Favorite drift boat

Info on Fishing Party Boats in the South Florida Area.
jbuck501
Old Salt

Favorite drift boat

Post by jbuck501 »

I thought I would bring this subject close to the top so people crusing the site would have some recent info.
We have only fished 3 drift boats in the 5 months we have been here. We haved fished all three more then once. Catch My Drift, Flamingo and Sea Legs. I will rate them on a scale of 1 to 10.
Catch My Drift..........-10, drift or anchor, they suck!!!!!!!!!
Flamingo...................6 to 8, great captains and crew, fun to fish with, best are the anchor trips in my opinion. Drift trips tend to be not as good, tourist oriented, not that, that is bad but will not allow you to fish the bottom if you want, everyone must fish the same. My guess is that they do not want people that are not experienced at fishing different ways and having big time tangles. No problem.
Sea Legs..................10+. They fish. Not afraid to take risks to get fish. By that I mean they may steam for a long time to put you on fish. It may not happen, but they try. They are not above movng to different places if nothing is going on. If the kings are not happening that day, they have no problem getting the boat outfitted for bottem fishing. They have even anchored up and fished wrecks on a "drift" trip. You can fish top or bottom if you want, anytime you want. With all the new restrictions that have come about and the not so dependable king bite, they do what they can to get you on fish. Even if that means dropping down 400ft for Tile fish. Captain and crew are all fun to fish with.
None of them ever seem to leave the dock on time though, a point that I need to get over.
I hope this info and others that post behind me will help you decide on a experience in South Florida that you will remember. GOOD LUCK and TIGHT LINES!!!!!

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Favorite drift boat

Post by mmcauliffe »

I haven't been on a local drift/party boat yet but I want to go. This helps, THANK YOU!

You say they don't leave on time, how far behind schedule, on average, would you say they leave. This really erks me. I make damn sure I'm on time so people don't have to wait on me. I expect the same but rarely, if ever, get it.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

mmcauliffe wrote:I haven't been on a local drift/party boat yet but I want to go. This helps, THANK YOU!

You say they don't leave on time, how far behind schedule, on average, would you say they leave. This really erks me. I make damn sure I'm on time so people don't have to wait on me. I expect the same but rarely, if ever, get it.
In general, I found that Sea Legs (my favorite party boat also) generally doesn't leave on time (10-15 minutes late on average), but they also come back a bit later to give you the full time fishing. They have even stayed out a bit longer if they feel it's worth it.
All around, I'd agree 10+.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

Boruchlen wrote:
mmcauliffe wrote:I haven't been on a local drift/party boat yet but I want to go. This helps, THANK YOU!

In general, I found that Sea Legs (my favorite party boat also) generally doesn't leave on time (10-15 minutes late on average), but they also come back a bit later to give you the full time fishing. They have even stayed out a bit longer if they feel it's worth it.
Boruchlen, we fished with you once on the Sea Legs. Rough seas, no fish. You were not feeling up to par. Bummer. I am the guy that has been in the HVAC industry for the las t 30+ years.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

jbuck501 wrote:
Boruchlen wrote:

Boruchlen, we fished with you once on the Sea Legs. Rough seas, no fish. You were not feeling up to par. Bummer. I am the guy that has been in the HVAC industry for the las t 30+ years.
Now I remember. Yup, I was feeling really sea-sick for a change :pukel: . The lack of fish didn't help.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

Quote: Now I remember. Yup, I was feeling really sea-sick for a change . The lack of fish didn't help.

We did end up with somr snapper for dinner on that trip though.
Not to rub it in but we went out the following Saturday, which you had said you may return. We caught 39 kings (one shy of a boat limit) and over 35 bonita in the morning. We decided to go on the afternoon trip and came very close to limiting out the boat on kings with another 30+ bonita. Some nice muttons were caught as well.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

jbuck501 wrote:Quote: Now I remember. Yup, I was feeling really sea-sick for a change . The lack of fish didn't help.

Not to rub it in but we went out the following Saturday, which you had said you may return. We caught 39 kings (one shy of a boat limit) and over 35 bonita in the morning. We decided to go on the afternoon trip and came very close to limiting out the boat on kings with another 30+ bonita. Some nice muttons were caught as well.
I was going to go on the Sunday trip and couldn't make it, Saturdays is a no-no for me. No fishing at all. Glad to hear you had a great run.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

jbuck501 wrote:Quote: Now I remember. Yup, I was feeling really sea-sick for a change . The lack of fish didn't help.

Not trying to stir the pot, but you do realize that if you catch your limits of kings in the morning trip, you can't keep any on the afternoon trip, right?

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:

Not trying to stir the pot, but you do realize that if you catch your limits of kings in the morning trip, you can't keep any on the afternoon trip, right?
We did not keep any of the kings we caught, morning or afternoon. What I ment was the boat came claose to catching a limit. Morning and afternoon.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

jbuck501 wrote:
PhishingPhanatic wrote:

We did not keep any of the kings we caught, morning or afternoon. What I ment was the boat came claose to catching a limit. Morning and afternoon.
:toast:

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Sea Legs
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

sea legs for daytime drift

kelley fleet late night snapper trip - sunday 1am to 7am - something like that. awesome trip
California-Florida fisherman

Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Bi0tic »

I see you are talking about South Florida, but since the title doesn't specify I'd like to weigh-in.

I haven't been on the 3 boats mentioned here, but I have been on several boats in Florida and by far my favorite is the OO (Ocean Obsession) out of Sunrise Marina, Port Canaveral.

The captain and mates are great and work hard to put you on fish. I know it's luck, but two of the last 3 times I was on the boat, my Dad and I caught a couple AJ's, 3 keeper cobia and 3 keeper ARS (2 over 20lbs.) plus a few muttons and countless small ARS, lane snapper, mangroves, black seabass, triggerfish, etc. The middle trip I lost a big grouper/AJ (suspected, hook straightened).

I feel sorry for these guys now that the feds closed down ARS/grouper.
I want to Believe

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

I have to say only been out couple times on them all but Sea Legs is my top choice.

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Post by full-cooler »

SEA LEGS in BROWARD and GULFSTREAM IN KEYS

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

Lady K 10+ (Lantana Bridge) Best drift boat I've ever fished on. I have caught so many quality fish on this boat and it's all because they will "listen" to their customers and not assume that they (captain & crew) know everything.

Flamingo 7 (Ft. Lauderdale) Good captain & mate, but sometimes seem focused on just finding kings and nothing else.

Helen S 5 (Hillsboro Inlet) Sometimes they won't move if the bite is off. They tend to want to save gas or something. They seem to concentrate on the kings for the tourists.
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Sealeggs is my new fav drift boat.

bottom line they go out to catch fish. if fish aint bitting there moving to find fish.

even the setup of the boat is pure fishing. no snack counter just a cabin with rods and tackle in it.

I used to fish CMD alot but after the last trip I was so turned off. so thank you CMD for pushing me towards sealeggs!
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

gdm phil wrote:Sealeggs is my new fav drift boat.

bottom line they go out to catch fish. if fish aint bitting there moving to find fish.

even the setup of the boat is pure fishing. no snack counter just a cabin with rods and tackle in it.

I used to fish CMD alot but after the last trip I was so turned off. so thank you CMD for pushing me towards sealeggs!
That's great to hear another boatless joining the sea legs.

mannyr
Weekend Warrior

Post by mannyr »

What do you guys usually bring on the sea legs as far as gear goes

Gotta Catch'm Gotta Fry'm

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

mannyr wrote:What do you guys usually bring on the sea legs as far as gear goes
Really depends on what type of trip your doing, if its a morning trip I'll bring a spinning rod with 20lb line for kings. I use 1-2oz jigs with 2 trail hooks 2 - 3ft of 30 - 60lb Fluoro. Also for morning trip I bring a rod setup for bottom fishing 80ft + water normally setup with either a mutton setup or chicken rig with 10oz weight. Also can be a good idea to have a rod setup with a free line hook in case any dolphin show up.

Evening trips, I normally bring a light rod 10-20lb and my stratic 4000 with 12lb line for flat-lining jig heads. Also bring a spinning rod which I use with 1 - 2oz egg sinkers in case the flat lining bite is dead.

Hope this helps.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

phino wrote:doesn't sea legs provide tackle and gear for you as part of the payment?
ive never been but i thought all head boats provide for customers.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

fixed80 wrote:
phino wrote:doesn't sea legs provide tackle and gear for you as part of the payment?
ive never been but i thought all head boats provide for customers.
They do. You have to rent it seprately. It's usually not included in the trip price. Rigs, hooks, weights, bait swivels,ect. Pretty much are included on the boats. Lure's and jig's are not.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

I would bring your own gear, unless you like using broomsticks to haul in 5 lb fish.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Sea Legs is definately the best drift boat by far!
http://deepseafishingsealegs.com
The $5 dollor coupon is : http://deepseafishingsealegs.com/images ... 2_kzyi.jpg

You can also fish in the afternoon trip M-F for just $25. They throw in the rod and reel and of course of the bait and tackle.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

fitzroy97
Fisher

Post by fitzroy97 »

Have fished all 3 from we are from Ohio. Come to Ft lauderdale couple times a year. 2 sons 21 and 19 just got back they fished sea legs 3 weeks ago . Caught trigger. Im coming down last week of March.
Have to say Sea Legs is the best

Surge101
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Surge101 »

sepaik wrote:Sea Legs is definately the best drift boat by far!
http://deepseafishingsealegs.com
The $5 dollor coupon is : http://deepseafishingsealegs.com/images ... 2_kzyi.jpg

You can also fish in the afternoon trip M-F for just $25. They throw in the rod and reel and of course of the bait and tackle.
$25? Really? Is that price always running? Don't see anything about that on their website.

Return to “Party/Head Boats Info”