Landing Fish off bridges and piers

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
fishman
Site Admin

Really Depends

Post by fishman »

It really depends on the size of the fish and type, I would only trust 17 with a maybe 5 or 6 lb fish and its not the line I would worry about at this point, it would be your leader, with the fight and him maybe knawing on it or fraying it, you will lose the fish more than you get. Up the leader, it will have and effect on amount of hits but not to bad.

I flip Snook at about the 6 to 9 lb range on a spinner with 15 and 17 and it works good but I would not do a snapper.
The circle hooks I use with Snook and the fact I am holding the rod make for a better hook and is almost perfect everytime with the circle, so the fray factor is not there so much.

Safest is to always Gaff or net when in doubt.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

No

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

No, there is no reason to gaff the fish because you can flip a 20 inch Fish on 10 lb test and thats a keeper snapper.

Gaffs are only for fish you can't flip and in the case of a restricted species fish with a size limit don't gaff it unless your sure its a keeper.

"When in Doubt NET IT"
When you stick the fish you choose to keep it, so makes sure it is LEGAL

Some fish you should not gaff , Tarpon, Snook if you gaff a keeper snook you may still be in trouble with Florida there is a legal grey area about snagging or useing multiple barbed hooks so know what you can gaff.

I am not a Lawyer so you should consult the Florida Wildlife Commission FWC for Florida State Law.

Return to “Tackle Help”