2013 Mullet & Fall Run South Florida Area Reports--RIP Zebco

This area is by invitation ONLY --- Ask me if your not able to view
released
Weekend Warrior

Re: 2013 Mullet & Fall Run South Florida Area Reports--RIP Z

Post by released »

No pods Sunday AM off Ft Lauderdale. Need that NE blow..

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

Spanish Mac. and lady Fish were thick off Boynton beaches yesterday with scattered bait pods.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

released wrote:No pods Sunday AM off Ft Lauderdale. Need that NE blow..
Thanks. Good to have eyes on the beach in the morning as I thought about taking a quick look myself.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

I don't usually post so much because I am not an expert but this site has been a good resource to me so I can at least contribute here with what I've observed during the Fall run.

Last night in Boca around 5:30 with my 2 year old son in tow so my range was limited. Several groups of rods in the water but no discernable action and no baitpods to be seen. Walked south and finally stopped just to wet my line with a bucktail as I thought that would be it.

Fished for about 25 minutes and noticed a boat about 30 yds off the beach back towards the parking lot (9-12 minute walk carrying everything/everybody). Alot of little minnows washing up onshore and some mullet mixed in. Tossed out a mirrorlure and picked up a couple pompano.

Also tossed out some cut bait I had with a jigmaster and 7' penn slammer boat rod. Maybe went 10 yards and had a little birds nest as well!? Not thrilled to use it. Was going to pick up a 10' conventional rod but now think I will look for a penn ssv6500 or maybe larger?

Off thread topic but I'll take suggestions. I think the 6500 with braid backing will give me enough capacity and drag without adding the weight of the larger reels to land one of the larger fish I was spooled on last Saturday. Not sure about needing baitrunner/live liner feature.

Darkness and a little lightning behind us off the beach and we were out to watch the game! Go 'Noles!!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Slammer wrote: I think the 6500 with braid backing will give me enough capacity and drag without adding the weight of the larger reels to land one of the larger fish I was spooled on last Saturday. Not sure about needing baitrunner/live liner feature.
I just got the Spinfisher V 5500 and with 30lb braid (250 yrds) I was almost spooled a couple times (held the spool to break the fish off, think both were sharks). Think the drag goes upwards of 25 lbs, you might wanna spool it with 50 lb braid to max out the drag if need be. I used to be a fan of the liveliner/baitrunners but it seems that's the part that consistently fails so I just replaced the baitrunner with the V 5500.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have used my 6500 to land sharks and tarpon to 200 lbs from the beach.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Thank you both. Seems like it would work for me.

For today, however, I just grabbed a vintage Shakespeare Sigma 080 from the garage that was my dad's. Seemed to be okay so I spooled it with some 30 pink ande I had laying around and pried it off the 7' Kunnan it was on and slapped it on my 12' beefstick.

It might have a chance to land something nice. :cheers:
Last edited by Slammer on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saco1997
Fisher

Post by Saco1997 »

This morning on Ft. Laud beach, schools were way out, only one or two very little pods came in to shore. No pilchard till around 9:30am, when I was packing up (of course). Stuff was busting the mullet 100-300 yards off the beach. Going back tonight to see whats cookin. I'll fill in the details later on this evening!

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Saco1997 wrote:This morning on Ft. Laud beach, schools were way out, only one or two very little pods came in to shore. No pilchard till around 9:30am, when I was packing up (of course). Stuff was busting the mullet 100-300 yards off the beach. Going back tonight to see whats cookin. I'll fill in the details later on this evening!
Is it possible to kayak out to fish those pods offshore or is that asking for trouble?

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Slammer wrote:
Saco1997 wrote:This morning on Ft. Laud beach, schools were way out, only one or two very little pods came in to shore. No pilchard till around 9:30am, when I was packing up (of course). Stuff was busting the mullet 100-300 yards off the beach. Going back tonight to see whats cookin. I'll fill in the details later on this evening!
Is it possible to kayak out to fish those pods offshore or is that asking for trouble?
I would, but then again I'll paddle out 3 miles looking for tuna and wahoo. It's all about your comfort and experience, and only you can answer that...

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This week has been hit and miss have seen a few keeper Pomps have started to show and the Mack bite is getter better, Small Ladyfish around and alot of little Jacks and Blue runners.

Psshhhh......after it gets rough snapper like to feed when it calms ----- is that a rope or an underwater ocean cho cho moving on the bottom keep an eye out for the WALKERS ----"BUGS"

A couple of small pods of mullet move south then north in lauderdale by the sea I think they are not sure where to go right now with the north current.

Small sardines stretched out along the trough in numerous schools North and South of Anglins Pier, these left later in the morning but had been around since yesterday.

I will try to update this thread daily - Morning and Evening with what I know passes and moves south through Broward and what I hear to the North this next week or so.

Things should start to change this Tuesday-Wednesday and it is looking very good Thursday, Friday, Saturday just hope the front holds and pushes through fast not slow and we may see a nice Temp drop, but they are forecasting very little temp change I am just wishful thinking and having some optimism.

But keep in mind that almost every year something is happening around the 1st of November so I figure we should see some nice fishing the next 2 weeks. Thank you Fish Gods

Also thanks to all of you for making these post and Reports they are very helpful and remember you do not have to give exact location just an area, Thank again ALL
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

thanks for the heads up on the bugs tommy
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Last night, Boca Raton, 5 to 8. Feeding frenzy, non-stop. All-out beach assault. :bounce: :reeling: :happyfisherman: :pistols: :auto: :fish: :dude:

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Women and children, a few men as well, frantically tried throwing baitfish back into the water to save them from a sandy death. I was hit in the back several times accidentally by these acts of "heroism". Funny stuff.

A snorkeler said he spotted tarpon and blacktips swimming and feeding on bait about 100 yds out a couple hours earlier. I didn't stop casting to ask him how he made it back in.

A catch every cast non-stop if you wanted ladyfish or jacks. Big ladyfish (my baby tarpon!) gave my 4000 a work out. Switched to dead bait for awhile to go for something bigger. 5 minutes felt like an eternity with that much surface action. Back to artificials because it was too much fun.

Heard there were blues but I didn't pick any up. Ladyfish were swarming on anything I tossed.

I started to work the bottom and got one massive hook up. 2 minutes in and I feel the pop. #@$%! Confused because I was using the big ol' Sigma 080 with 30# and an 80# tippet. The hook from a brand new large tsunami bucktail pulled clean out. Why now, not again!?! 0 for 4 on beasts. Anyway, fun evening.

Has anyone ever kept a ladyfish for fresh cut bait or frozen cut bait? Nothing I caught, jacks or ladyfish were small enough to toss out live.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

We used to use Ladyfish for cut bait and strips.

Dania Bch yesterday AM, giant pod of finger mullet and minnows. Nothing feeding on them at all! They got broken up and some went south, some went North. As the morning progressed, they hung out at the ocean side of the sand bar, nothing feeding on them out there etiher. Caught 3 very small palm sized Jacks on a rattletrap though! It was fun watching them hit it and chase it to the sand line... :happyfisherman:

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

[quote="Dragon"]We used to use Ladyfish for cut bait and strips.

Thanks, I thought it would be worth a shot. Out of the 20 something I caught I kept a couple for that purpose.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Yesterday around 10 am huge pod of mullet in lake worth icw getting hammered by big jacks. Lots of fun on top water plugs when they were within casting distance.

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Post by gatorjwade »

"boy oh boy oh boy!" (Flounder in Animal House)
...looks like we have some 20mph wind from the NE coming this weekend!...

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/boca_raton

:bounce:
Jeff

Saco1997
Fisher

Post by Saco1997 »

not a single baitfish on ft laud beach at my location this morning.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

gatorjwade wrote:"boy oh boy oh boy!" (Flounder in Animal House)

Winds 15 - 20 mph starting Wednesday night and staying with 5 ft waves through next Tuesday. Water temp dropping 5 - 9 degrees. Fishing or surfing bonanza??? :nilly:

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Slammer wrote:
gatorjwade wrote:"boy oh boy oh boy!" (Flounder in Animal House)

Winds 15 - 20 mph starting Wednesday night and staying with 5 ft waves through next Tuesday. Water temp dropping 5 - 9 degrees. Fishing or surfing bonanza??? :nilly:
BOTH!!! :reeling: :reeling: :happyfisherman: :cheers: :reeling:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

It is looking QUITE interesting... This may be it!

-swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

rare wrote:
swordfish wrote:It is looking QUITE interesting... This may be it!

-swordfish
Some of us didnt want this weather this week :thumbdown:

i mean why the hell not its beautifull fishing weather if the wind actualy kicks up
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Its not nice weather if you were planning on being in the Dry Tortugas this weekend.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

yeah that sure is a shame if the weather actualy kicks up but i doubt it just to be honest how often if the weather man on point with what he saying
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

bunch of women
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Return to “Florida Fishing Runs Fall and Spring”