2012 SE Florida Fall Mullet RUN!!

This area is by invitation ONLY --- Ask me if your not able to view
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

2012 SE Florida Fall Mullet RUN!!

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

So post up what you see as for Mullet moving, Photos and your fish catches from the schools if your fishing them.

another Year

The text below is some stuff about the mullet moving, its just my opinion and may help those that don't understand it and wish to have a little more info.

September
This month migratory fish began to move in, as a result, the bait is not happy so it moves on out. Our resident backwater mullet begin to stir, most years as this starts the mullet does not seem to know if it's going North or South, so on some days that pod of mullet can pass you a couple of times if your sitting on a pier or inlet. As the end of the month comes the mullet correct themselves and head steadily South. The wind starts to come out of the Northeast more and the surf current begins to head South more consistently and with that the mullet run is on, those Northern Mullet find their way arriving overnight. When the winds blows hard and holds them against the coast we get a better run with predatory fish in the pods. However, it's not so good with a West wind which tends to push the mullet out. We never really know when that run will begin but last week of September or first two weeks of October is a good marker, a couple of close storms can bring it on even better and sooner, our water temps will begin to drop also.

Something else I wrote and posted in another thread is below

Three things I believe starts it.
1. The shift in the earths axis at Fall time changes shadow lines which tells them the approximate time. Many people don't think about this one, but think about it in the back water there is many shadow lines and when they change it must signal something I think.
2. Water temperature
3. Current movement to the south

What helps it
1. Storms that force the water movement to the south
2. as already mentioned Water updrafts form these storms make a water temp change

This is just my opinnion
I am just a fisherman " what do I really know"
Sounds Good

But really if someone can put it a better way please do
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Re: 2012 SE Florida Fall Mullet RUN!!

Post by Backwoods123 »

seen some fingers yesterday swimming around whiskey creek inside john lloyd.... i cant wait

bluefin71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluefin71 »

great job thanks for the info Tommy!

Seen a few small pods (20-50 in each) moving south from Boynton, jacks were killin em and of course no rod in truck :evil:

david32809
Fisher

Post by david32809 »

Seen a few pods last weekend at Playalinda Beach.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

was on the surf cams and saw a big school/pod of mullet around Jensen beach. saw a couple big balls of mullet around Vero Beach.

paddleout
Fisher

Post by paddleout »

Good sized schools of Mullet and Greenies all over palm beach, getting blasted all up and down the beach. Got a fat 10lb jack, a monster ladyfish and a nice lil 20'' snook.

JustTVH
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JustTVH »

A nice pod of mullet moved through FTL last night. Capt. Jeff Maggio picked out two nice fatties and went 0/3 on tarpon.

southerntide
Fisher

Post by southerntide »

Saw two schools of big mullet yesterday in the surf at Boca Beach... Looks like the run might start early!!! :cheers:

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Fished lw pier this morning. Saw 5 pods of mullet heading south.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Various Pods of Fingers and bigger sized Mullet around Homestead area, inlet has them right now as does the bay.

bluewater
Fisher

Post by bluewater »

Some nice size pods going through deerfield beach last evening. They were all the big mullet. A few big tarpon with them.

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

seen some last nite going up the new river as far as the rustic inn resteraunt
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

hansummoe
Fisher

Post by hansummoe »

Sebastian Inlet, The "mullet run" has commenced! Keeper Reds have began to show, along with Snook (mostly over slot). :cheers:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Out around 6am in the palm beach area huge pods getting destroyed in the inlets. Wave after wave. Landed some jacks and saw a few nice snook but they weren't biting

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I don't get what the big deal is with the mullet run. They're not that great to eat, and really hard to catch on a yo-yo. I recommend sticking to boo-runnas... How do ya cook em? Do you smoke em or just straight up sashimi? But if you're looking for the mullet they're all over the beaches at this point. Tight lines, googan out.

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:I don't get what the big deal is with the mullet run. They're not that great to eat, and really hard to catch on a yo-yo. I recommend sticking to boo-runnas... How do ya cook em? Do you smoke em or just straight up sashimi? But if you're looking for the mullet they're all over the beaches at this point. Tight lines, googan out.
We use them for live bait sport fishing. Please tell us exactly where you see them :bounce: . We need the info.

- date?
- time?
- beach/location?

That info really helps us. Thanks,
Get your Concealed Weapons License: http://www.homeandselfdefense.com

catch and release fisherman (fish are my friends!)

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Doubt this is more than just resident fish, however I will post regardless. I saw a VERY steady stream of mullet down around Key Largo. There were no predators with them that i could see, I was working mullet type lures both deep and shallow with no hits. I mean, I was there for about 3 hours and the "mullet highway" was still going strong when I left. I am looking forward to all the predators showing up down here!

-swordfish

eddieftl
Fisher

Post by eddieftl »

Fished S end of ft laud beach this morining from 6-9... saw a few tarpon rolling, but no mullet. They are pretty plentiful in the canals...

southerntide
Fisher

Post by southerntide »

Starting to consistently see more and more mullet on the beaches in Boca during the evening.

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

southerntide wrote:Starting to consistently see more and more mullet on the beaches in Boca during the evening.
Thanks for the report

BluePotter
Fisher

Post by BluePotter »

Cast netted as many as I could want 9/6/12 off the 704 Royal Palm Bridge, in WPB. The pod was MASSIVE. Locals keep telling me Hurricaine Isaac is balling up the mullet, and pushing loads of snapper into the IC. I had poop luck fishing the livies off the bridge - 3 small catfish, and a small stingray. The same week I've been catching Jack Crevalle and more Catfish using bottom rigs. Keep waiting for something big and hungry.

FWIW, I was on the WPB southern side between the bridge and apartment during incoming low tide right after sundown and the tide shifted. Couldn't believe how many were in the school, and couldn't beleive again how the predators were slamming the poop out of them. Threw a mirrolure through the thick of them for a bit, but ran out of time around 11:00pm. I stuck around long enough to fill my bait bucket with 3 casts of a 5' net, and now I have frozen bait for the next couple weeks. Am writing this now instead of fishing, so more updates from my closest spot soon.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Decent sized schools getting busted this morning while catching bait on card sound road. Was pretty constant action all morning with them. They only came within netting distance once. Was nice to see though.

Hook'N'BossNuggets
Weekend Warrior

Post by Hook'N'BossNuggets »

Found some big dog mullet in the intercoastal in the ft lauderdale/ dania beach area yesterday. Still on the look out for the fingers, soon!

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

Hook'N'BossNuggets wrote:Found some big dog mullet in the intercoastal in the ft lauderdale/ dania beach area yesterday. Still on the look out for the fingers, soon!
Thanks for the report. The finger mullet will come soon. I did see a small pod of finger mullet in deerfield beach last Monday.

Tonyc
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tonyc »

Fingers and large mullet all over deerfield last night big schools going thru most of the night nothing eating them though.

JustTVH
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JustTVH »

Good intel thx tony! Follow @themulletrun on twitter for realtime updates from the guys on the water.

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I have noticed this year that most schools of mullet I've seen are not getting busted hard or even at all. Last year if there was a school they were getting busted by tarpon, snook, jacks, etc. Hope that changes.

Tonyc
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tonyc »

To much rain in my area the fishing has been dead here i think cause that spillway has been open so much the water is getting to fresh . Fish have moved away . Ill be back out tonight .

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

Tonyc wrote:To much rain in my area the fishing has been dead here i think cause that spillway has been open so much the water is getting to fresh . Fish have moved away . Ill be back out tonight .
I'd join ya Tony But Im working till Tuesday

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

lots of mullet pods in the icw around lake worth (3pm high tide)...all different sizes from a few inches and some over a foot.. didnt see anything really crashing them though

Return to “Florida Fishing Runs Fall and Spring”