tips for the boat tired of getting skunked

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

tips for the boat tired of getting skunked

Post by clarence2society »

ok i knwo i have posted before but i am so tired of spending all this money to go out and get fish and coming home empty...

we usually go out of hilsboro inlet and itried to find the hydro wreck last time out which i think i did.. but it was night time and hard to see boca inlet and my measurement of miles is not so good while im out there not sure how ican tell how far out i am....

any tips in my pm for where to fish wrecks and how to go about it..... and i know i asked about trolling but thus far i have yet to catch anything at all trolling, got some new lures though i wanna try this week weather permitting....

basically i need tips for targeting , grouper, snapper, kings, wahoo, dolphin, etc etc.. i want edibles especially some king steaks!!!

i have no idea where to go and my handheld gps is garbage it sucks horribly... trying to find a new one.... so let the advice begin...by the way if anyone ever wants to go out on a thurs or friday i am always ready to go:) my boat is pretty good on gas too for a 305

gdm phil
SHARKER

Re: tips for the boat tired of getting skunked

Post by gdm phil »

clarence2society wrote:ok i knwo i have posted before but i am so tired of spending all this money to go out and get fish and coming home empty...

we usually go out of hilsboro inlet and itried to find the hydro wreck last time out which i think i did.. but it was night time and hard to see boca inlet and my measurement of miles is not so good while im out there not sure how ican tell how far out i am....

any tips in my pm for where to fish wrecks and how to go about it..... and i know i asked about trolling but thus far i have yet to catch anything at all trolling, got some new lures though i wanna try this week weather permitting....

basically i need tips for targeting , grouper, snapper, kings, wahoo, dolphin, etc etc.. i want edibles especially some king steaks!!!

i have no idea where to go and my handheld gps is garbage it sucks horribly... trying to find a new one.... so let the advice begin...by the way if anyone ever wants to go out on a thurs or friday i am always ready to go:) my boat is pretty good on gas too for a 305
download the navionic app. I personally use it when I go out and usually fill the box. I guess the best advice I can personally give you is basic basic basic. 30-50# leader decent length and a tripple hook rig.

ive done it myself and over think things when basic fishing works better
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

just searched navionics there are like 10 aps ranging from 9.99 to 50 :P

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

clarence

if your in a boat the best thing you can do is ditch the hand held and get you a gps/sounder like a Garmin 441 or something similar a hand held or the phone apps will get you close and then you have to use the sounder to find the wreck or bottom relief , with are 441 we can put the number in and go to a spot and then start searching the bottom for the wreck or item on bottom that we are looking for

just having the gps isnt going to help you get on the wreck , most only give you numbers to a gen area of where it is and then you have to look for it , you could be 5,10,15 feet from it and never find it

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

Hey man, the boat is nearly in the water, soon as It is I'll take you to a couple of my snapper spots. Another week or two.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

ADAM awesome :) my boy jaso nand i are going out tonight.....and until morning i think...

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

clarence2society wrote:ADAM awesome :) my boy jaso nand i are going out tonight.....and until morning i think...
Head out of Hillsborough and go south once you get to the steeple stop around there in about 40 - 50ft water if the current is too strong go in shallower great for yellow tails.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

not sure where that is.. pm

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

depending on your cash flow, i would recommend hiring a professional guide to go out on your boat. It will be well worth the cost and the next time you go, you can use the same spots and techniques that he shows you. The first time I went to Bimini on my boat all i caught was barracuda, so the next time i went i hired a guide to go on my boat. After that i would clean up on snappers, groupers and all the other usual suspects. Most guides will go on your boat for less than they charge to go on the guides boat. also, as other people said, you will need a good gps and bottom finder to "exactly" find the wreck, and once you find it, drop a buoy marker on it to mark it. this will help you line up your boat with the wreck

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Very very simple get a decent gps
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I use Navionics on my iPhone when I go out on the yak. Based on what I read with the fish finder, the wreck locations off Pompano are spot on. A good bet for any Pelagic fish is to troll the reef edge, where it drops from 60' or so down to 100+'. That 100-120' zone is a good starting point.
Next, look for any weed lines, color changes or current rips. Those are good areas. If you find all 3 or 4 in the same area, FISH THERE.
You can troll spoons on planers, X-Raps, ballyhoo etc zigzagging down the coast in these areas.
I don't really bottom fish cause it's too hard to anchor a yak, and chumming might bring unwanted guests, but I still get grouper and snapper when I try. Anchor up current of the wreck and chum. Drop down cut baits so the fish get used to eating and get fired up. Live pinfish or ballyhoo will get you grouper and muttons. Vertical jigs work great and you can drift and get everything from tuna, AJs, grouper , mutts, and I've even caught a few tilefish which are awesome eating.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

It took me 3 trips to be able to land fish... and my cousin 6 trips...

Go find yourself a good GPS. That's the first thing and learn how to use it. Go buy one of those hotspot maps with the cords... use those for now until you can find your own spots....

Once you get to the area, drift your boat and drop your bait(try to drift around 1miles per hr to cover ground and not too fast). I would start with squid bait and bounce it off the bottom. Once you catch a good fish, then mark the place and anchor up. Start catching fish! The farther out you get, the more likely you'll find fish as people don't want to go out that far to hunt for fish.

Also those small fish that you are catching off the bottom some can be use as bait for grouper!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

tears143 wrote:It took me 3 trips to be able to land fish... and my cousin 6 trips...

Go find yourself a good GPS. That's the first thing and learn how to use it. Go buy one of those hotspot maps with the cords... use those for now until you can find your own spots....Once you get to the area, drift your boat and drop your bait(try to drift around 1miles per hr to cover ground and not too fast). I would start with squid bait and bounce it off the bottom. Once you catch a good fish, then mark the place and anchor up. Start catching fish! The farther out you get, the more likely you'll find fish as people don't want to go out that far to hunt for fish.

Also those small fish that you are catching off the bottom some can be use as bait for grouper!

exactly what he said

i only use my depthfinder

gps is to mark once ive found fish other then that its all luck n skill
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

went on Sweet Emily out of pompano today with my friend Mike it was an early morning we are still drinking last minute thing...lol... he got a cobe that was "short" but they didnt even measure it which i didnt like...i mean come on measure afish like that at least for bragging rights:( i got one yellow tail, and mike hit a couple bonita.. i had another good hit but the leader was gone form the swivel somehow:( when mike got the cobe there were some big followers but someone else wrapped me up so bad that i could not even try to throw anythign to get one:( damn it! it was a good trip though for last second lets GO!!!

here is the funny thign we took my baot out for 3 hours wed before the radio show at 9 and check this out right where they had us anchored today was where i was fishing last night.. i mean a bit further out but we tried diff depths in the same zone... so i was on fish when i was out at night just drifting wasnt working well i guess. but i had the right area for sure:) at least one of the good zones. i wanted to take mine out tonight but it was kinda rough otu there today and my boat is big enough but kinda light.. nto up for bouncing round in 5 footers:P
also learned a lil not much.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Like someone said... even if you are at the same zone but 15 feet off the mark, you won't be getting any bites. This is especially true for reefs and ledges. Fish move around a lot as well.

I think you are getting the idea just a few more trips and you should hone into it.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

sucks though i cant anchor there:(

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

any other suggestions for gps sounder?? under 200? im reading botu the 441 and ppl say it blurs out and costs another hundred for maps and gotta get sd cards etc... blah blah blah... and humminbirds suck horribly

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

clarence2society wrote:any other suggestions for gps sounder?? under 200? im reading botu the 441 and ppl say it blurs out and costs another hundred for maps and gotta get sd cards etc... blah blah blah... and humminbirds suck horribly
it dont blur out , just need to read the manual and figure out how to work it , people that have been getting the blur have had the gain for the transducer on full trying to find fish and you cant do that , we have to adjust it for the water we are fishing if its clear water you can turn the gain down some and if its muddy you can turn it up a bit but to set it on full and try and find fish will blur it out to where the screen is just a red blob as far as the garmin g2 visison card , send me a 2 gig sd card and ill make you a copy i have a few maps

Garmin BlueChart G2Vision - VUS007R - Norfolk - Charleston
Garmin BlueChart G2Vision - VUS010R - Southeast Florida
Garmin BlueChart G2Vision - VUS515L - Brownsville - Key Largo
Garmin G2 Vision VUS009L - jaxsonville - key west
Garmin G2 Vision VUS011R - SOUTHWEST FL
Garmin G2 Vision VUS512L - Mid Atlantic

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

heres the diffrence with out the sd card and one with the sd card
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

wow dude!!!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

been tryign to find a garmin with good transducer all day online... for a good price no luck thus far

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i have the lowrance elite 5hdi couldnt be happyer
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

ya knwo what bro i was looking at the elite 5 sdi... or whatever and it looks pretty bad freakin ass and price range is around the same... but that doesnt have gps on it its just depth and fish right?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Oh another thing is.. if you are catch sharks left and right.. time to switch spot lol. You're not on top of a reef or where there's fish..

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

On that same token Tears, when out on the flats (not sure if you will every fish them) when you see sharks that is the BEST spot to fish for reds etc, for whatever reason it never fails, there will be fish there when you start seeing a bunch of little blacktips etc. I am guessing that means that there is a lot of food there. Just a thought.

-swordfish

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

swordfish wrote:On that same token Tears, when out on the flats (not sure if you will every fish them) when you see sharks that is the BEST spot to fish for reds etc, for whatever reason it never fails, there will be fish there when you start seeing a bunch of little blacktips etc. I am guessing that means that there is a lot of food there. Just a thought.

-swordfish
Oh, everytime when I drop on a spot and get hit by sharks after sharks... that will be the only fish I catch offshore. That's my experience. hhhhmmm Maybe next time I'll try the spot again.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

clarence2society wrote:ya knwo what bro i was looking at the elite 5 sdi... or whatever and it looks pretty bad freakin ass and price range is around the same... but that doesnt have gps on it its just depth and fish right?

no its has both split screen
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

whats teh difference between the dsi and hdi??? i like the lowrance

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER