What setup do you use when bottom fishing?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

What setup do you use when bottom fishing?

Post by james380 »

Personally i use about 2 - 2 1/2 feet of mono leader with a 4.0 circle hook. Can't remember the weight size. My real question is where do you place your sinker? On the bottom of the line or above the leader(i use this way)? I was thinking yesterday when I wasn't noticing any hits on my bottom lines, but was losing bait that i'm not seeing anything because the weight will get locked up in the rocks or is just too heavy and doesn't allow the hit to go up the line? Obviously this would just be for the smaller hit, but all the same i'd rather catch something small then nothing at all. With the weight on the bottom of the line that should allow you to feel any tap on the line.. correct?

Let me know what yall use.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

james380

Re: What setup do you use when bottom fishing?

Post by james380 »

Sharkman954 wrote:http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3911

Let me know if the link works!I think that most of use this ring shown above.The hook size i use will vary.It depends on what i am fishin for.I use a 2/0 circle hooks from owner ssw style.I have caught just about every fish (pier wise) on that hook.
Thanks. That's exactly what i needed.
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Rijkaard wrote:I'm not an expert, but I had some nice fish on my setup so, if it works for me....
I usually slide the sinker (bank or egg) on the main line (20 to 30 pounds) then a bead and a swivel (the bead will protect the knot from the sinker hits), on the other side of the swivel I attach 2-3 feet of mono or fluoro leader (40 to 60 pounds) according to water clarity and then the hook (I use jhooks 1/0 to 3/0 for snappers and groupers). When I cast I just let the line drop and stop it when it hits the water so it goes in tension by itself, if you reel in slightly when the line is on the bottom you'll probably get the reef every time. Check bait once in a while (I can say every 15-20 minutes) and crank it fast to avoid snags on the bottom; to feel small taps too you'll have to hold the rod in your hands. Others tie the sinker to the swivel with a short leader (10-15 pounds), in this way if you snag the sinker you won't probably lose all the rig.
This is my way of doing, others will give you better tips :wink:
You do it exactly like i do except i don't use the bead and i also don't hold the rod in my hands. I guess i'm greedy with two rods in the water and another rod throwing lures.
- Charlton Heston

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

If you just want to catch your boy some fish try a chicken rig basically a pompano rig tied with j or circle hooks bait with shrimp or squid. Alot of people use it out there for croakers or sand perch two hooks on dropper knots tied about the weight. You can feel every tap or nibble. A good overall rig to just mess around with some grunts, or whatever.

james380

Post by james380 »

fishnfool73 wrote:If you just want to catch your boy some fish try a chicken rig basically a pompano rig tied with j or circle hooks bait with shrimp or squid. Alot of people use it out there for croakers or sand perch two hooks on dropper knots tied about the weight. You can feel every tap or nibble. A good overall rig to just mess around with some grunts, or whatever.
That's a great idea. He's always complaining because i wont let him wander off with a rod and cross everyones lines. Yo be one smart sum ah gun.
- Charlton Heston

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

james380, you should feel those taps if you are using a sliding sinker rig cause the sinker isnt tied to your line so when a fish hits your bait, the line slides through the sinker and that is transmitted up the line to your rod much better than if your sinker is "rigid".I find that this is the best rig that i use cause it is more sensitive and when a fish picks up your bait, it is more likely to swallow it because it doesnt feel the resistance of the sinker.One problem i have with this rig is that sometimes the two lines(the leader & the line down to the sinker) get tangled and it ruins the way the rig works which is why you dont wanna make the line down to the sinker too long.when i detangle it i find that the lines in the area of the swivel and the bead are all kinked up and bend at wierd angles. To solve this i either stretch out the lines to straighten them out or if its really bad, i just cut them off and retie.if you are using this rig and you arent feeling any bites, youre probably tangled and thats what you have to do.

hope this helps,
njp32

james380

Post by james380 »

njp32 wrote:james380, you should feel those taps if you are using a sliding sinker rig cause the sinker isnt tied to your line so when a fish hits your bait, the line slides through the sinker and that is transmitted up the line to your rod much better than if your sinker is "rigid".I find that this is the best rig that i use cause it is more sensitive and when a fish picks up your bait, it is more likely to swallow it because it doesnt feel the resistance of the sinker.One problem i have with this rig is that sometimes the two lines(the leader & the line down to the sinker) get tangled and it ruins the way the rig works which is why you dont wanna make the line down to the sinker too long.when i detangle it i find that the lines in the area of the swivel and the bead are all kinked up and bend at wierd angles. To solve this i either stretch out the lines to straighten them out or if its really bad, i just cut them off and retie.if you are using this rig and you arent feeling any bites, youre probably tangled and thats what you have to do.

hope this helps,
njp32
Ok that makes sense then. I don't use the bead which protects the swivel from the sinker. I tend to use sinkers that sit over the swivel and tend to become stuck. So if I use the bead then that should solve that problem and allow me to feel the hits. It's funny how something so minor can cause such a problem. Wonder how many fish i've missed because of lak of thought. Thanks.
- Charlton Heston

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

The bead keeps the sinker from banging on the knot which could weaken it in a prolonged fight.

Return to “Tackle Help”