JIGGING from Party Boats - A SMALL INTRO

This Forum is all about Boat Jigging
cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

JIGGING from Party Boats - A SMALL INTRO

Post by cudaman »

I hope this helps somebody. Let's read and write some :study:

The information below is just from my experience. I am not a pro or wanna be pro. I simply like this style of fishing. In regards to my opinions others may think differently or may add to it. There are many styles of fishing and some fit a person or boat and some don’t. The information below is considering that I fish in South Florida and not in areas where big Bluefin or Yellowfin tunas are found. We also fish in relatively calm waters depending on what areas we are fishing. The information below is fit for the type of fish we catch here in South Florida. BE AWARE! The writer and future writers are not responsible for any injuries, bankruptcies, or divorces that may occur while being addicted to this type of fishing.

Jigging in the party boats

When doing so make sure you are away from the other anglers since many charter boats still don’t like people using braid. But as the years have passed many party boats have regulars that only do jigging and no other style of fishing, there are some that do mix it up. Here in South Florida the Reward Fleet, the Kelley Fleet, and the Sealegs do have regulars that jig on their trips. Most jigging is done while daytime fishing and drifting.

Getting ready to jig on a South Florida Party boat
DSC02634-party boat.JPG
Rods

With jigging a specialized jigging rod is best. Parabolic action is desired by many others like a fast tapered rod in case the fish goes under the boat. It is a matter of choice, what you feel comfortable with is the best rod for you.

Rod size

It’s your choice but rods that are 6 feet long work great on party boats here in South Florida. You will find that you can only use shorter rods when fishing at the stern of a boat or where the railing of the boat isn’t wide, arched, or high. A 6 foot rod will give you the flexibility to fish anywhere on the party boats.

Having a heavy rod and a light rod is best. This way you can fish heavy jigs and lighter jigs while giving the jigs the desired action.

-A heavy rod to South Florida standards would be in the 300 gram range.
-A light rod would be in the 200 gram range.
-If you like no nonsense get them in the boat quick type fishing then a 400 to 500 gram rod would be the one. Just wish you good luck jigging with that all trip long.

If you can afford it a custom rod is the way to go since it will be made to your specifications and likings. If not then there are some under $100 affordable ones out there like the Hopper rods, Star rods, and Ugly Sticks..

By the way in this forum we have great Rod Builders that have built awesome jigging rods. Look for them here:
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Top of the line:

No need to spend $1,000 on a fishing rod unless you can really afford it. Even $1000 rods will break when the load or drag is not set correctly. If the line digs into the spool because it was not fill properly tight, any rod will break. So I will just start with some mid price range.

In the mid ( $200 to $400) All proven Light rods:
Spinal Rods (5’4” to 5’6”) Around $200 to $350- They will not be selling factory rods anymore only custome rods
Jigging Master Power Spell Rods (normally 5 foot) Around $320 to $400
Black Hole Cape Cod Special Rods (up to 5’6”) Around $380
Ocean Tackle International (normally 6 foot rods) Around $200 to $300
Star Plasma (5’2”) around $300 to $330

In the lower end ($70 to $199) I just want to try jigging every now and then rods, these rods WILL do the job but are much heavier than others mentioned above:
Hopper rods (5’8” to 6’) they go for $100 to $120.00 ---proven ok
Star Stellar Lite Jigging Rods (5’9” to 6’4”) Around $100 to $200---proven ok
Ugly stick Tiger Lite jigging rods (5’8” to 6’6”) Around $70 ---proven ok

Jigs

The weight and shape of the jigs needed depends a lot on the current you are fishing. I have from 80 grams (for football size blackfins, but blue runners love them too) to 300 grams. Most of my jigs are 150 to 300 grams. Longer slim jigs will get to the bottom quicker. Rounder and wide flat sided jigs will take longer to get to the bottom but may have better fluttering action. It is always recommended to have different shape jigs since the different action will trigger the bites.

Here are the most popular sizes. As a rule of thumb one can say 1 gram per foot of water depth. But the current at the time of fishing rules that rule. It is always good to have several shapes and sizes. Below are some examples on the size used here in South Florida.

80 g = 2.82191 oz
100 g = 3.52739 oz
120 g = 4.23287 oz
150 g = 5.29109 oz
200 g = 7.05479 oz
240 g = 8.46575 oz
250 g = 8.81849 oz
300 g = 10.5821 oz
400 g = 14.1095 oz ----- Rarely used, if you buy one you will find out why :mrgreen:

Jig colors: It is always good to have a variety of colors. At times blue will be a hot color, then it will be pink, or chrome, etc... It is always a good idea to get jigs that have some kind of glow in them. Jigs with flash will get the attention of toothy critters faster. Most people I know will keep a selection of about 4 colors of their choice and have one of each in two different sizes.

Some good old diamond jigs is always a great thing to have, the hammered ones work best and are way cheaper than vertical jigs. Another good choice for versatile jigs is the Crippled Herrings in the 2 to 5 ounce sizes. Like the Diamond jigs you can cast them and vertical jig with them.

A good trick to do is to have a solid ring and split ring on your mono that you can constantly use to swap from jig to jig. Buy or make assist hooks that can be interchanged as needed.

You can also make your own jigs, like the ones I made below. I used a 3/16" drill bit for drilling metal on drill with slow torque so the bit won't spin and will drill correctly. I used reflective tape. You can buy it online but I got mines from an Art Outlet store.Below is an example of the reflective tape. You will not need special glue just use the tape. Also if you are planing on releasing fish then grind the sharper edge of the butter knives.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/reflect...es/309100.aspx
Herbert Hans Muller knife jigs.jpg
And yes, the knives do work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enLG5kK2xsg&feature

Reels

An 8k or 10k class reel is the best for fishing our South Florida waters because they are light and have the power to get the type of fish we go for in the boat while having tons of fun and not end up tired at the end of the trip. The gear ratio can be your choice; Lower gear to fight big fish better or high speed to retrieve the jigs faster and play the fish longer. Here are some examples:

If you can afford it then:
Stella 8000S
Stella 10000
Saltiga 6000
Saltiga 4500
Penn Torque TRQS5-B

In the mid:
Saragosa 8000
Saragosa 10000
Saltist 4500H
Saltist 5000H

In the lower end:
Baitrunner 4500
Baitrunner 6500
Spheros 10000
Cedros CJ-55S
Penn Battle 6000
Penn Baja Special

There are other reels the ones above are just the ones that come to mind. Others can add.

Fishing line

To jig braid is preferred. Most people I know here in South Florida use 50lb or 65lb. Many love a brand or two. Here are some examples of brands:
Jerry Brown solid
Diamond 2nd generation
Tuffline XP
Daiwa Boat braid

Leader?

In South Florida most people use 40 to 60lbs mono-filament leaders any where from 4 feet to 22 feet. Keep in mind that Braid has only around 3% stretch. The shorter the leader the more risk to brake the line (specially at the knot). For this same reason many would recommend to stay away from fluorocarbon because it doesn't stretch like mono.

Stay away from wire, you will get less hits to no hits.

Assist Hooks
Most jigs come with assist hooks. With time you will find that they include either cheap or just want to make this look complete to sell. Some come with good hollow braid and good hooks. I started making my own since these are so easy to do and no complicated knots are necessary. The hooks need to be wider that the jigs you are using or they will tangle on the jigs a lot making you miss the hook ups. The assist hook should be 1/4 of the length of the jig or to the mid section of the jig if targeting king mackerels (as you gain experience you will notice why). For the hooks you can use Live Bait hooks. Don't have to be snell hooks but it would be better for your hookup.

I like this way of doing assist hooks. I do let the super glue dry out and don't really use the shrink tube. A shrink tube will aid in less cutoffs. This is a matter of choice. It works with and with out.

What knots?

I like the Bob Sands Knot since it is easy to tie anywhere. i also like a small bimini on my main line and using a wind-on leader with a loop to loop connection.

There are other great but more complicated knots like the PR knot and Sebile knot.

What action do I give my jigs?

Let it drop reel in the slack and jig away! Slow jigging action at the bottom (yo-yo style) works for bottom feeders like snapper and groupers. Bring the jig half way up and drop again. If you do not get hit on second or third try continue jigging towards the boat in a faster motion to get the pelagic fish. Within the first trip you will more than like figure out what works best so just give it time.

Video on jigging, featuring Jose Wejebe, may he rest in peace.

Mutton snapper below was caught using the Yo-Yo action
IMG_5465-Herbert Hans mutton.jpg
Amberjack below was caught jigging faster (but normally just about any action will get them)
DSC03067-Herbert Hans AJ.jpg
Tuna below was caught jigging at night with glow jig faster jigging in the top water column
DSC03075-Herbert hans BF Tuna.jpg

:toast:

May The Fishing Force be With You

A want to be member of : TEAM TWOA

When I have the time I will add pictures and links.

You can all add what you like to this thread or just ask questions. Just hit Reply to topic. I know many will be willing to answer them, there are plenty good fishermen in here helping those that are "Boatless" and those that do have a boat but love to fish from shore and party boats as well.
For other collaborators see replies below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Jigging from Party Boats - a small intro

Post by sincityg8 »

Very good info so far. I will have to make sure I pick up some 40-60 lb mono.
TEAM CHANNEL 2 IS MY KRYPTONITE!!!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Re: JIGGING from Party Boats - A SMALL INTRO

Post by BEOWULF »

Hey Cuda-you-da-man thanks for that info. So does 60lb mono get cut off much?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks guys. :toast: Normally the 60 is used to fish around wrecks. It will still get cut off but sometimes it does survive. Like with wire be prepared to get less hits.

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

Is there any advantage to having the hooks on top of the jig or on the bottom. I have seen both just not sure if one setup is better than the other.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Read this link guys. Intro to Jigging

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f68/intro- ... ners-4449/

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You put the assist hooks on the solid ring at the top of the jigs. There are certain jigs that you can put an assist hook on the bottom of the jig but those need to be through wire jigs.

The link above is a great link but more for tuna and big fish we do not have here in South Florida. Many people buy those big reels and heavy rods just to end up selling them and buying the lighter stuff fit for our waters. If you travel those size reels, rods, and jigs may be for you.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Thats true but it does have good info on jigs, rigging, and etc.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

My musky rod with a Slammer & 40lb braid works great for jigging!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

BEOWULF wrote:My musky rod with a Slammer & 40lb braid works great for jigging!

That's what it's all about. Don't go nuts buying all kinds of expensive stuff until you really know what you like. If an existing rod works for you why not keep on using it. But then you get the day that you ask someone next to you if you can test their set up and like it better then you can make your mind up about getting another set up.

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

Very informative thanks for the write up :toast:

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

cudaman wrote: I am not sure about the Sealegs.
Nice write up Herb. :dude:

We jigg all the time on the day trips. Most jiggers prefer the bow cause it's away from the other lines.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Herb man way to go as usual bro and thanks for putting in the time to help others as you ALWAYS do man..Props to ya and good luck on your future trips :toast:

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks people and thanks for confirming that Sepaik, I will add it on. It would be nice if some of you would share your experiences with jigging here in Florida.

CYA basis Nelson, :biglaugh:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Great write-up Herbert, thanks for taking the time to make it.

My go-to setup is a Saragosa 8k with 50 lb Jerry Brown, on a 110-240 gram Shimano Trevala rod. This will handle 90% of what you will hook on the South FL wrecks. I have been worked by a couple big AJ's that I couldn't slow down with an almost locked drag before they get me into the wreck, but most fish are no match for this setup. I also have a Saragosa 18k on a Hopper 250-500 gram rod, I use this if I am having to use big jigs or there are BIG fish around. I've landed AJ's up to 50 lbs with this setup in 10 minutes, but it is overkill for most fishing.

I get most of my jigs from Ebay, or various discount online tackle stores. I've also found some great deals at the various marine flea markets. I rarely spend more then $3-$4 per jig, I'm a firm believer that the action you give the jig is far more important then the jig itself.

I use about 3 feet of 50 lb flouro leader on my light setup, and 60-80 lb flouro on the heavier one.

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

Is there any advantage going with one brand of braid over another. There seems to be a ton out there. Also is color a concern at all.

I guess I am going to have to go to some knot tying classes. All I really used is a Uni and a Palomar. Well I have 3 weeks I guess to figure it all out.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Everyone has their own preferences for braid. Personally, I love Jerry Brown spectra, it has never failed me. I do use Powerpro for my light inshore setups, 10 lb and under. But for jigging, JB is it for me.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Great write-up Herbert, thanks for taking the time to make it.

My go-to setup is a Saragosa 8k with 50 lb Jerry Brown, on a 110-240 gram Shimano Trevala rod. This will handle 90% of what you will hook on the South FL wrecks. I have been worked by a couple big AJ's that I couldn't slow down with an almost locked drag before they get me into the wreck, but most fish are no match for this setup. I also have a Saragosa 18k on a Hopper 250-500 gram rod, I use this if I am having to use big jigs or there are BIG fish around. I've landed AJ's up to 50 lbs with this setup in 10 minutes, but it is overkill for most fishing.

I get most of my jigs from Ebay, or various discount online tackle stores. I've also found some great deals at the various marine flea markets. I rarely spend more then $3-$4 per jig, I'm a firm believer that the action you give the jig is far more important then the jig itself.

I use about 3 feet of 50 lb flouro leader on my light setup, and 60-80 lb flouro on the heavier one.
I'm a little surprised to hear that you use flouro for leader for jigging. I use to use flouro as well but found that mono is better because you get more strech or a shock factor when using mono. Your thoughts.....
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

sincityg8 wrote:Also is color a concern at all.
Color doesn't matter a whole lot. Remember that jigging is a reaction bite and the fish will be reacting to the motion of the lure. They won't be spooked by the color of the line. The Power pro Depth Hunter has multi-colors.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

For that short of a leader, I'm not sure that stretch difference between flouro or mono is much of a factor. I like the additional abrasion resistance of flourocarbon. If I didn't have flouro though, I wouldn't hesitate to use mono leader instead.

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

the multi color depth line is great to know where you are .... by counting colors as you jig up you can tell..... on the 31st trip I got hit 5 colors up which equaled 125 feet.... 2nd fish was the same 5 colors up.... if you knew that you were in 250 feet then all you had to do was drop back down 6 or 7 colors and not waste time going all the way to the bottom which is what I did and sure enough 2 colors up I was in the zone and got hit again....

Also I noticed that the multi colors, blue, and high viz lines were eaiser to see and untangle unlike the usual green power pro....
Rick

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

Thanks for the info that will help my decision on color for sure.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:For that short of a leader, I'm not sure that stretch difference between flouro or mono is much of a factor. I like the additional abrasion resistance of flourocarbon. If I didn't have flouro though, I wouldn't hesitate to use mono leader instead.
I use 10-15ft of leader. This way I can cut off my jigs multiple times without worrying about the leader.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Buy your own solid ring, split ring, and assist hook. You won't have to keep retying your jigs each time you change them out. Just take them off the split ring.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks Rory. :toast:
linh wrote:Buy your own solid ring, split ring, and assist hook. You won't have to keep retying your jigs each time you change them out. Just take them off the split ring.
This is great to do and if you have different size jigs just switch the assist hook. A good pair of split ring pliers is great to have in order to do this.

I like the idea of the multicolor line. I see no difference in the solid colors I have seen many use all different colors and all catch fish.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

There where 3 jiggers on the Sea Legs today. Couple of Amico's and a Blackfin on the jigs. Muttons, Triggers, a huge Red Grouper that had to be returned and the Kings also showed up on bait along with the usual bottom dwellers. The Vermies are like roaches out there!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

It can be done with mono but the current will lift the line up to much for you to really benefit from jigging. You will need heavy and long low resistance jigs. You can just try having a spinner with braid (I think Oscar mayer's Sporting goods has power pro on sale 300 yards for $19.99).

Return to “Jigging”