In search of the perfect sunset! chapter 2

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
dfb
Fisher

In search of the perfect sunset! chapter 2

Post by dfb »

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:09 pm Post subject: In search of the perfect sunset! chapter 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So back to where I left off. 18 degrees in Fairbanks 88+ sunny skies forecasted in Florida.. Gots to stay!
We had found a pretty good sunset but I knew there had to be something better out there. I coached my wife a pinch and she chose for us to go to Sanibel Island so she could go shelling. Guess what, Shells come from the ocean and the fish were stacked up along the Shore. There was not only bird balls, but a bird band that ran from access #3 to around the corner past the rocks north of access #7.
We stayed at the Blue Dolphin at the rate of 99.00 walk in price. Guess this is their off season. If I go back during their on season I'm going to take a gun! there was an entire food chain stacked on the beach all the way up to 200lb tarpon. All within casting range. I saw up to 20 tarpon out of the water at the same time. Now we arrived the evening of October 10th about 6:00pm. I got out to the water about 6:15. Not a sole fishing in sight. Very few beach combers. My first cast with live bait, (picked up at the Bait Box as we entered Island), produced a strike at my bobber by a 100lb+ tarpon. Recovering from that explosion that took place 75 ' away, I let the bait settle back to drifting. Within 1 minute the bobber disappeared and I eased back tension on my 29.00 dollar K-mart special loaded with 280 yards of 50lb power-pro with 4' of 40 lb fluorocarbon leader attached to a pin fish by way of a 4/0 semi circle hook, When the tension snugged up just right I ripped the lips off my opponent. Or should I say I pissed off a Tarpon. The water exploded with a 40 - 50 lb tarpon spending more time out of the water than in it! YADDA, YADDA,YADDA. Eventually, JUST as the sun set, I landed the little package of dynamite. My wife took my picture just as the sun was touching the Gulf waters off to the west. Now THAT"S A SUNSET TO REMEMBER!! I got to go now , but I will try to get back at tell you the rest of my stories from this little Florida shore excursion.... It gets better!! Try to wright chapter 3 later.
dfb
Thanks again for the tips

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”