Tybee Island 9/12

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
fishhunters
Fisher

Tybee Island 9/12

Post by fishhunters »

Took the family up to Tybee in search of the elusive Pompano. Water Temp was 77 degrees (yes, I use a pool themometer). Arrived near dead low tide about 8:30am. Called it quits at 12:30, most of the incoming. Wanted to bring my own bait from my local B&T but couldn't fit all the luggage and all my gear, so the full size cooler had to stay home. Got some frozen shrimp and squid from a convenience store on the Island.

Used a spread of four rods 11' and 10'6 with conventional reels (BY and 525) 10' with a spinner and 7' with a spinner for the kids to use. Bite started with small rays. Was wondering if this had been a bad idea and if it were just going to be rays might have to cut it short.

Then things heated up and the chompers went wild, even caught them two at a time on double bottom rigs. The good news is that Pompano just under slot were in the area. In about two weeks the big boys should be all over that beach.

Final tally was 6 rays, 13 blues, 1 slot red, 1 lady fish, 2 whiting and 5 juvi pomps.

Need about 3-4 degree drop in water temp. Gonna spend the week prepping gear and bait. Plan to hit Ft. Clinch Sat morning. Then a week later chase the mullet run in Melbourne and see where the Pomps are (maybe hit Tybee again). Its on!

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Tybee Island 9/12

Post by JDL »

Sounds like a good day :toast:
Image Image Image

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”