Jumping Permit

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Jumping Permit

Post by islandflyfisher »

This weekend, my dad hooked a permit on fly. It ran, and was in the backing very quickly. Then, out of no where, it jumped! We figured it was tail-wrapped or there was a shark after it. A few seconds later, as we got closer to it, it jumped again. We could also clearly see that it wasn't tail-wrapped. While we where poling close, the fish swam sideways for a few seconds, and it jumped again! We got closer, and no shark. The water was 2-3 feet deep, so it wasn't jumping because it got shallow all of a sudden. The fish weighed in at 10 1/4 lbs, and was my dad's 64th on fly.

This definately ranks among the most bizarre things I have seen while fishing, and may be the most bizarre. I have heard of "skipping" pompano, but permit just don't jump.

islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Re: Jumping Permit

Thanks. We always release permit. It was a really cool bite too. The fly landed, and the fish came up to the surface, with part of its back and tail out of the water to slurp it up.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Im with you on that Ricky.

islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Rijkaard wrote: when I listen to these stories I start thinking permits should be protected more, they live only in florida and bahamas waters and the 11" limit is ridicolous, this should be another rule to get changed, imo a 24" limit and 1 fish per day should be reasonable, what you think?
I agree. The limits are ridiculous - the same limits as pompano, but permit grow to be 40+ lbs.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

The limits are fine . You can only keep one ''permit'' Show me a way to educate the masses on how to tell the difference between a pompano and a permit other than size. You are lucky most anglers can tell the difference between a jack crevelle and a pompano let alone a pompano and a permit. Permit numbers are fine, I see them by the dozens on the bridges down south. Why people have such a fish crush on them is beyond me. I see as many permit now as I did 20 years ago.
Nice story by the way.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Nice story Islandflyfisher. Catching permit on fly is nerve wrecking and changeling. That is a great accomplishment that your father has caught that many on fly. I never had much luck catching them on fly. You have to spend a lot of time on the water hunting them.

Ricky, Jack Crevelle does not taste good.

Permit one was just yummy. My first Permit 33"

Permit two was even yummier. My largest Permit 35"

I do not release Permit that is legal size. It is my duty as a angler to eat them. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Exactly, it is difficult to tell a juvi permit and a pompano apart if you don't know what you're looking for. That's why you can only keep one permit over 20". And I agree, there's not much better then some blackened permit fingers.

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

Nice permit. But I know where you are. I recognize the seagul in the second picture.lol.

I agree with all that was said.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

FriskyMullet wrote:Nice permit. But I know where you are. I recognize the seagul in the second picture.lol.

I agree with all that was said.
Answer to your banner. Stick the bud in the mouth and smoke it out of it ass. You ass kisser. :D

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

Yo seem to have some experiance in the matter might I suggest that you make a demonstration. Show us all how you smoke mullets out the azz. :shock: :lol:

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

Do I smell a photoshop comming on.... maybe.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

FriskyMullet wrote:Yo seem to have some experiance in the matter might I suggest that you make a demonstration. Show us all how you smoke mullets out the azz. :shock: :lol:
Im not that good in photoshop. :D

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

LOL maybe later I give it whirl.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Yes Ricky that' pompano and permit combined. How many limits of permit have you seen that all 6 , 11 to 20 inch were permit?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Rijkaard wrote:funny how you say it's hard to tell a pompano from a permit (easiest thing in the world...), but then you have different size and bag limit between mangroves and cuberas and different size limit between lesser and greater aj...

1 permit over 20" is fine, is the 6 bag limit between 11" and 20" that is just ridicolous
For me Ill only keep one permit over 20". The little ones Ill throw back to allow them to grow up. Pompano I really dont fish for much. I only keep a few for my girl and my mom. They seem to like them a lot.

islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

fishnfool73 wrote:The limits are fine . You can only keep one ''permit'' Show me a way to educate the masses on how to tell the difference between a pompano and a permit other than size. You are lucky most anglers can tell the difference between a jack crevelle and a pompano let alone a pompano and a permit. Permit numbers are fine, I see them by the dozens on the bridges down south. Why people have such a fish crush on them is beyond me. I see as many permit now as I did 20 years ago.
Nice story by the way.
I definately have a bias. Permit are my favorite fish to catch. :D

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Mine as well our difference being I like to eat them as well.... :lol:

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

Permit taste really good although the meat can be tough when they get over 30pds. I have never seen one jump when hooked at the pier, but off the beach I have seen a couple hooked fish jump multiple times during the fight. The fish at this spot on the beach seem to have no idea whats going on and usually run right up to the beach and almost beach themselves before turning around and making another run.
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”