Okracoke Island Surf Fishing

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Okracoke Island Surf Fishing

Post by Baitfish »

I'm headed to OINC from Aug. 27 to Sept 6. Any reports or suggestions on good surf fishing spots would be welcome. Was there about 4 years ago and fished the channel on the southern tip. Had a great time with the blues.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death, It's much more important than that.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Okracoke Island Surf Fishing

Post by Baitfish »

I was hoping to get some first hand intel on Ocracoke, but alas, no posts. For anyone interested in the area, here's what I've found to date.

For some great pics of current catches and information on all thing fishing in Ocracoke, check out Tradewinds Bait & Tackle.
http://www.fishtradewinds.com/

One of the most important things to be up to date on are the beach closures. Violating one is no joke and will result in a hefty fine. This link to The Island Free Press has the latest reports and Google Earth maps of all closures.
http://islandfreepress.org/CatBeachAccessIssues.html

My brother happens to be there this week and I'll pass on any fishing reports I get and post while I'm there later this week. So far, he said the bait is good and finger mullet and shrimp are easy to come by in the creeks.

If any one else has been fishing Ocracoke or the rest of the Outer Banks, I'd like to hear from you.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Okracoke Island Surf Fishing

Post by Baitfish »

Well, this trip was a bust. On arrival, the surf and currents were pretty bad due to Danielle and the surf fishing was a failure. Fishing on the sound side was decent with plenty of croakers, speckled trout and blues.

Wednesday was the mandatory evacuation for Earl and that was the end of the trip to OINC. Ended up in Kure Beach south of Wilmington and got in three more days of fishing prior to the return flight. Again, the hurricanes had the surf at about 6 feet. The fishing was slow but consistently picked up 1-2 hours before sunset. There was a mix of pompano, blues and grunts. They were mostly on the small side with a few keepers. The pompano were especially of the micro variety.

Pound for pound, it was positively the most expensive fish ever consumed. Rough estimates put the catch at about $1000 per pound. :shock: At least I had an excuse to buy a new surf rod.

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”