest cast they can muster... I guess that's the other side of the same coin. [BTW, I purged my tackle of trebles long ago, largely for safety reasons]

I ask because I've been intrigued by some other forums that seem to cater to the long range tuna fishermen. After a while I realized they're just party boats w/ beds. And they seem to encourage the choose-your-own-adventure sort of thing. And it occurs to me that a party boat parks on top of schools of bottom fish, there should be some predators lurking around the edges, right? Everyone wants to be on the stern, if I tip toe to the bow w/ a big popper or spoon or jig it might get interesting. Also seems less likely to tangle lines that way.

But if it's a no-no, I'd rather hear it here than there.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Bud I am almost certain this WILL vary from boat to boat! I feel if you ask the captain and tell him exactly as you are saying here he should not have too many issues with it. It is play by ear really! I agree btw in those feeding spots where they go constantly fish are conditioned to react to the sound of the boats engine as a dinner bell, so yeah I would not be surprised to see a few good strikes on a lure as you arrive!

-swordfish

Return to “Party/Head Boats Info”