Penn 114H or 6/0 Size Reel?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Penn 114H or 6/0 Size Reel?

Post by SnookMook »

I put this up in General Chatter too, cause I'm looking for the most response.

How many of you guys own or use a 6/0 size reel like a Penn 114H?

If so how often do you use them and what do you use them for.? I'm staring to get into some offshore fishing and after a talk with Tom the other night, shark fishing sounds like it could be of interest to me as well as I've been looking for something new to pursue.

What do you guys use a reel like this for. Is a reel like the Penn 114H or a similar size 6/0 big enough for sharking?

I brought in a eight foot Bull shark in last year on a 4/0 size reel, but it was a battle for sure. I'm thinking the 6/0 might be better or do you guys go even bigger?
Last edited by SnookMook on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"May your lines be tight and your shake off's and break off's memorable."

http://forshorefishing.theledger.com/

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Penn 114H or 6/0 Size Reel?

Post by fishnfool73 »

The 6/0 with some braid backing should handle most sharks you hook overthere from the beach. The big difference IMHO on the bridges in the Keys is that smoking current. I have seen a lot of nice sharks landed on here with a 6/0 . That being said you may hook some you just can't stop on it. Hey those make the best stories anyways.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

ddratler
Old Salt

Re: Penn 114H or 6/0 Size Reel?

Post by ddratler »

i have a 6/0 on a 9ft crowder rod, i use it to freeline out anything from blue runners to lady fish, and have caught on it big baracuda, tarpon, and sharks up to 300lbs (could definitely handle bigger)
i also have used it to fish for summertime snook at juno pier off the bottom, after not being able to land one with a 3/0 and 50lb test, with the 6/0 i thought after hooking one i would rip the snooks mouth off so i just gave up
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

Return to “Tackle Help”