total rip off charter boat

If you experience any problems registering please email info@boatlessfishing.com , I will fix issue ASAP, you should be activated with in 24 hours.
kblue
SHARKER

total rip off charter boat

Post by kblue »

Last week, a friend of mine who I know doesn't fish at all called me to ask if I could join his half day fishing trip off Bal Harbour.
It turned out that he had a visitor who wanted to go fishing for vacation. And booking was already done and there were some free spots.
Of course, I said yes as it was free fishing trip for me. But he didn't remember the name of boat. I couldn't check anything in advance.

Anyway, on fishing day, I showed up Bal Harbour an hour before as usual. I checked the rate. It was $700 for a half day and $1100 for a full day.
The name boat happened to be called Free Spool, which was $650 for a half day (8 ~ 12). so $50 cheaper than others.

Make a long story short. The boat has one captain and two mates.
It left around 8:00. It spent more than an hour to catch live baits with chum.(I also help them to catch bait).
We ended up catching two pin fish and about five pilchards for more than an hour.

And then it went out to Haulover inlet. Anchor dropped for 40ft water for free line fishing with leftover chum from bait fish catch.
One mate caught a grunt. No action. And they pulled anchor.

And they went further south to some spots about 130 ft water. To my surprise, anchor dropped but didn't hold the bottom.
They pulled it and dropped it to another spot. They set up four bottom rods with live baits we caught. And the guy gave me a vertical jig.
I was like those amber jacks are not there any more but I didn't want to disappoint my friend so that I did vertical jigging.
In about 30 min, I saw anchor line going into stern of the boat, which mean all bottom lines would be tangled by anchor line.
Captain asked two mates all lines up. And we took off again.

For this time, we did trolling with 6 rods ( two rods for each outrigger and two rod on stern).
They used cut mackerel strip while my cut feeling telling we had to use ballyhoo rigs.
We trolled about an hour. No action. What so ever.
And we hit a shower storm. That's it. They called it a day and the boat made back to dock 12 PM sharp.
In whole trip, one grunt was caught. Two mates did more fishing than anyone else.

In whole trip, I was speechless. It was a planned "crime" from the beginning.
My half day was completely ruined but I didn't want to ruin some's vacation. (The visitor who paid the trip didn't seem pissed off.)
I told my friend two things, "we don't always catch fish but most day, we catch more than this boat" and "if there is next time, please let me book a fishing boat for you".

I was just wondering how these guys manage charter boat business...

Well, I figured that out immediately when I saw the visitor tipped $100 to mates. ( one grunt cost $750. :cheers: )

-Kblue

kblue
SHARKER

Re: total rip off charter boat

Post by kblue »

Come to think of it. Why does anyone name a boat free spool :nilly:

That's another great name for charter boat.

But I'd rather have free spool than towed away :drunk: :cyclopsani: :clown:

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Sheeeesh you dont know what you are missing with MOST TOWED aka 15st taxi.

Insider joke
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

an old timer joke?

Return to “User Help for BF Forums and Rule of use”