Tourist on the Reward Head Boat.

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Tourist on the Reward Head Boat.

Post by Old School »

I was fishing on the Reward head boat out of Pier 5 many years ago in winter. We were drift fishing and it was very slow. I was chatting up a pretty tourist next to me that was holding a large spinning reel upside down that was probably spooled with 20 lb test mono. She obliviously did not have a clue what she was doing fishing wise, but was a very friendly lady, when all of a sudden here reel started screaming. The fish peeled off over 150 yd's of line on the first run and then stopped for a rest. She tried to hand me the rod but i told her she could do it. About this time the captain wanted to move the boat, so the mate came over and took the rod from her and proclaimed "You snagged the bottom" and started to tighten the drag to bust the line. I then interjected and told him in no certain terms that she hooked a large fish and it wasn't a grouper, but possibly a shark had it by now, and asked for the rod. He did not relinquish the rod but acquiesced too my demands and loosened the drag a bit. Then at this exact moment the fish took another long run. About 20 minutes later a very decent king of 35 lb plus hit the deck.. The tourist attempted to give me the fish but i declined and told her to keep it and have the hotel cook it up for her. Then i noticed she was fishing with a chicken rig, so we surmised that the king probably grabbed a fish that got hooked on that rig. That king was the largest and best fish landed that day.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Tourist on the Reward Head Boat.

Post by permitchaser »

She was very lucky if she didn't had wire,I have seen kings get caught bottom fishing.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

She was lucky because of him insisting a fish is on cuz the mate could have not cared less.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

STRIZ wrote:She was lucky because of him insisting a fish is on cuz the mate could have not cared less.
Yup she got lucky all in all,what up Ron it's cold as f-- over here I can imagine over there .

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Well the roofs and windows were frozen Thursday lol

Tomorrow it will be colder. Winter is showing up and minus 10 to minus 15 fahrenheit will happen latest in Jan
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

ive caught a few kings on chicken rigs while grunt fishing
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

One night I was fishing with the old man he caught two kings with a gog cut in half bottom fishing with wire ,he also told Me at tugas he have caught them with chicken rig a wire with ballyhoo.i have caught kings yellow tailing no wire ,I also caught my only wahoo bottom fishing for mutton and grouper on a live gog no wire.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

no freaking way you mean to say a wahoo ate a live gog i dont believe that for a second
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

:elephant: e

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”