tips for the mates

Info on Fishing Party Boats in the South Florida Area.
Post Reply
User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

tips for the mates

Post by Xpierrat »

what is the normal tip amount on boats like the Sea Legs for the mate (s)

is anyone planning on going out Monday night?
Rick

User avatar
killula
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by killula »

If they did a good job, and its just me, not me +1, id normally throw them $5, if they did an outstanding job, id throw them $10( sometimes they hook you up with killer fresh bait like a bonito, or throw you a couple smokes, when you supposedly quit, or if your unexperienced and they coach you and help you dehook or tie knots, they deserve a little extra).

If they do a phenominal job and you win the pool, id split the earnings 50/50.

In the end its up to you.

User avatar
mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Pompano Beach

Re: tips for the mates

Post by mmcauliffe »

Same - $5 is my starting point before I even get on the boat. If their friendly, chatty, give me some tips (even though I may already know what their telling me) trying to help me. I had one guy give me a couple of different baits he had off to the side for the "non-tourists". That will get you $10 for sure.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.
Image

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am

Re: tips for the mates

Post by crashmister »

I start at 10.00 and go from there.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by Xpierrat »

Thanks for the imput guys


going to swing by around noon to meet the boat when she comes in to get a better idea on layout and what space you have for gear, spare rods, cooler etc.

Then go out tonight
Rick

User avatar
killula
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by killula »

If my memory serves me right, you need to bring silversides to sea legs. Before you go there tonight, hit up Anglers Bait and tackle and get a few 1/4 ounce yellow tail jig heads, 3 should suffice incase of biteoffs. Get some silversides, a small amount, don't need the large size, unless your planing on sharing bait. And if you really want to get some snaps get a dozen hand selected live shrimp and have rick put them in a plastic bag on ice. Suprisingly they will stay alive most the trip, and you will catch a lot more then your neighbors. The best spots are usually on the stern, especially the corner. Get there early at noon and try to reserve it for tonight. Use a light set up, 15lb is all you will need, and a 20lb flouro leader, scale back to 15 if the bite is off. Good luck.

User avatar
GO4EM
SHARKER
Posts: 2450
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: tips for the mates

Post by GO4EM »

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by Xpierrat »

killula wrote:If my memory serves me right, you need to bring silversides to sea legs. Before you go there tonight, hit up Anglers Bait and tackle and get a few 1/4 ounce yellow tail jig heads, 3 should suffice incase of biteoffs. Get some silversides, a small amount, don't need the large size, unless your planing on sharing bait. And if you really want to get some snaps get a dozen hand selected live shrimp and have rick put them in a plastic bag on ice. Suprisingly they will stay alive most the trip, and you will catch a lot more then your neighbors. The best spots are usually on the stern, especially the corner. Get there early at noon and try to reserve it for tonight. Use a light set up, 15lb is all you will need, and a 20lb flouro leader, scale back to 15 if the bite is off. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips.... had what I needed for the most part and will make a couple small adjustments for the next trip. ( see my other report)
Rick

User avatar
GO4EM
SHARKER
Posts: 2450
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: tips for the mates

Post by GO4EM »

Killula got you on target.

At night I bring:
Spinner 12#
Spinner 15#
Conventional 30# (For Long-leadering or Chicken Rig)
1/16, 1/8, 1/4 Jigs
Silversides
Belly of fresh fish if possible.
A few beverages and a sandwich.
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Polistena
Fisher
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: NJ

Re: tips for the mates

Post by Polistena »

$10 to each mate? So the trip cost around $35 - $40 (4hrs) and and your giving 10 bucks to each mate? 50% tip?? Hmm seems abit excessive to me. I wish I was tipped like that on my job lol.

Plus if you catch a fish, you have to tip teh captain for cleaning it.

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: tips for the mates

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Polistena wrote:$10 to each mate? So the trip cost around $35 - $40 (4hrs) and and your giving 10 bucks to each mate? 50% tip?? Hmm seems abit excessive to me. I wish I was tipped like that on my job lol.

Plus if you catch a fish, you have to tip teh captain for cleaning it.
No, usually $10 total, one mate will collect at the end of the trip and they split it. If you don't want to tip them for cleaning your fish, they will give the whole fish to you and you can take it home and fillet...
Image

island-R
Fisher
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 am

Re: tips for the mates

Post by island-R »

5 dollars..10 if they keep all the googans lines away from mine

User avatar
Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Delray Beach, Fl.
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by Sirsnookalot »

I generally give a 5-10 tip and I feel I'm over tipping. I seldom keep fish, the fish I let the crew have are sold by them, is that not a tip? How much are 2 10# kings worth, $ 40 or more I'd say. The bonita are sold for bonita strips.
I don't go on the boats that often, I go on private boats, but when I do I take exception to the captain fishing off the back of the boat. IMO his job is to put me on fish, not compete with me. These guys have a commercial license, they can keep and sell a lot of fish. they do have their lousy days, that's fishing.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am

Re: tips for the mates

Post by crashmister »

Sirsnookalot wrote:I generally give a 5-10 tip and I feel I'm over tipping. I seldom keep fish, the fish I let the crew have are sold by them, is that not a tip? How much are 2 10# kings worth, $ 40 or more I'd say. The bonita are sold for bonita strips.
I don't go on the boats that often, I go on private boats, but when I do I take exception to the captain fishing off the back of the boat. IMO his job is to put me on fish, not compete with me. These guys have a commercial license, they can keep and sell a lot of fish. they do have their lousy days, that's fishing.
Actually Sir, head boat crews are not allowed to keep anything for sale. A commercial head boat license is not the same as a commercial fishing license. They would also need an SPL to legally sell anything. Operative word being "legally".
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

User avatar
cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 4242
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: tips for the mates

Post by cudaman »

:stupid:
Anything caught in one of those charter boats is illegal to sell even if you have a commercial license. Some people that go on charters sell their fish and that's how they can afford to go on those trips over and over, but it's not legal here in Florida. But as always some day they will bite the dust. My understanding is that if the captain has a license to sell fish he cannot not charter the boat to regular fishermen to sell the fish, he would have to hire a crew to commercial fish and have the proper papers to do so. Now a captain and crew can have the same limits of fish we do, but they are not supposed to sell the fish.

It is proper to give 15 to 20% of the fare's cost as tip to the crew of the boat. They deserve 20% and then some. Also the crew of a boat is not there for personal attention, they are there to make sure the fish are landed and that the boat is clean and clear of obstructions for the safety of the the people fishing. By the way clean doesn't mean all the time simply means before they leave and when they get to the dock, while cleaning any blood spills that may cause any hazard. This is just my $.02 cents I could be wrong. I still give 20% tip or more if I can.

User avatar
Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Delray Beach, Fl.
Contact:

Re: tips for the mates

Post by Sirsnookalot »

If the Capt and crew are not allowed to sell the fish, then what are they doing with them. Many times there are kingfish not taken by the fisherman, and why would the Captain be fishing in the first place, I'm sure it isn't for fun.

Tipping 15-20% has been the standard for as long as I can remember, personally I don't feel more is necessary. Not only is it the Captains job to put you on fish, the crew should be attentive to the customers. Especially during the winter months a large part of a party boat's customers are snowbirds and vacationers, many of which don't even know how to tie a hook on. I think these boats would have a very hard time making a living if it weren't for them. I won't mention boat names, but I have seen some very rude attitudes towards to " amateur anglers", just out to enjoy a few hours on the open water. Most of the people on this site don't really need the crew for all that much, we bring our own equipment and bait.

I don't mean to sound hard and calloused, but if these crew members wanted to make more money they should have selected another line of work, 20% is ample.

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: tips for the mates

Post by fishnfool73 »

I agree that 20 % is more than enough unless the service is outstanding . As far as sounding hard and calloused, not everyone has the oppurtunity for better employment . Though plenty of them would rather scrap by and enjoy their jobs vs making more and hating work. It is their choice but the good ones hustle and make the customers enjoy their time and thus open their wallets.
I agree that some boats seem to go out of their way to make sure people 1 never return to their boat and 2 don't tip them due to bad service. I have meet very few mates and captains in life that I felt went above and beyond. Many down here just do enough to get by and then cry about the lack of tips later. I also agree with you on the crew fishing. I have been on a few boats that do not allow the crew to fish at all.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

User avatar
sepaik
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Hollywood Florida

Re: tips for the mates

Post by sepaik »

Rijkaard wrote:
strizile wrote: I'll tip a waitress in Hooters $5 as example if the service is good and shake her hand if not

Simple.
20$ if she shows me her tits
:uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: Ricky your a trip!!!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply

Return to “Party/Head Boats Info”