Fins braid, anyone using it?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Fins braid, anyone using it?

Post by Miamipescador »

After watching some Addictive fishing videos, this guy has got me sold on 2 things: The new Wright & Mcgill rods which are beautiful, and fins braided line.

Im thinking of getting a Cabo 30/40 with a W&M 7'6-7'9 for live baiting..

But anyways back to the braid topic.
This braid is very unique as they have some different styles to them... one of them being the shock absorbing line which is what i am interested in.

Being a boatless fisherman braid really has its advantages, and the main one for me is line diameter and castability because i want to be able to put more line on smaller reels and cast as far as i can.

This braid is supposed to have upto a 10 pct stretch which i would think is awesome for any type of live baiting and for snapper/grouper. I know i have pulled many hooks to snappers just because i usually run braid-fluoro(which doesnt have much stretch).
I would also consider this good for hard hitting fish such as macs, tarpon, and snook using live bait.

Im sure that with this line having some stretch to it it has its downsides as well. It has a bit of a thicker diameter than their usual 4 strand spectra because it uses a strand of dacron in it to give it the stretch, even being a bigger diameter its alot smaller than mono.

So to you guys that use this or have used it, what are your thoughts on this braid, thanks!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Fins braid, anyone using it?

Post by Green Tide »

i saw that addictive fishing guy at one of those fs spring fishing seminars last year. he was really talking up the streching braid. it sounded like some good stuff that would help when a fish is running strongly away from you.
are those rods from the west coast? if so you have to consider the warrenty process.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I actually have fins braid spooled on a couple of my rods including the backing on my fly rod, it is a decent line for sure and is strong. the only bad thing that happened to mje using it was that some mysterious knot formed on the spool from that line which I was unaware of, then soon enough when a large fish at john lloyd park struck my bait very hard it pulled out line till the knot stopped it, fish kept pulling and it broke.since that incident I have had mixed feelings about it.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

You should see the video RARE posted on fly fishing. It would show how one guy took care of that problem.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Yea John that video was insane glad they landed that permit!!..

Captain Blair Wiggins! Great cpt love his shows as well.

As far as the Braid goes, I'd say yes Fins is a great brand along with PowerPro which he regularly uses as well. In terms of Braid Brand that's one aspect on its own and just like everything else including Mono Line, Brands of Rods and Reels etc.

I think you should concentrate more on whether to use Braid vs. Mono, Pro's and Con's before taking Brands into consideration.

Look at your fishing world and examine what types of conditions you regularly fish in and so on to help you determine which is right. I on one hand am a bridge fisherman so I never usually turn to Braid unless I am fishing somewhere I have no obstructions that have a high chance of me running into.

Like I stated, Pro's and Con's but just for starters I'll give my thoughts on Braid first.
-Virtually no Memory on Line which is good
-When Currents running Hard there's less drag on the line because of Diameter therefore you don't need as much a heavier sinker to hold bottom as you would with Mono
-Smaller diameter so you can put more on the spool
-Some people will fish with a tighter drag than Mono but the stretch is not much or any at all sometimes therefore when you try and muscle a fish you can result in a lot of pulled hooks
-Casting distance
-Not very abrassive resistance in my eyes, thats why I mentioned structures
-Has to be spooled correctly and also you run into line digging into the spool when you are using a smaller lb test and have the drag set tight, if its not spooled correctly and you apply pressure it can dig into it

MONOFILAMENT
Basics but you have
-Stretch factors and absorbs the shock
-Abrassive Resistant so the line can take a beating
-More affordable
-Better for underwater visibility
And it keeps on going on for both man. But thats just to give you an idea. As far as the Rods go check them out before purchasing them if you really do consider and test em' out.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Which fly fishing video by rare? Can you post it somewhere or where can I find it, thanks
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Look at nelson on the prowl!

Return to “Tackle Help”