Venice March 11-12

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
killula
KING MACKEREL

Venice March 11-12

Post by killula »

Venice action is hot, the tuna bite is getting better and better every day and will probably continue till November. I had a small window of opportunity during spring break and made a trip with Ryan Dean to Venice, on a friends boat.

Our plan was to catch some Yellowfin Tunas and Amber Jacks before returning home, the trip was a success

I caught my first Yellowfin, not a bruiser by any means but a solid 40lb fish. We had 6 yellowfin up to 55lbs on Sat., trolling pink Mirrolures, Islanders/Ballyhoo, pink Yo-zuri Bonita's, and sightcasting with frenzy Poppers. Suprisingly the best producer for the trips was a 20lb class spinning rod, and a light 20lb trolling rod spooled with 40lb mono on a 4/0 penn senator. My guess was the whippy action made the presentation of the lures more appealing, however made the fights last longer then expected. Very suprised to see the spinning rod land 30-35lb tunas in 2 mins... :nilly:

Sat we went 6 for 8 on YF, on Sun we went 1 for 2 on YF, then the weather picked up and made fishing nearly impossible on our small boat.

Special thanks goes to Mike Ellis for the helpful tips, can't wait till July to fish onboard the Relentless, and Todd Stephens for your generous hospitality at the fish camp, and your invitation to fish Venice's world-class fishery.

David

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Venice March 11-12

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice report David, glad to see you got some tuna after your last trip.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

good report killula.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Best part of the whole trip was it costed me just under $300 to do the whole trip, including everything. Its one of the few trips that is actually good for the wallet.

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”