pond tarpon

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
Capt. Wallace
Fisher

pond tarpon

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Well when hurricane dennis came through a few years ago we got an extreme storm surge in the indian pass area. One of my buddies had a great crystal clear pond on his land and the storm surge was 4 foot deep under his house. as he was walking around picking up things he didnt want to float away he saw his catfish swimming around under his house. So the pond had obviosly been filled with the storm surge. Acouple months go by and he is seeing what appears to be baby tarpon in his now brackish pond. Thats impossible according to all the scientist who say tarpon do not reproduce in our area. but sure enough thats what they are. He continually put live baits in the pond to keep them fed. One of his buddies charterd me one day and the fishing was real slow so we went to his pond with some left over baits and sure enough I jumped one and he spit the hook at this point the tarpons ranged from 1-10lbs. The one I jumped about 6lbs and the guy I took fishing caught one very small.

my friend has continually caught 2-3 inch tarpon out of ditchs getting food for his "pets" in the pond.

Moral of the story the scientist with college edumacations aren't always right so if you think you can prove something different always try.

I have a pic but just cant seem to load it into the post???? a little help
Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter.

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

awesome !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

bill_
Fisher

Re: pond tarpon

Post by bill_ »

The tiny tarpon sound cool. I'd love to see a picture.

In Miami, there used to be tarpon in ponds.
There used to be a c shaped pond on Virginia Key in Miami. There were baby tarpon in it, up to 3' long. They would bite Creek Chub Darters, the yellow ones with the red and black spots.
Also at Crandon Park Zoo, the little pond in the petting zoo had even smaller tarpon in it. When a leaf would fall out of a tree, they'd all rush over to it. The big pond at the zoo had full grown tarpon and barracudas.
I used to hear about a golf course that had tarpon in it's ponds.

Snapper Creek had bazillions of 1' to 4' tarpon. I think they got in when the dam was open.
Osceola Pond at UM had full grown ones. There were also mullet,mojarra, barracuda, and snook there.

I've read that daisy chaining is thought to be mating behavior, but in Snapper Creek, me and a friend once saw 4 or 5 1' tarpon swimming in a circle around where a weed bent over and touched the water. I doubt tarpon that small are breeding age.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

bill_ wrote:The tiny tarpon sound cool. I'd love to see a picture.

There used to be a c shaped pond on Virginia Key in Miami. There were baby tarpon in it, up to 3' long. They would bite Creek Chub Darters, the yellow ones with the red and black spots.
Also at Crandon Park Zoo, the little pond in the petting zoo had even smaller tarpon in it. When a leaf would fall out of a tree, they'd all rush over to it. The big pond at the zoo had full grown tarpon and barracudas.

Snapper Creek had bazillions of 1' to 4' tarpon. I think they got in when the dam was open.
Osceola Pond at UM had full grown ones. There were also mullet,mojarra, barracuda, and snook there.

I've read that daisy chaining is thought to be mating behavior, but in Snapper Creek, me and a friend once saw 4 or 5 1' tarpon swimming in a circle around where a weed bent over and touched the water. I doubt tarpon that small are breeding age.
Lake Osceola at UM still has all of those fish, as well as a bunch of bruiser 20-30 lb jacks that cruise around crashing on the mullet.

offtrackk
Old Salt

Post by offtrackk »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
bill_ wrote:The tiny tarpon sound cool. I'd love to see a picture.

Lake Osceola at UM still has all of those fish, as well as a bunch of bruiser 20-30 lb jacks that cruise around crashing on the mullet.

WERE LAKE OCEOLA???? :batman:
team BLACKFIN TUNA!!!!!!

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”